Compo

Out and about with Compo

Thought it was BK, they creep up on you and before you know it you're feeding them,crafty

Rog

A few of us will be up your way in a few days time Compo. We turn left for Bonar Bridge though, heading for Assynt. Can't wait. Staying in a Bothy near Loch Borralan if you are out and about.

• Like 1

Not quite up to Compo, but here goes....Overlooking Cuckmere Valley towards the sea.

Alfriston-11-5-08-028.jpg

Alfriston-11-5-08-033.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

When we used to drive from Lancing to our friends in East Dean, we passed this meandering river.

On 5/24/2019 at 8:29 AM, plantfit said:

Saw a large building site there the other week when I drove passed Mary,thats progress and people do need somewhere to live, before any groundworks start though archaelogical surveys have to be carried out and documented although we have physically lost these areas the history is preserved in documents and photo's thankfully, I wonder if the old Scampton airfield will be built on,all the history that place holds

Rog

it would be nice if Scampton was kept just as it was, but if the build on school playing fields just because Tesco move in then there is no chance. I refer to Annie Holgate sports  field and Wigwam sports field in Hucknall. Its no wonder we never do well at the OLYMPIC GAMES.

• Like 1

Whilst deploring the building on sportsfields, I cannot agree with you Mary about Britain not doing well at the Olympic Games. In 2008 we finished fourth in the medals table behind, USA, China and Russia, 2012 we were third behind China and USA, whilst in 2016 we were second behind USA. Given our relative size we have certainly been punching above our weight in recent times.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Whilst deploring the building on sportsfields, I cannot agree with you Mary about Britain not doing well at the Olympic Games. In 2008 we finished fourth in the medals table behind, USA, China and Russia, 2012 we were third behind China and USA, whilst in 2016 we were second behind USA. Given our relative size we have certainly been punching above our weight in recent times.

Especially the cyclists ;)

• Like 2

Former "Tail-end-Charlie Reg Smith standing next to his former WWII home, a Lancaster tail gun.  Sadly, Reg died a couple of years ago. I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like to climb into that turret, knowing that you would be the prime target for any night fighter that chanced upon you.

1080_e8da244d-90de-4d18-ba25-837f8b8af9d

• Like 4

I went out and about on Friday. Did a mammoth 6½hr clifftop walk from Lybster through to Whaligoe. My navigation let me down on this occasion and at one point I ended up on a cliff edge and I really, really should not have been there!  I'll post one photo and a link to the album. ther eare captions on each photo in the album.

Here's the album link and below is the final stretch of the walk:  Lybster to Whaligoe clifftop walk. The photo 'OOPS!' is where I should not have been :)

One step for every day of the year: Whaligoe steps - where fishermen used to unload their herring catch in the inlet at the  foot of the cliff and the wives used to carry the catch up the steps to the railway station beyond.

61161596_10214379294178680_2188316237090 

• Like 6

Excellent Compo many thanks for sharing this.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 4:41 PM, katyjay said:

When we used to drive from Lancing to our friends in East Dean, we passed this meandering river.

That section of the river down to the sea is known as "The Meanders".

Went out and about again on Monday afternoon. Took a stroll up Achingale Burn, just about a mile and a half from our house. Here's a photo of the Achingale mill. A small album can be seen at this link: A stroll along Achingale Burn, Watten, Caithness.

1080_4643a303-9b7d-4e66-a8fa-17ae13dfad6

• Like 2

Overshot water wheel,any idea what the smaller overshot water wheel was for Compo?

Rog

No idea, Rog. The mill has been boarded up since before I moved here 25yrs ago......Perhaps a small electricity generator?  I occasionally see the retired local historian in Wick. I will make a point of asking what he knows about it when I next see him.

Lookout post:

1080_7f9ee4c6-5f9f-4c99-bae8-20a7efe9489

Clan Gunn heritage centre; formerly a church.

1080_0d45449f-a828-466f-b370-b9d312a6423

Ruins of the Viking castle at Forse

1080_709e55c4-1ec8-4bd9-b2c3-37df789939c

Lybster Harour entrance

1080_de0a9746-ce7f-4ab5-8c24-c3fb6e986fb

Latheronwheel harbour

1080_e720d3e8-9f80-417a-b0f3-861bfb3b7bd

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Excellent as ever Compo.

Clyth lighthouse. Almost bought this many years ago.

1080_5dedbb0d-975c-4747-9893-638ad04822e

Sea cave

1080_3e1df3eb-219f-4125-8d76-7a781bc8858

Mid-Clyth harbour - former herring fishery landing stage

1080_faa39828-f4b4-451e-b799-db375cd4b5d

Sea stack

1080_f5856b95-07f1-4aa8-b347-99d9166f1e2

Clear water - not a bit like Skeggy!

1080_83c4411e-a3b6-4d4b-bb1f-af0f42016ad

Stonecrop and lichens growing on the clifftops

1080_e8a48a49-43cd-4a97-8ea5-14d060c26dd

And finally for this batch.....Looking down into a collapsed sea cave.

1080_72df423c-e3fe-4a21-ae4b-ca5114e6cf1

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Good on you for getting out and about and giving us these fantastic images Compo.  

• Like 1

Brilliant pictures Compo. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

Superb photographs Compo, just like looking in a travel book. Thank you for sharing. Beekay. :bravo:

• Like 1

Thanks for the lovely comments, gang. Should anyone wish to experience any of the places shown in any of my photos - you know where I am.

• Like 1

I presume the ?house higher up from the lighthouse was also for sale?   Was it just the actual lighthouse or the other building as well that you nearly bought?  

We were going to bid for both but there was a fault in the concrete retaining wall at the back of the house that would have cost more than we could afford to repair, Margie.

• Upvote 1

Went for a walk from Dunbeath to Latheronwheel on Sunday morning. I took some photos that I'm going to post later. For now how about the giant beast walking through the water.  there is a legend of "The Morven Giant" in Caithness. Named after the mountain it is supposed to inhabit.....could this be the legend?

1080_8f4245ae-5f3d-4766-8b08-70724bba2b4

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2