• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, denshaw said:

Can you still say all whites? Did they have to change the name a few years ago. You can still say New Zealand all blacks though.

Well, considering their star player in his youth was Viv Anderson, I think you’d be OK.

18 hours ago, LizzieM said:

It’s a pretty cruel occupation, being a football manager.

It certainly must be, Lizzie. I can't imagine shedloads of cash whether they win or fail is any sort of compensation either. :wacko:

18 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I think the previous owner Ray Trew was glad to get rid of the club. I believe he brought it for £1. I guess Hardy gave him sufficient cash to pay of the debt to the Revenue. It seems to be an ambition for some businessmen to own a football club. A bit of a vanity statement possibly. I can't see him making a killing when he gives up on it.

Unlike most, if not all Notts County's previous owners Alan Hardy is a Notts County supporter.

I think he bought Notts County because he loves the club. He's publicly said that his heart ruled his head when he bought it. I think he will view any profit he makes when he sells the club in the future as a bonus.

With all his other businesses AH is a shrewd and professional operator but with Notts that's all gone out the window as he seeks to get them back up the leagues.

• Upvote 2

It's a shame, but most businessman / chairman / owners think that they can work miracles, and most can't .

Yes Lizzie, as I said, most know zilch ! Re the late Leicester boss, I'll definitely give him the benefit of the doubt.

I read that too Phil.........shame if its true,,seemed a nice bloke......but then again big money often has dubious beginnings,,          

The potential actions are between the Thai government and his companies in that country. Due legal process will ultimately decide the outcome. Corruption in business, although not overly rife in this country, seems to get worse the further east you travel. In many countries it’s just accepted as part of the way of life. 

11 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

I read that too Phil.........shame if its true,,seemed a nice bloke......but then again big money often has dubious beginnings,,          

Having sat as a General Commissioner of Taxes for over 25 year, both in Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire, I’ve had a lot of ‘nice blokes’ appear before me. Some of them ostensibly respectable business people. I could list them and surprise you but I had to sign an official declaration of secrecy! I trust nobody.:biggrin:

• Like 1
22 hours ago, denshaw said:

Can you still say all whites? Did they have to change the name a few years ago. You can still say New Zealand all blacks though.

Den, yes the club's official title is Clifton All Whites FC, as per their Nottinghamshire FA registration. The FA also accepted this as they were listed as Clifton All Whites in the FA Vase draw.

• 4 weeks later...

I genuinely believe Neal Ardley will keep Notts in L2. Alan Hardy has admitted he made a mistake appointing Harry Kewell and he wanted Neal to come in after Kevin Nolan was sacked but Wimbledon wouldn't let him talk to Notts. I think Notts will turn the corner in 2019 when Neal brings in a couple of new faces so keep the faith.

36 minutes ago, Mess said:

I genuinely believe Neal Ardley will keep Notts in L2

I do hope so as if they do get relegated it may result in the demise of this great club. However the Stags did return from National league obscurity.

Although a Forest fan if I were there I would be at Meadow Lane cheering  them on and urge all true football fans in Notts to do the same

• 3 weeks later...

If you work in business, there is always one cardinal rule to keep in mind..the boss is only as good as the team. In football it generally seems to be the other way round.

Given that much football is either a big business or owned by a rich businessman I can never understand why they can't see the bloody obvious.

• 1 month later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Notts County