Out and about with Compo

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out and about in central Sutherland at Forsinard, Garvault and Syre:       Ben Klibreck     Hills around Garvault     Red Deer

Last Thursday saw us off on yet another coastal section of the John O'Groats trail. At the end of our walk we went to the little café in Berriedale, where we met a young girl from New Zealand who was

I wonder if you can see this one, Brew?   Warkworth Castle on a fine November afternoon (2-11-2019)        

Went out for a walk near Dunbeath in Caithness yesterday morning. It was very cold, the roads were covered in "Black Ice" (Can we say that these days?) and it snowed at first light, turning to sleet then rain later. When the clouds cleared it left a sharp, sunny day but still very cold.

1. Tories exploding nuclear weapons in the North Sea in order to show their imagined "British Empire" who's boss.

IMG-5443-Cloud-over-North-Sea1.jpg

2. Scaraben

IMG-5449-Scaraben1.jpg

3. L to R: Maiden's Pap; Morven; Small Mount.

IMG-5450-Morven1.jpg

4. Loch Rangag on teh Causeway Mire

IMG-5456-Loch-Rangag-on-the-Causeway-Mir

5. Stone wall on the Causeway Mire.

IMG-5458-Stone-wall-on-the-Mire.jpg

• Like 6

Compo - have you taken any pics of Loch Watten from a boat? If not, I am planning a trip up there in late April and will take you out on the Loch. I fished there 40 years ago and caught nowt, so I have a score to settle with that Loch!. 

• Like 1

Thanks PP.  These were all taken withiin 25 mins drive of home.

I have fished Loch Watten just once  -  I also caught nowt. It used to be famous for its quantiity of Brown Trout but these days it seems there's not so many about. This year there was a blue algal bloom on the loch which closed it down for a while. There has also been a  lot of weed offshore, which may have made fishing less productive for fly fishermen.  Anyrode miduck - I look forward to your visit. I have no fly gear though.

Some hillwalkers take a collapsible rod into the hills with them and fish as they go along, Phil.  Brown Trout are the main fish to be found in the acid lochs of the north.  Sea Trout and Salmon in the rivers. Permits available from Hugo Ross, Wick High Street. All the gen is here:; http://www.hugoross.co.uk/index.asp

• Like 1

Thanks for the Hugo Ross link Compo. I must call in his shop. I am planning 3 trips up there for next year. April, May and Sept., then NW Ireland in June. 'Loch style' fishing is my first love - - in fact my new company is called Waft Ltd - Loch Style Fly . I am introducing the company and technique of 'Wafting' at the International Fly fair in Feb where I will meet up with a lot of Highlanders. 

It would be great to be on a boat with you, especially if you take video movies.  

Phil - I usually get between 10 and 50 when up in the Highlands region when conditions are half decent. You need a good guide, then you will catch. A mate who lives close to Loch Awe catches plenty - he is a pro though and I hope to get a day there with him next season.

Make sure you know his opening times, PP. He has been talking about retirement for a couple of years now and seems to be opening for shortter hours these days.  Don't know about my ability to take videos though :/

I used to be a mamber of the RBL locally. They have a boat on the loch. If I rejoin I could possibly get the RBL boat for free. That's if they still have one, of course.

• Like 1

I don't just drive a bloody shuttle ya know! I do have a car, contrary to popular belief.

Any road, ya can knock 5 miles off that as I  live North of Lewes. Besides I've  gorra 700 mile charging lead, so there!

Beekay, carry a generator in the boot for when you get low on the batteries....LOL