Out and about with Compo

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out and about in central Sutherland at Forsinard, Garvault and Syre:       Ben Klibreck     Hills around Garvault     Red Deer

Last Thursday saw us off on yet another coastal section of the John O'Groats trail. At the end of our walk we went to the little café in Berriedale, where we met a young girl from New Zealand who was

I wonder if you can see this one, Brew?   Warkworth Castle on a fine November afternoon (2-11-2019)        

Far from it, I can assure you. It's  called keeping one step ahead of the law.

Screenshot-20191112-122414-Google.jpg

When we do a witchhunt Phil., we do it in style.

• Like 1

Today the sun shone so I went out to Whaligoe on the East Coast of Caithness to take a few pictures. Here's a starter for ten - more to follow tomorrow:

IMG-5472-Whaligoe-cliffs.jpg

Hills and woods are the places that elicit emotion from me.... sometimes wonder why I'm living in the fens!  But there again, family takes precedence over landscape...

• Like 2

Here are a few more of my efforts from yesterday. I timed it wrongly and the sun was casting a deep shadow over the Whaligoe Cove but I managed to get a few shots in. If you look closely, you can see two tourists on the steps and a workman in high-vis trousers soing some repairs. 

A house with a view - the former Whaligoe mill.

IMG-5463-Sea-view.jpg

Whaligoe Cove waterfall (250 ft from top to bottom)

IMG-5473-Waterfall2.jpg

The bottom of the falls.

IMG-5479-waterfall3.jpg

For scale and prespective, here is a shot of the steps with three people on them. Can you see them? [Clue: Two by the wall at the top and workman doing repairs part-way down]

IMG-5484-Tourists.jpg

The bottom of the steps.

IMG-5486-bottom-of-steps.jpg

And finally, the tourists chatting to the workman .

IMG-5489-On-steps.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

Hills and woods are the places that elicit emotion from me.... sometimes wonder why I'm living in the fens!  But there again, family takes precedence over landscape...

I'm just grateful that I have good enough health to enjoy any landscape. These last couple of weeks I done several Attenborough rides, Stoodley Pike walk and Gibsons Mill ( both North Yorkshire). And just as much pleasure walking over Sharp Hill to Wheatcrofts.

I think my family has become my landscape, and vice versa.

PS: in the fens, do you get the corncrakes in the evening? - an abiding memory of Suffolk/Norfolk, as I recall.

3 minutes ago, oldphil said:

do you get the corncrakes in the evening? - an abiding memory of Suffolk/Norfolk, as I recall.

I used to know an elderly lady, born in 1899, who told me that when she was a child she was kept awake by the noise of corncrakes, here in a small Derbyshire village! You wouldn't find one now.

Cornckrakes are just about kaput here in Scotland. In 2014 there were 1,289 males recorded but by 2017 the numbr was down to only 866 [Source: RSPB]. I have only heard one male calling recently and that was last year.

Whilst out and about in the Falkland Islands in the 1980s I lived on the edge of the capital, Port Stanley. Here are a few images of Stanley taken in 1987:

1. Ross Road - The main street. To the left of the photo you can see the brokene mast taken from the British Cruiser HMS Exter after its departure from the Battle of the River Plate, when it limped back to Stanley for repairs:

Ross-Road.jpg

2. Stanley cathedral and the whale jawbone arch:

Cathedral.jpg

3. The Globe Hotel. The most southerly British pub in the world:

Globe-87.jpg

4. And finally for today, a view of Port Stanley taken from the top of Wireless Ridge; scene of one of the final battles of the Falklands war in 1982. My house was just to the left of the cross behind the white crab processing shed.:

Wireless-Ridge.jpg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Went out and about at Geise, Caithness at dusk yesterday. It was cold and uninviting but managed a few photos:

Old barn:

IMG-5508-Barn-at-Geise.jpg

Branching out at Geise:

IMG-5518-twigs-and-water.jpg

Waterfall:

IMG-5513-waterfall2.jpg

Cold and slippery:

IMG-5516-Water.jpg

• Like 3

Been out and about again. This time East Sutherland and Easter Ross.

White christmas for some by the look of it! Ben Wyvis.

IMG-5552-Ben-Wyvis.jpg

Snow on the roads.

IMG-5554-Snow-on-road.jpg

Low cloud near Brora, East Sutherland.

IMG-5561-Ben-horn.jpg

Morning mist (Scotch mist) at Struie.

IMG-5549-Struie1.jpg

• Like 5

PP I've just looked on your website and read all about wafting.  I don't really understand it as I've never ever been fishing but I feel I've learned a little bit.......

• Like 1

From PP website:-

A 15’ ‘Wafter’ will cover more water and let you start to dibble or dance a dropper for longer and much further...

It must terrible if you can't dibble at a dance when your wafter is too short.:blink:

• Like 2