Sign in to follow this  
philmayfield

Update on the grey Fergie tractor

This one's for Rog. No-one else will be remotely interested! Having checked it out, recharged the battery, cleaned the fuel lines and rebuilt the carb I've got it running like a sewing machine. I've just discovered one major problem. With my arthritic hip I'm unable to climb on board! The tractor is parked quite close to a wooden shed and needs a bit of manoeuvring to turn it round. That wouldn't be a problem for me but the clutch is quite fierce and one false move could cause the shed to be demolished. Can I trust my wife, who like me drives an automatic, to remember how to use a clutch; one which has an instant bite? I think I'm going to have to make a mounting block like the horse riders use! This is going to be quite exciting.:biggrin: Watch this space!

• Like 3

Invite Rog round Phil, he’ll sort it. thumbsup

• Like 1

You'll have to ask Mrs P about that Phil  slywink

Rog

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, philmayfield said:

.... the clutch is quite fierce and one false move could cause the shed to be demolished........This is going to be quite exciting.:biggrin: Watch this space!

I think a video of the event is called for.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Willow wilson said:

Ooh excellent idea... viiiiideo  viiiideo viiiideo

"and now ladies, gentlemen we present a short clip from Mayfield Mansion we call ' Old man with a tractor and how to de-construct a shed'"

1 hour ago, Willow wilson said:

You don’t think I going to stand there and film the debacle do you? :biggrin:

• Like 1

Giz a shout if you want a hand with it Phil

Rog

Thanks Rog. It’s all fine and working at the moment. Can’t have you doing a 36 mile round trip just to give me a leg up each time I need to drive it! :biggrin:

• Like 1

The offers there mate

Rog

Just a thought Phil, but could not the front end be pulled round, to be facing away from the shed? Not knowing where the tractor is, in regard to the proximity of the shed. Wouldn't expect you to push it. Just saying, is all.

I've just been looking at it BK and I can easily come out in reverse as I went in forwards. In fact the Fergie has got a fantastic lock and it will turn virtually in its own length. I don't think there will be a problem. I've just found a large block of wood and if I stand on that I can just get my leg over. No ribald remarks please! :biggrin: 

If you need a hand...……….or a leg I can get over your way and assist...………...

What engine is in your tractor Phil?is it a Standard Vanguard and also who makes the gearbox.

When my father built his car garage at Watnall in the 1955 he bought an old Chaseside tractor/ bulldozer there was no hydraulics on it  just cables and pulleys.This tractor had 2 fuel tanks one small held about 2 gallon of petrol just for starting it and to warm up the engine then there was a large tank which had TVO tractor vaporising oil for normal operation i think my dad said TVO was way cheaper than petrol.