Plant Nursery on Haywood Road Mapperley

Hi I'm a newbie. I live in Porchester Gardens and am researching the history of the plant nursery run by the Doubleday family on Haywood Road. After a community campaign this parcel of land will soon become our local park!  Mr Doubleday was very wealthy at the time of his death but had no heirs so left properties across Nottingham and possessions to friends and donated the Haywood Road land to local church and charities. I believe in the 40s and 50s there were still a couple of plant nurseries in this area (I vaguely remember seeing an advert in a pamphlet for Mapperley Top a year or so ago)? If anyone has more info, memories, photos maps or adverts it would be wonderful to hear. Thankyou

• Like 1

Welcome Rachael. I'm certain someone will be along with some answers soon, as this is a very popular area of discussion here.

• Like 1

Can't find anything specific about a nursery on Haywood Road other than that it is mentioned in Electoral Roles in the 1930s as being owned by a James John Arnold Doubleday (born c1874 , son of John &Ann Doubleday) whose address was given as 14 Corby Road.

He married an Ada Arnold in W Bridgford in 1896.

They had a son , also called James born 1897 but unfortunately he died in France in WW1.

That's all so far .

• Like 2

Welcome Rachael B.  Here's a couple of things for you to look at. 

There's already a thread about another nursery in Mapperley  https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/13593-robinsons-rose-nursery-westdale-lane-carlton/?

And the one you are interested in is marked on maps in the 1950s. (including a 'Ruin').

NrK8K4M.jpg

• Like 3

This is all really wonderful. So interesting to see the map, I wonder if the 'ruin' was one of the Victorian sheds that still survive in a few gardens. St Anne's allotments have had lottery funding to restore some. Great to know there were still some nurseries clinging on as remnants of the 800 allotment gardens of the freehold estate. T

Thankyou

• Like 1

I searched the news archives for this Haywood Road nursery and nothing came up but I did see mention of another nursery I'd never heard of before in the vicinity .

In the early 1940s there were a few adverts for Vryenhoef's Nursery on Mapperley Plains .

Cornelius Vryenhoef , a Dutchman appeared to have worked for Thos. Robinson prior to the 1920s before setting up on his own .

This is one of his adverts :

OVAL-LEAF Privet, 2 1/2ft ,  10/- per 100 ;    £4/10/- per 1,000. — C. Vryenhoef, Mapperley Plains. 
21 February 1941 - Nottingham Evening Post 
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I am finishing my writing for a history board on the topic of Porchester Gardens and a second on Haywood road Nursery.. I have enjoyed reading about Mapperley Tea Rooms and Robinson's Nursery on Westdale Lane. If I may I'm going to use the map of Haywood with nursery marked as an image. Cliff Ton can I ask how you get o see the map, is it online? I would like to check if any other nurseries are marked in the 40s or 50s. Thanks again all.

8 hours ago, Rachael B said:

Cliff Ton can I ask how you get o see the map, is it online? I would like to check if any other nurseries are marked in the 40s or 50s. Thanks again all.

Rachael, I've sent you a PM on the subject.

• 3 years later...