Out and about with Compo

A few of us will be up your way in a few days time Compo. We turn left for Bonar Bridge though, heading for Assynt. Can't wait. Staying in a Bothy near Loch Borralan if you are out and about.

• Like 1
  • Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out and about in central Sutherland at Forsinard, Garvault and Syre:       Ben Klibreck     Hills around Garvault     Red Deer

Last Thursday saw us off on yet another coastal section of the John O'Groats trail. At the end of our walk we went to the little café in Berriedale, where we met a young girl from New Zealand who was

I wonder if you can see this one, Brew?   Warkworth Castle on a fine November afternoon (2-11-2019)        

Not quite up to Compo, but here goes....Overlooking Cuckmere Valley towards the sea.

Alfriston-11-5-08-028.jpg

Alfriston-11-5-08-033.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
On 5/24/2019 at 8:29 AM, plantfit said:

Saw a large building site there the other week when I drove passed Mary,thats progress and people do need somewhere to live, before any groundworks start though archaelogical surveys have to be carried out and documented although we have physically lost these areas the history is preserved in documents and photo's thankfully, I wonder if the old Scampton airfield will be built on,all the history that place holds

Rog

it would be nice if Scampton was kept just as it was, but if the build on school playing fields just because Tesco move in then there is no chance. I refer to Annie Holgate sports  field and Wigwam sports field in Hucknall. Its no wonder we never do well at the OLYMPIC GAMES.

• Like 1

Whilst deploring the building on sportsfields, I cannot agree with you Mary about Britain not doing well at the Olympic Games. In 2008 we finished fourth in the medals table behind, USA, China and Russia, 2012 we were third behind China and USA, whilst in 2016 we were second behind USA. Given our relative size we have certainly been punching above our weight in recent times.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Whilst deploring the building on sportsfields, I cannot agree with you Mary about Britain not doing well at the Olympic Games. In 2008 we finished fourth in the medals table behind, USA, China and Russia, 2012 we were third behind China and USA, whilst in 2016 we were second behind USA. Given our relative size we have certainly been punching above our weight in recent times.

Especially the cyclists ;)

• Like 2
On 5/25/2019 at 4:41 PM, katyjay said:

When we used to drive from Lancing to our friends in East Dean, we passed this meandering river.

That section of the river down to the sea is known as "The Meanders".

Overshot water wheel,any idea what the smaller overshot water wheel was for Compo?

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

No idea, Rog. The mill has been boarded up since before I moved here 25yrs ago......Perhaps a small electricity generator?  I occasionally see the retired local historian in Wick. I will make a point of asking what he knows about it when I next see him.

Thanks for the lovely comments, gang. Should anyone wish to experience any of the places shown in any of my photos - you know where I am.

• Like 1

I presume the ?house higher up from the lighthouse was also for sale?   Was it just the actual lighthouse or the other building as well that you nearly bought?  

We were going to bid for both but there was a fault in the concrete retaining wall at the back of the house that would have cost more than we could afford to repair, Margie.

• Upvote 1

Went for a walk from Dunbeath to Latheronwheel on Sunday morning. I took some photos that I'm going to post later. For now how about the giant beast walking through the water.  there is a legend of "The Morven Giant" in Caithness. Named after the mountain it is supposed to inhabit.....could this be the legend?

1080_8f4245ae-5f3d-4766-8b08-70724bba2b4

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Looking forward to your next photos Compo. They are stunning. It must be really beautiful up there but I'll bet it's a bugger in winter. B.

• Like 1

Dunbeath to Latheron [See bottom for album link]

Here's a starter for ten..... Of weeds and walls:

1080_9f64c08d-1e38-4e16-8504-67d6bee2a24

The rest of the album is here. If you can't see it I will post individual photos in small batches. Click on the first photo to open the bigger version and you will find captions to the right-hand side. Use forward arrows on right to move through album: 

A walk from Dunbeath to Latheron via the clifftops.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thanks a million Paul ! Again, brilliant pictures. Can I have your permission to use a couple on greetings cards ? Thanking you in anticipation. B

10 hours ago, Beekay said:

Thanks a million Paul ! Again, brilliant pictures. Can I have your permission to use a couple on greetings cards ? Thanking you in anticipation. B

Emailed you Beekay.

Five years ago today. This is me looking back at the first of three tops on Scaraben, Caithness.  

jwhLKmFKoySnEa73cM0Ers-kS8F9I5pHbWUv5OVK

Approaching the main summit of Scaraben:

u0-TT7mN4uwvNcNlwp4YDJnglVc2WLe-WxgqrUK6

• Upvote 1

Afternoon, 3rd July 2015. Dunnet beach north Caithness. Holidays will proceed as booked!

g2rG5Qudom_oifnJgHPA_fMREjp4rd4qOokGne8w

OzrKhktQShw9FyMRT2hoR2Bn9etEe9xECeHTpcdH

Winter will soon be with us once again. This was my upper garden in January:

FSRbKO-K8wR456M87WuC7nS33FGk9kixY8nqKzDx

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A winter squall off Britain's most northerly mainland point, Dunnet Head:

Vug4abgU9ty07MHQdk1YTa0wZhf2Yk7ynNKvBFfJ

eiqHaw7GbPGKz9V2VWAHQRXHUiibvtaBAlNmIlNB

0FTlmdrcWjnYZ59C57ZYpdpkfLMqJfw9BrcVj3zX

YhcohxE014rPMid68KyMIWnHMEOFd4DMhucBaEml

• Like 3