• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes come on the County lets get back to winning ways shall we? My memory does go back quite a long way and remember seeing the likes of Tommy Lawton play and I was in the ground on their 100th year celebration when they played an England X1. With out a doubt best ever manager was Jimmy.

I remember Sammy Chapman coming over to us and in a pre season game against Forest he miss timed a tackle and took out a County player and someone in the crowd yelled out "For Christs sake Sammy you're playing for us now"

• Upvote 3

I went along to Meadow Lane for this FA Cup Second Round tie in December 1972. Notts won 2-1 with goals from Kevin Randall and Les Bradd in front of an attendance of 6,613 - not bad as they were just above the Third Division relegation zone at the time, although of course they went on to win promotion that season.

Lancaster City are quite lowly placed these days, in the Northern Premier League Division One (North), but back in the pre-Conference days of 1972 they were competing at just one level below the Football League.

Notts had finally modernised their programme design:

Untitled-Scanned-05_zpsxs8w59f6.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-08_zpsu7zcvqpg.jpg

A couple of advertisement pages are of nostalgic interest. Just £1.65 to eat at The Carvery!

Untitled-Scanned-06_zpspss4sqk9.jpg

And just look at the latest fashions:

Untitled-Scanned-07_zpsdbv7r5bd.jpg

(Sorry - should have put this in the 'Football Days' thread)

My hubbies grandad was a Notts County Football player in the 1890's - his name was Jack Mabbott..........

Well done on the win Notts, & congrats to Mike Edwards on scoring. Who needs international players when you have Mike on the books. Brilliant player,very seldom misses a header & good looking too! Keep it up now Notts. lets get back up that league table PLEASE.

A couple of advertisement pages are of nostalgic interest. Just £1.65 to eat at The Carvery!

Untitled-Scanned-06_zpspss4sqk9.jpg

The Albany Carvery was still over 20 quid a person in todays money. And they stung you for drinks!

'Where footballers eat' I never saw any footballers either ( not famous anyway )

• 1 month later...

That brought back memories, the photograph of the Rediffusion Shop. Many happy hours spent downstairs buying/listening/ordering records. It use to be like a social gathering, all mods together and never any trouble.

I remember ordering 45 vinyl record Boogaloo Party by The Flamingos which took ages to arrive....but well worth it and still stored on my juke box

• Upvote 1

Dear Mr Trew, Could you please buy our manager a striker who knows where the onion bag is for Christmas, Thanks.......Yours, in anticipation, Gibbo04

• Upvote 1

I guess the chances of picking up bargains these days are slim - I remember rthe great Jimmy picking up Bob Worthiongton and Don Masson from Workington for a mere £5000

His first game in charge v Halifax Town ended 4 - 4 and the whole of the forward line were new players signed only days before - people like Roy Horrobin, Bob Forrest and Alan Witthers and Buster Brown on loan from West Ham - ahhhh! happy days

Best wishes

Peter

I totally agree Don Masson and Bob Worthington were fantastic bargains and Sir Jimmy certainly achieved miracles with a very limited budget. However, a little known fact is that Don Masson was actually signed for Notts by Billy Gray. This was brought to my attention by the "Don" himself when a work colleague and I sought him out at his Hotel in West Bridgford in 1999. We'd come to Meadow Lane to see the last game of the 97/98 season when Notts were crowned Champions of the old Division Three with Big Sam Allardyce in charge.

That was a memorable day indeed. We met Brian Stubbs, Jon Nixon, Bob Worthington, Tony Hateley and Jimmy and Jack.

Don made us very welcome that evening in his basement bar and told us some lovely stories about his time with Notts, QPR and Scotland. It was a great finish to a great day at Meadow Lane.

Amazingly if you check out the final Division Three placings for that season (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/ncfc9798.html) you'll see that Doncaster Rovers finished bottom (24th) with Swansea 20th, Cardiff 21st, Hull 22nd and Brighton 23rd. Talk about rising from the ashes.

Even buy a cheapo! I remember Notts buying Eddie Kelly..Everton?

Robbie, can just see Crusader Grill on the left.

Wasn't The Crusader Grill a bit further up St James's St?

I remember my ex's dad taking us there in the early 70s before we went on to The Odeon to see The Beatles in Let it Be

When did things go wrong at Notts ? Around 1862 I believe....... No chaps, only joking !!!!!

#42....Don O'Riordans goal against Spurs in the 6th round of the FA cup at White Hart Lane in 1991 was a bit special too. It was a mystery why Gascoigne was still on the pitch to score his goal after he elbowed Paul Harding in the face leaving him with a black eye!

Gascogne ALWAYS got away with murder because everyone thought he was a cheeky rogue.

He was just an out and out CHEAT,

I was thinking a while back when DID things start going wrong at Notts? The Glenn Roeder fiasco was my assumption. A highlight was John Chedozie scoring at White Hart Lane..81??

Ian, according to my dear dad Notts County's decline began in March 1951 when the club sold Jackie Sewell to Sheffield Wednesday for the then record fee of £34,500.

The previous season Notts had been promoted to Div 2 with Lawton and Sewell scoring 50 goals between them. Lawton had vowed to get Notts back into the top flight but instead of investing in the team the club sold Sewell.

Then in 1955 a black cloud descended over the club with the death, from leukemia of their captain Leon Leuty. With today's medical advances he would probably have been cured.

In a similar vein I read that Duncan Edwards (Manchester United and England) who died 15 days after being severely injured in the Munich air disaster in 1958 would have been saved with a modern day kidney transplant.

Yes, the Crusader was further up from the corner, had many a mixed grill in there.

#42 & 46

I think it was in the mid fifties, when County lost it's dominant position to Forest. The club's pinnacle in my lifetime was it 81/82, County and Forest in Division 1. What a legend Jimmy Sirrel, and not even a bleddy terrace named after him.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Notts County