Apparently they switched to making plant pots out of plastic in 1976. My wife tells me we’ve got loads of their clay pots around the garden. There’s lots in trays under hedges. She’s rounding them up to check them and clean them since she discovered that they are worth a minimum of £4 each. Something to sell for fund raising at the forthcoming village ‘open gardens’. 

I remember seeing the fire at the Sankeys factory. Can anyone remember when that was?

Hi Phil, we used to live right near there until 1987. I remember the police telling us all to stay indoors and close all windows. Thought it was about 84/85 ish. Bloody thick black smoke everywhere. Got some decent photos on slides somewhere indoors so will try and hunt them out. One thing I do remember though is flamin' kids scrambling about all over the place, getting in the way and making a general nuisance of themselves. B.

• Like 1

Further research tells me it was on 12th July 1980. I viewed it from the Basford end of Haydn Rd.and it looked pretty spectacular. They obviously didn’t have a sprinkler system which was most unwise in a plastics factory.

look in the Bulwell posts and Fires posts,there's write ups,date,photo's etc

Rog

Sorry about the date Phil., old age ya know ! I stood right underneath it with my little camera, police or firemen never said a word!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Apparently they switched to making plant pots out of plastic in 1976. My wife tells me we’ve got loads of their clay pots around the garden. There’s lots in trays under hedges. She’s rounding them up to check them and clean them since she discovered that they are worth a minimum of £4 each. Something to sell for fund raising at the forthcoming village ‘open gardens’. 

I remember seeing the fire at the Sankeys factory. Can anyone remember when that was?

Living close by I remember that occasion well.

• Like 2

Some good money to be had there Phil,clay pots much better than plastic

Rog

There are some with the ‘Sankey Bulwell’ logo and others without. I presume all Sankey’s pots had the name thereon. I never thought I would find an interest in plant pots. I broke up a load for hardcore some years ago - a few quids worth destroyed there!

Don't worry about finding an interest in plant pots,it could be worse, i like old named bricks

Bulwell.jpg

Rog

• Like 2

If you are interested which I don't think you will be,theres a website called "Pen morfa" all about bricks,old,new,fancy plain,all sorts

told you you wouldn't be interested

Rog

• Like 1
1 minute ago, plantfit said:

If you are interested which I don't think you will be,theres a website called "Pen morfa" all about bricks,old,new,fancy plain,all sorts

told you you wouldn't be interested

Rog

Who's this aimed at ??

I mentioned on here some time ago that I visited Sankey's quite regularly when they were injection moulding plant pots and other garden stuff. The manager donated so many plant pots to by boss's charity (Home Farm Trust) that I could hardly get in my car - plant pots up to the roof of my Cortina.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My then neighbour Karen worked there when it went up.  Her & her mate's who also worked there were in tear's, I comforted her pretty mate's, (& some of them were phwoar) see what a good gentleman I was...