BRYCECLARE

Notts County....

My belief, is that Kevin Nolan had already lined up his transfer targets before the end of last season under the impression that Notts would win promotion and be playing in League 1. These players would have been well suited to League 1 where you get more time on the ball. However as we know three crucial decisions went against Notts in the two games against Coventry City and we missed out on promotion. The players that came in were not suited to the more physical style of League 2 and we have paid the ultimate price. 

As long as we avoid going into administration a top seven finish and therefore the play offs should be a realistic target, but every club coming to Meadow Lane next season will see it as their Cup Final, so nothing can be taken for granted.

I'm a Forest fan..but sad to see Nott's go out the League..hope they bounce straight back. My fear, even with a half a million parachute that quality ground is going to take some maintenance. God forbid that ground merger idea coming back to the table.

HSR What is wrong with ground sharing?

No business in its right mind would have assets like that "standing idle" and only used once a fortnight.

Like you say lower tier clubs cannot afford the maintenance cost of such facilities. Pitches these days have sub soil heating and irrigation and should easily be able to withstand a game a week. Most clubs have separate training facilities to avoid putting strain and wear and tear on the stadium pitch.

1 hour ago, HSR said:

God forbid that ground merger idea coming back to the table.

I would think Mansfield Town a bit far? Basford town not bad holds a good 1600, those pitches under the Clifton flyover always playable, until it floods, then there's always the Forest plenty of parking, but what about Goose Fair & Bonfire Night? 

Enjoy It Oztalgian.. wouldn't be my personal preference.. 

Just realised Nottingham.........no longer has a league football  team,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Basford Town Ben. Although I wouldn't know where to find it ! :sorry:

12 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

My belief, is that Kevin Nolan had already lined up his transfer targets before the end of last season under the impression that Notts would win promotion and be playing in League 1. These players would have been well suited to League 1 where you get more time on the ball. However as we know three crucial decisions went against Notts in the two games against Coventry City and we missed out on promotion. The players that came in were not suited to the more physical style of League 2 and we have paid the ultimate price. 

As long as we avoid going into administration a top seven finish and therefore the play offs should be a realistic target, but every club coming to Meadow Lane next season will see it as their Cup Final, so nothing can be taken for granted.

Very interesting thoughts Deepdene Boy. 

You're so right about how the style of play changes through the leagues. 

A few seasons back when Notts were relegated from L1 to L2 I noticed how much more physical the games became. I really can’t see Enzio or Vaughan doing any good at all in non league. I believe Vaughan is out of contract anyway.

It would seem that to succeed in the lower leagues you need huge strong players who can take it as well as dish it out. The best example I saw this season was when Newport came to Meadow Lane. They were huge and battered Notts. Jamille Matt was outstanding.

Stags take note for the playoffs Newport are no pushover and if Mr Flitcroft thinks passing football will get Mansfield to Wembley he's in for a surprise.

BTW I bet Michael O'Connor is pleased he chose Lincoln over Notts and what about Derby's rising star Mason Bennett? He looked an excellent prospect when he came to Notts on loan but he only managed one game before his hamstring injury meant he had to return to The Rams.

I meant Football league,,as in football league !!  lol.

Basford United Greenwich ave,,,,..........do you remember their old ground off Mill street ?  they even had a stand,,played there many times,,thought we were at Wembley,,,,,,often had Ten watching plus a couple of Dogs...........

Carlton Town play in the Northern Premier League along with Basford United 

As a young boy I collected & swapped programs throughout the UK. this is the oldest...1952.

IMG_00982.jpg

• Like 2

Good one jopip, County vs Forest quite a collectors item especially now.

Where abouts in OZ are you? Soon be enough Nottstalgia members downunder for a meetup.

9 hours ago, jopip said:

As a young boy I collected & swapped programs throughout the UK. this is the oldest...1952.

IMG_00982.jpg

There's a guy I met once who makes quite a good living buying and selling them on Fleabay

16 hours ago, jopip said:

IMG_00982.jpg

A few years back I bought a Notts County programme for Notts v Forest at Meadow Lane dated 22nd April 1950. I got it off a trader in West End Arcade for £15. The record books show that Notts won the game 2-0 with Lawton and Sewell scoring. The attendance was 46000 with Notts completing the double over Forest that season having beaten Forest 2-1 at the City Ground earlier in December 1949 with 38000 watching. In that game Lawton & Broome scored for Notts.

That season (1949/50) Notts were promoted as Champions of Div 3 (South) whilst Forest finished 4th. They were promoted the following season.

Halcyon days for Nottingham football especially Notts supporters.

Just goes to show how badly things have gone wrong at Meadow Lane of late.

Talking about Division 4 or League 2 as it is now, County relegated and now The Stags have failed to gain promotion having fallen at the first hurdle in the play-offs. A disaster prone end to the season after looking certainties for an automatic promotion for most of the season.

All in all, not the best season for all Notts league teams.

Your certainly going to get some mile in, if your on away days with Notts next season?

D6cFwuLW4AAN4NJ.jpg  

Think of all the new grounds that the fans can tick off. Plus many old ex league grounds such as Wrexham, Chesterfield, Halifax, Hartlepool, Barrow and Gateshead. 

Chesterfield had a home attendance of around 4,000 last season, their first in non league football. Notts averaged around 7,000 and fellow relegated Yeovil had around 3,000.

Lets see what they can do in the Vanarama National League

Chesterfield's Saltergate is now a Barrett housing estate.

8 hours ago, radfordred said:

Chesterfield's Saltergate is now a Barrett housing estate.

Saltergate sounds so much better than Proact Stadium

Proact sounds like something blokes take for waterworks problems

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2019 at 11:58 AM, philmayfield said:

An old farmer friend, Peter Woodward, was an avid, lifelong County fan. He even once drove his tractor down to Meadow Lane to clear the snow of the pitch for an evening match back in the days of Big Sam. He used to keep the team and staff supplied with pork and beef. Sam probably ate it raw! He didn’t like Brazil though - he lived on a chicken and fish diet! All the team turned up to the village church for his funeral a few years ago.

I knew Pete  well, as you know he was a regular for Thurgarton Cricket Club. Great character and a tragic loss to the community.

He was indeed. I used to help him keep his old MF combine running at harvest time. I remember once going down with him to Fen Lane at Long Bennington on the A1 where there was a combine graveyard. We tracked down the appropriated model and a man arrived on a milk float with a gas cutter and removed the part we wanted without the need for a spanner! We took it back to Gibsmere and all was fixed within the hour!

He was once teaching his daughter to drive in his little Fiat. He thought she was going too fast on the sharp bend at Rolleston so he pulled hard on the handbrake spinning the car round. She vowed never to go with him again! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1