BRYCECLARE

Notts County....

A Notts County player made a little piece of football history on Saturday, any body know what it was ??

Nice little piece on East Midland Today this evening featuring a reception at the Council House for Notts's upcoming 150th anniversary.

A few old-timers there I recognise and an interview with black and white stalwart Colin Slater. Colin related the Notts line-up for his first game covering the Magpies in 1959. He was also asked who his favourite player was during his time covering Notts. Perhaps no surprise when he mentioned Don Masson.

Easily my favourite Notts player too (I'm post Lawton) and for me, a genius of a player. I don't think I have ever seen a better all-round passer of the ball anywhere. His play-making was magnificent but sadly lost on many of his team mates during the lower division days as he was thinking far too quickly for them (and conservatively three passes ahead).

Looking forwards to Saturdays visit to Meadow Lane, for this hospitality do !

Tickets arrived , all nicely embosed and hologrammed , as is my pass to the 1862 suite, pass to the Wheelers Suite for the man of the match presentations, all posh and well presented , especially the meal menu............................................. Pie Chips and Peas !!.......LOL

Crikey ........ I had a wheelbarrow, the wheel fell off  :(

The wheel fell off when Kewell joined. The main body just went downhill from then on.  noblue

As I drove past this afternoon Alan Hardy has not yet put his house up for sale although, strangely enough, both of his immediate neighbours have!

So sad that County have dropped out of the league. And I say that as someone who isn't a supporter of either County or Forest. I'm old enough to remember when Notts were in the old Division 1.

Yes it is sad. My late father was a life long avid Notts fan. Always joked that the ref would wait for him to sit down before he'd kick off. I got dragged along when I was about 5 but I never got into it and was bored to death so I stopped going when I was old enough to speak up. His loyalty to the pies though has rubbed off on me a bit and I listen on radio Nottingham most weeks. It's been a disastrous season and I'm glad that dad isn't here to witness this. He'd be heartbroken. 

Ive got quite a lot of Notts memorabilia inherited from my dad. Signed photos badges etc. Is that worth more or less now?

• Upvote 1

A VERY sad day indeed. However, I will still be proud to tell anybody that asks, that I support NOTTS COUNTY. C'mon you 'pies.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So sad. I'm a Forest fan but was so sorry to see what happened today.  Hope they'll soon bounce back

• Upvote 2

Yes, a gut wrenching day for the Magpies faithfull

Even the Stags managed to miss out on an automatic promotion place so off to the play-offs. Don't hold much hope there given the form over the last few matches.

The least said about Forest the better, another disappointing season.

Shame that the Stags faltered over the last few games. They were bleddy second a week ago.

Forest ! Yes, another season of mid table mediocrity I'm afraid.

What a pity...i follow all our local teams..but the Maggies at the Lane always seemed friendly...seems most things in England are going down the tubes!

• Like 1

I personally am saddened by Notts demise, but I can't wait to see my least favourite brother in laws face when he returns from holiday !

noblue

Sad day for County,, when very young early 50s.....i just remember Dad and uncles talking about crowds of 40,000,,and players such as Tommy Lawton,,Jackie Sewall,,Gordon Bradley,,Tommy Deans,,Leon Luety,,and many others,,,..........come on County sort ya'sens and get back........

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You might see some aspiring, young, keen players amongst their opponents next year without the overpaid prima donnas of the higher leagues. Plus you won’t have to queue to get in and it will be easy to find a seat! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Thats what County need,,some good young(local) players,,and some ideas how to get the crowds back,,ie free admission for under tens and oldies like us,,lol

• Like 1

An old farmer friend, Peter Woodward, was an avid, lifelong County fan. He even once drove his tractor down to Meadow Lane to clear the snow of the pitch for an evening match back in the days of Big Sam. He used to keep the team and staff supplied with pork and beef. Sam probably ate it raw! He didn’t like Brazil though - he lived on a chicken and fish diet! All the team turned up to the village church for his funeral a few years ago.

Sunday mornings won't seem the same next summer down under. When I get up and boot up the laptop the first thing I do before checking the weather forecast is to look at the local teams results. Forest first, then the Stags and then County. Next season I'll have to make a bit more of an effort to look up Notts result. I do hope they can bounce straight back and good luck to the Stags in the playoffs

• Like 2

What went wrong? From being in the play offs last season and all the pundits picking them as promotion hopefuls they end up being relegated.

Was it the managerial revolving door?

Was it the financial issues at the top?

Did the above affect the players?

Was the squad just not good enough?

I suspect it was some of all the above and it is worthwhile to note that only three of the clubs that have been relegated to the 5th tier bounced straight back.

I wish them the best of luck next season.

I think bringing in highly paid players like Dennis, Hemmings, Enzio and later Vaughan didn’t go down too well with the other members of the squad especially when, with the possible exception of Hemings they didn't perform on so many occasions. It happens so often in football these days. Some of these highly paid  prima donnas secure a lucrative contract then couldn’t care less.They still get their obscene salaries no matter what. Some even feign injury because they can't be bothered playing. No pride just greed.

One or two of these overpaid wasters are still on Notts books and their contracts will need to be paid up before they can be shown the door.

• Like 1

Most clubs do the same Mess, when desperation sets in. However, Notts might just need the more experienced players such as Vaughan in the new season. 

The thing that irritates me most of all, is the rotation system, which does nothing for keeping a settled side. 

In Forests Championship season, I think they only used 14 or 16 players, and kept the same side for most of the season.