Hello Everyone, I am new to this group, so I hope that you all under stand what I am looking for. 

I am in possession of a cycling medal won by a member of 'Robin Hood C.C.'  in 1929 for winning a 100 mile race.

It has a name on it, which I will hold back for now. But I am looking to reunite it with the family or interested party

So if anyone can throw any light on the 'Robin Hood C.C.' and could put me in with anybody connected to it, I will be grateful.

I'll ask a few questions and do a bit of searching for you McGee, welcome to the forum by the way

Rog

• 1 month later...

Someone has posted as a 'Guest', which means their message won't appear on the site unless I copy it to here. Judging by the content of the message, I suspect it's McGee who started the thread.

Hi. As I have not heard anymore from you or a no anybody else, I am now wondering about making an appeal in one of your local newspapers. Could you or someone else advise me of which one  to contact. Thank you in advance. Alan

May be better contacting a Derby newspaper .

The only Robin Hood Cycling Club I can see was named after the Robin Hood pub in Iron-Gate Derby......but that was late 1800s !

I've not heard of the Robin Hood CC but there was a Robin Hood road race held annually up to the 60's and probably later. I only remember because I won it one year (C1960). I think it was organised by by the Sherwood CC or Nottingham Castle BC. By the 50's cycling was way past the golden era and a lot of clubs fell by the wayside. Three clubs that I belonged to just dried up - Nottingham Castle BC, Nottingham Sphere CC and Hucknall Road Club. Thank goodness a new golden era has developed over the past decade or so :cool: 

1 hour ago, PeverilPeril said:

Thank goodness a new golden era has developed over the past decade or so :cool: 

Indeed.  I'm rather ambivalent to it .  It seems that there is now nowhere safe from cyclists.  Canal towpaths, pubic footpaths, woods, parks, pavements, pedestrianised shopping areas...  Some even ride their bicycles on the roads..

• Upvote 1

Tea Shops, Garden Centres, Nature Reserves, village greens, roadside cafes. I saw a couple today in normal clothing.

How very dare they ?

Gave you a like DJ, not sure about the ambivalent though. Mentioned before about a couple of close shaves with pavement cyclists and had another one since! Thankfully relearnt my highway code to incorporate this.

Pavement..no lights or bell..I am sure many people must have been injured by these Ba**ards!

My great uncle was a leading airmen in the RAF based at RAF Grantham from 1921 to at least 1932 (not as grandiose as it sounds, his duties where anything from general maintenance to making cups of tea).

In 1924 he was fined for having no front light on his bicycle and I bet he wasn't on the pavement!

Back on topic did a quick search, I'm sure others picked up on, references to the Robin Hood Bicycle Company Nottingham.

Maybe connected but a very generic name. Their adverts in The forties quote bikes in 'austerity colours' ?

There used to be an old fellow that used to come into The Gregory could have been The Crown, he once told me he'd got shoe boxes full of wraps x 24 of cycle head badges which he'd pinched when he worked at Raleigh, he brought me some in which I sold on eBay, the Heron head badges sold for good money, I dropped him a few quid & had the lot off him, they where all different makes of bike, he's the Robin Hood one mentioned above.  

2983107401_3d9e2776f5_b.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:02 AM, McGee said:

So if anyone can throw any light on the 'Robin Hood C.C.' and could put me in with anybody connected to it

There are a number of cycling clubs in North Notts that may be able to help.  North Notts Olympic and Mansfield Aces were active at that time and someone from Mansfield Road Club or the Sherwood Cycling Club nearer the city might be able to help.

On 7/13/2019 at 11:39 PM, DJ360 said:

Indeed.  I'm rather ambivalent to it .  It seems that there is now nowhere safe from cyclists.  Canal towpaths, pubic footpaths, woods, parks, pavements, pedestrianised shopping areas...  Some even ride their bicycles on the roads..

We will just have to learn to get on with it as they do in Holland etc. Most of the cyclist you refer to would not get away with selfishness and bad behaviour over there. Likewise motorists and pedestrians would not get away with it either. I have had a 5 y/o tell me off for walking in a cycle lane in Holland! We should all 'free up' and be less selfish with out public roads and places. We may all rant on about cyclists/motorists/pedestrians and it will get us nowhere. We will learn eventually :biggrin:

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

I have had a 5 y/o tell me off for walking in a cycle lane in Holland

Last year I was walking in Amsterdam with some Dutch friends who damn near had heart attacks when I started to cross an empty road before the pedestrian lights went green.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Same here. I was hauled back in Stockholm, many years ago, for crossing the road on the red man even though there was no traffic. Very disciplined people some of the continentals. May have been the Germanic influence. “You vill obey!”

On 7/15/2019 at 9:57 AM, PeverilPeril said:

We will just have to learn to get on with it as they do in Holland etc. Most of the cyclist you refer to would not get away with selfishness and bad behaviour over there. Likewise motorists and pedestrians would not get away with it either. I have had a 5 y/o tell me off for walking in a cycle lane in Holland! We should all 'free up' and be less selfish with out public roads and places. We may all rant on about cyclists/motorists/pedestrians and it will get us nowhere. We will learn eventually :biggrin:

You're right overall PP.. but we do have a way to go..

I rode everywhere on my bike as a kid and am not against cyclists 'per se'.. but..

It seems to me we now have three main types of cyclist in the UK.

1. The traditional cycist.  May ride a 'racer', or a 'tourer', but has done so all his/her life.  Fully capable of cycling safely on roads.. dismounts on pavements and in shopping centres/pedestrianised areas. Shows respect to all other road users.

2. The 'new wave' of 'sports' cyclists.  'All the gear and no idea'.  Tend to ride aggressively, ...are on a 'mission' to claim their space on the roads and are not averse to doing so two abreast on a two lane country road, holding up everyone else.  Also not averse to running a red light when it suits.

3. 'Mountain Bikers'.  This lot have never seen a bloody mountain.. much less ridden up one.   They are too scared or incompetent to ride on roads.. thus they spend their time riding on narrow public footpaths which are only there because walkers have fought for them since long before mountain biking was invented.  They also infest woodland, canal towpaths and abandoned railway lines.  They are generqally very polite.. with their 'Ding Ding' 'excuse me', routine..  but it never occurrs to them that maybe they should stop/dismount occasionally.. rather than expecting pedestrians to always move aside, break step or whatever... to let them pass unhindered.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Get yourself an electric scooter Phil., then all you gotta do is charge it up and then just step on it and away you go. The worlds your lobster, as they say. I've read some of them can reach speeds of 40mph.

Eureka !!! Got the perfect answer. Get a scooter, don't charge it up and push it around. ( note tongue firmly in cheek).