16 hours ago, jopip said:

As a young boy I collected & swapped programs throughout the UK. this is the oldest...1952.

IMG_00982.jpg

A few years back I bought a Notts County programme for Notts v Forest at Meadow Lane dated 22nd April 1950. I got it off a trader in West End Arcade for £15. The record books show that Notts won the game 2-0 with Lawton and Sewell scoring. The attendance was 46000 with Notts completing the double over Forest that season having beaten Forest 2-1 at the City Ground earlier in December 1949 with 38000 watching. In that game Lawton & Broome scored for Notts.

That season (1949/50) Notts were promoted as Champions of Div 3 (South) whilst Forest finished 4th. They were promoted the following season.

Halcyon days for Nottingham football especially Notts supporters.

Just goes to show how badly things have gone wrong at Meadow Lane of late.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking about Division 4 or League 2 as it is now, County relegated and now The Stags have failed to gain promotion having fallen at the first hurdle in the play-offs. A disaster prone end to the season after looking certainties for an automatic promotion for most of the season.

All in all, not the best season for all Notts league teams.

Think of all the new grounds that the fans can tick off. Plus many old ex league grounds such as Wrexham, Chesterfield, Halifax, Hartlepool, Barrow and Gateshead. 

Chesterfield had a home attendance of around 4,000 last season, their first in non league football. Notts averaged around 7,000 and fellow relegated Yeovil had around 3,000.

Lets see what they can do in the Vanarama National League

8 hours ago, radfordred said:

Chesterfield's Saltergate is now a Barrett housing estate.

Saltergate sounds so much better than Proact Stadium

Proact sounds like something blokes take for waterworks problems

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2019 at 11:58 AM, philmayfield said:

An old farmer friend, Peter Woodward, was an avid, lifelong County fan. He even once drove his tractor down to Meadow Lane to clear the snow of the pitch for an evening match back in the days of Big Sam. He used to keep the team and staff supplied with pork and beef. Sam probably ate it raw! He didn’t like Brazil though - he lived on a chicken and fish diet! All the team turned up to the village church for his funeral a few years ago.

I knew Pete  well, as you know he was a regular for Thurgarton Cricket Club. Great character and a tragic loss to the community.

He was indeed. I used to help him keep his old MF combine running at harvest time. I remember once going down with him to Fen Lane at Long Bennington on the A1 where there was a combine graveyard. We tracked down the appropriated model and a man arrived on a milk float with a gas cutter and removed the part we wanted without the need for a spanner! We took it back to Gibsmere and all was fixed within the hour!

He was once teaching his daughter to drive in his little Fiat. He thought she was going too fast on the sharp bend at Rolleston so he pulled hard on the handbrake spinning the car round. She vowed never to go with him again! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have all the staff been paid then ?

Oh dear. From Leigh Curtis on Twitter...

Breaking: No takeover deal will be completed for Notts County today. Staff outraged. Understand they’ve been told it’s ‘highly unlikely’ they will be paid on Friday. Also Colin Dodd/May still looking to do a deal. Story online soon

They couldn't possibly have done a worse job RR.

Is there enough in the coffers to pay the staff for LAST month !

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Notts County