I have never heard of a raccoon dog, but apparently there are 2 that have escaped in the village of Clarborough (never heard of that either). I looked up pictures of them and they do look like a cross between a raccoon and a dog surprisingly, but in the pictures of the two escapees they look more like untidy sheep with big ears who need shearing. They have tried to attack a goat but his pony friend defended him until the owners arrived to try and shoo them off (with planks of wood) which apparently made them hiss a lot (the raccoon dogs not the owners of the goat/pony). Someone was walking nearby with a puppy so the raccoon dogs then went after that only for the male owner of the goat to come to the rescue allowing dog owner and dog to escape unharmed. The news report says they are potentially dangerous, the owners say no more dangerous than a fox. (it has even made CNN news!)

Whilst some of this sounds like a cartoon it raises some issues, not least how did they manage to dig out of their pen and didn’t the owners know they do this and take the necessary precautions to prevent it. I have seen a programme on a wildlife park which has a pack of wolves and they keep a check on their digging, filling in tunnels when they need to. If they are a pair, and it doesn’t specify in the articles I have seen, and they cant be caught will they end up being shot or could we end up with a breeding population here (as in the wallabies) of another foreign species. (There are breeding populations of raccoon dogs in some European countries from escaped animals apparently.) What qualifications did the owners have to keep exotic animals ( wonder this about the guy that has the puma in Strelley, liking animals isn’t a qualification). If a person/pet is injured by them who is liable, I presume it will be the owners? 

Lastly why why would you want to keep them, (I presume it is a private owner the articles don’t specify), they are hardly “pets” and they smell according to the RSPCA who advise people not to keep them. 

• Upvote 1

I saw the report yesterday and I'd never heard of them either. Looks like they might be a new version of status dogs for that certain type of person.

If you saw the photo without knowing anything, they look like a comedy-cartoon version of a sheep.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/police-warn-public-after-two-2916772

Some of them are quite attractive, not my cup of tea though. I think there has been another stand off with the goat, it’s owners and one of the dogs which has lasted 2 hours unless it is the other days stand off being re-reported.

With dogs these days that seem to mate with Poodles, to come up with a new breed ending in "oodle_ Would one of Racoon dog crossed with a Poodle be a Racoodle?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Apparently they were finally recaptured yesterday with no casualties. Presume owners got them back and will make their home more escape proof.

Just another example of people who want to keep weird ‘pets’, though how anyone could love such an animal as one can love a dog, cat, rabbit, guinea pig I can’t understand.  My cousin’s husband has a Tarantula in a glass box and has to feed it with great long tweezers in case it bites him.  A chap we knew had a 15ft long snake in a glass box fixed to the wall in his living room. When he (the owner) passed away his wife couldn’t wait to get rid of the snake!   How can you get up close and cosy with such creatures.   A chap in the next village to us when we lived in Buckinghamshire had several birds of prey and a Leopard for heaven’s sake!!

We’ll stick to dogs thanks! 

• Upvote 2

There is someone near where I live that has a puma and monkeys. He also bought a penguin off the internet (amazing what you can buy on eBay!) as his partner liked them,  but found out it had been stolen from a zoo in Scotland so it had to be returned. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds a bit cruel to me to have 'pets' like a monkey, puma and (especially) a penguin.   Doubt any of them would live happy and fulfilled lives in a domestic setting.

• Upvote 2

On a slight tangent, my mum used to tell me about a lady who used to go to the shops on Bracebridge Drive in Bilborough with a small monkey. It used to be dressed in matching clothes to hers. I have asked about this at my clubs but no one can remember her, can anyone shed any light on this? Mum said I had seen her but I can’t remember it.