Help needed on grave at Nottingham Church Cemetery

My wife's cousin who lives in London has asked me to pinpoint his fathers grave No 11350 at Church Cemetery (Rock Cemetery). He died in Germany whilst serving as a Captain in the British Army of Occupation and was buried in the Maxfield family grave on the 19th September. His son never knew his father as he was born after his father's death. I have a photograph from the Nottingham Evening Post of the 20th September 1950 which shows a REME Unit firing a salute at the graveside. From various site visits, the area is in poor condition and covered in a mass of vegetation.   Though it is a faint hope I wonder if anyone has any photographs of the area around grave number 11350 from the 1950s or earlier, so we can identify the grave and at last allow a wreath to be laid

There have been quite a few post about the cemetery David and I think there was a link posted about where to find graves from grave numbers,I wish you well in your search and welcome to this site

Rog

49 minutes ago, davidh2308 said:

buried in the Maxfield family grave 

I noticed the name Maxfield. Not a common one.

My uncle married a Marie Jean Maxfield who was born in August 1928. I recall her father very well. Think his name may have been David but I always referred to him as Mr Maxfield. He lived in College Road, Chilwell. Very nice chap.

Rog

We know the grave number but the state of the ground makes it impossible to identify any specific grave......I did think of a JCB......but I don't think the white collars would like that

Jill

Not connected unfortunately

davidh

• 2 weeks later...

Ann , looks like it was Raymond A Maxfield born Dec Qtr 1923 , died 1950 in Witten  , Germany

• Like 1

There are records of his burial on the Deceased Online website, although there's a charge for viewing them.  Cost for the 3 items appears to be £6

burial register summary
last name 
Maxfield 
first names 
Raymond Aubrey 
burial date 
19 September 1950 
further information available
The following information is available for purchase. Once paid, you may revisit this information using our service for up to 6 months. During this time you may also make your own personal copies of the information.

This record is sold under an agency agreement with the supplying authority. When you view information relating to this record you are forming a contract directly with the authority rather than Deceased Online Limited. 
Please note: Where burial or cremation registers contain information about possibly living people, the personal details in the scans of these registers may be masked to comply with our obligations under the UK's Data Protection Act and individual preferences of the contributors. Please see the entries in the Participating Cemeteries and Crematoria section (available via the Coverage link in the top menu bar) for specific details.

Description
price

• Like 1

One option could be to contact the council. I did that some years ago when I was looking for an ancestor’s grave in the General Cemetery and they sent me a map of the cemetery showing where the grave was.

Link with email address and phone number - https://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/information-for-residents/births-deaths-marriages/deaths-and-stillbirths/cemeteries-crematorium-burial-grounds/

• Like 1

On Saturday at the Family History Fair at the NEC I had a long and interesting talk to members of Nottingham Family History Society. They have recorded the monument inscriptions for the Rock Cemetery and will do a search for you for a small fee. They also said that there is a plan of all the graves at Nottingham Archives. The Nottingham Archives staff are very helpful. Nice place.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all your assistance but we have carried out all the suggestions that have been made. We know the grave number, have the plan so that we know approximately where the grave is, but that area is like a jungle with many years of rotting vegetation and fallen stonework. I had hoped that someone may have had a photograph of a grave nearby,  before the descent into a jungle. We still live in hope that Captain Maxfield's son may, at last, be able to lay a wreath on the grave of the father he never met

On 10 June 2019 at 1:47 PM, Rob.L said:

One option could be to contact the council. I did that some years ago when I was looking for an ancestor’s grave in the General Cemetery and they sent me a map of the cemetery showing where the grave was.

Link with email address and phone number - https://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/information-for-residents/births-deaths-marriages/deaths-and-stillbirths/cemeteries-crematorium-burial-grounds/

I want to trace the grave of my Great Aunt who is buried at the General Cemetary (Canning Circus). I have the grave number but when I enquired at the Council (Wilford Hill) they claim there is no map available but for the bargain price of about £90 will send someone out to find it but no guarentee of success and the fee is required whether they find it or not.

Try Nottingham City Council just a thought

P.S.   just been on their  web site and maps and grave numbers (where person is) is available  soon.

11 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

I want to trace the grave of my Great Aunt who is buried at the General Cemetary (Canning Circus). I have the grave number but when I enquired at the Council (Wilford Hill) they claim there is no map available but for the bargain price of about £90 will send someone out to find it but no guarentee of success and the fee is required whether they find it or not.

A few years ago I was after similar information (location of grave numbers in General Cemetery) and I got it from the Local Studies section of the Central Library on Angel Row. They have various old maps and plans showing the locations of the numbers; obviously you can't take them with you, but I took a few photos of the relevant part of the maps.

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

A few years ago I was after similar information (location of grave numbers in General Cemetery) and I got it from the Local Studies section of the Central Library on Angel Row. They have various old maps and plans showing the locations of the numbers; obviously you can't take them with you, but I took a few photos of the relevant part of the maps.

I tried the local studies CT and they deny having such a map. Wilford Hill admit to having a map but said words to the effect, it is too difficult for a mere mortal like you to understand, no you can't see it but pay us £90 and we can find it for you. To be honest I gave up in despair and finding a tent village of druggies had taken up residence in the Cemetary didn't help my mood. In fact this post has inspired me to get off my backside and I'll have another crack at the local studies.  If it stops raining that is.