Out and about with Compo

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out and about in central Sutherland at Forsinard, Garvault and Syre:       Ben Klibreck     Hills around Garvault     Red Deer

Last Thursday saw us off on yet another coastal section of the John O'Groats trail. At the end of our walk we went to the little café in Berriedale, where we met a young girl from New Zealand who was

I wonder if you can see this one, Brew?   Warkworth Castle on a fine November afternoon (2-11-2019)        

11 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

She Who Must Be Obeyed,  BK.  I'm missing the photos too.

Cheers LL., an answer all the way from America too. Impressed !!cool2

• Like 1

I can't see the photos either -  have you put them on Fb?  I can enjoy them on there..

It would seem that Compo is posting an enigma to unite us all in agreement. Cracked it !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea why my photos are disappearing. I can't see them now either. I will post a link to my Isle of Stroma photos so that you can see them.  I have put brief captions on the "Information" section to the upper right of the photos. To see the information click the first photo and you should go to the individual photo and information section. It is diffiuclt to obtain permission to visit this island these days but I was lucky ennough to get a place on a special trip organised by a local camera club. The island's owner (William Simpson) is also the skipper of our little boat.

Isle of Stroma - abandoned for over half a century.

Any idea why it was abandoned Compo ? Seems just up sticks and bugger off. Liked the image of Captain Haddock, standing guard with his steering wheel, (he of Tin Tin fame !). Must be a bit eerie wandering around those rooms with all that furniture in. B.

Why did they (apparently) leave?   Perhaps 'The Fog' rolled in.......  oooooh

• 2 weeks later...

Beekay: The islanders were scraping a subsistence living off the near infertile island. As time moved on they, like other people, wanted a little more from life. Many moved just across the water to live near mainland relatives, some of whom still live in the district to this day.

Last Thursday saw us off on yet another coastal section of the John O'Groats trail. At the end of our walk we went to the little café in Berriedale, where we met a young girl from New Zealand who was walking from Land's End to John O'Groats using the road as little as possible. It turned out that she had been about half an hour in front of us on our walk and she was having a wash and brush-up in the café as we arrived. She was wild-camping and we were able to give her some tips on the best places to pitch the tent between Berriedale and John O'Groats.  She will be on her way home by now I should think. Anyrode up, I will post some pictures a couple at a time in order to try and fool whatever is deleting my photos soon after posting :)

The first thing we came to was Ousdale Broch. An Iron Age fortified roundhouse with walls three feet thick and chambers within the walls. Originally standing up to about 25ft high these brochs appear to have been a symbol of power. They are confined to the north of Scotland and are not found elsewhere.

Ousdale broch:

1080_1bf52bf1-5ada-4da6-9c9d-0cb17a787ab

Ousdale gorge - the first obstacle to be negotiated:

1080_f73fc987-753b-407e-820c-cc70552106f

Ousdale burn at the bottom of the gorge:

1080_3ada15a8-0c56-4592-a4f3-eeb1fbb64c8

• Like 10

A little further along the coast is the abandoned village of Badbea. People were removed from their homes in the straths by landlords and forcibly resettled in places like this in order to make way for sheep in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The period is known in Scotland as "The Highland Clearances". People at Badbea were forced to build a stone wall near the cliffs and live on the seaward side of the wall. It is said that they had to tether their children to prevent them from falling over the cliffs in winter. In 1851 there were still 60 peoplel living here but by 1903 the village had been completely abandoned and many had fled to the New World to make a better life for themselves. One family member returned at a later date and built the monument (seen in these photos) to the sufferring of the families.  

Approaching Badbea - the most southerly of the houses in the village:

1080_14cd00f9-212b-499b-b406-141d4363055

How about this for a lonely house? You can't see the remainder of the village from here but you can get the idea of what it must have been like to live here:

1080_34ac6d38-1d01-423b-aaae-a18c405666b

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Badbea village ruins:

1080_15bd9ef7-09cf-43d0-8773-902aa64168c

Inside the same house:

1080_71abc826-4753-4243-bd36-34f8675c82a

The monument to the families:

1080_6f3d310b-ba0d-49d4-949f-4beadf94194

• Like 8

These photos show the area around Badbea village and the conditions in which the families lived. Bear in mind that this is high summer and winter is a little bleaker!

Cliffs at Badbea:

1080_1ca7983b-8ee9-4a24-a3d7-f0c5b64223a

The wall built by the families. They lived on the seaward side to the left of the picture:

1080_1b1d710d-523d-44ca-a9fe-b4120ad8826

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

The next item of interest on the walk is Berriedale. Berriedale Braes are a pair of notorious hills either side of the village of Berriedale. At the bottom is a tiny harbour and to the north is a hairpin bend that frequently closes the road as articulated lorries get stuck on it. It is the only non-single track road into and out of Caithness so everything goes up it. Closure usually lasts for a couple of hours whilst the recovery vehicles remove the lorries. Work has begun on taking the road around the cemetery in order to remove the hairpin bend. 

The Berriedale roadworks:

1080_13ac8454-3e7f-4b8d-9f6b-886db3feef0

Langwell house - the estate hub:

1080_5b845f28-fd56-405b-9b57-22f72273564

The two harbour navigation towers. Formerly used to guide boats into the narrow harbour:

1080_68cefa44-a8db-4684-9c87-92972115ab1

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Beekay: The John O'groats trail volunteers have built a small footbridge over the burn, which is where I stood to take the picture. If I can persuade SWMBO to part with one of her photos I will post a picture of the footbridge alater.

Interesting stuff. Thanks!

• Like 1