Sign in to follow this  
philmayfield

Open Gardens

Just got in from an afternoon in our meadow, one of the attractions in the village ‘open gardens and open church’. Perfect weather until the very last minute. The grey Fergie started and performed well and was quite an attraction. Lots of very interesting, knowledgeable people to talk to. There was a large turn out and many teas were sold in the village hall. They’re having a bit of a knees up in there this evening for the participants on bring and share basis but I think I’ll head off to the farm shop which is open until 9pm and get some proper food and not share it with anyone except my wife. I can’t keep up this sociability nonsense all evening! :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Well I've just returned from Gonalston farm shop with a boeuf borgignon and some duchesse potatoes. At around £10 that's an expensive take away. As I passed the village hall I saw some old farts carrying hot food in. I don't think I could face a jolly evening with them! I feel somewhat weary after a long day in the sun. I've got to get up early tomorrow to take my car to the dealership in Lincoln for its three year service and first MOT. Never time to relax here.:biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Well the boeuf bourguignon and duchesse potatoes were disgusting so I was in bed at 8pm ready to be up at the crack of dawn for the 30 minute drive to Lincoln. My loan car for the day is a Range Rover Evoque. Never before have I seen so many electronic gizmos. All the dash is electronic and this follows through to the central console. There's so many symbols to press, all meaningless unless you read the manual. I was unable to switch the radio off so I had to listen to Radio 1 for 20 miles! The most intriguing thing is the head up display where you can view your speed about three feet in front of you. The vehicle I was driving the previous day was a 1952 Ferguson tractor. As you can imagine things have moved on a bit in 67 years. I think cars are getting a bit silly now, they seem to install electronic wizardry just because they can. You can spend more time pressing things than looking at the road but that problem's taken care of by having automatic braking to stop you running into the car in front and something that takes over the steering if you cross the white line. I think I'll see if I can drive it from the back seat when I return it!  

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

I find the ‘head up display’ of the car’s speed, placed right in the drivers line of sight is extremely irritating. Apparently it can be turned off but having looked in the manual and pressed various symbols I can’t get rid of it. Were I a PhD in computer science, or an eight year old child perhaps I could sort it out. :biggrin:

I have recently took delivery of a new Audi , so I know what you mean, after 5 weeks of reading the handbook I am still finding ways of switching things off. The car still drives perfectly well and now I have less buzzers going off and making me jump and irritating voices telling me what to do. They are installing new technology to cars just because they are able to, I can no longer play CDs in the car I have to put all my music on sim cards , but to change the card I have to go in the passenger glove box as the socket is in there. I use to just press a button and another CD would play, if this this progress leave me out of it.

The other problem is if something goes wrong on them. Nothing can really be 'repaired' any longer; it's a case of replacing the old unit with a new one.

A good example is the "christmas fairy light" displays you get on headlights and sidelights on modern cars (including Evoque). If the light fails, it used to be a new bulb for £5....now it's a new unit for £400 +.

My heads up is almost essential for me. Due to the position I sit  the steering wheel blocks my view of the speedo, I can put a digital indication on the display but there are other things I'd rather have. The most useless and potentially dangerous in my view is the self steering. It's not always necessary to indicate when changing lanes but you cannot let the car move gently to the next lane for an overtake unless you indicate. If you don't it fights you trying to stay in lane and that brings in the radar and that.....  

Had the car 18 months now and only last week found out I can open the boot simply by waving my foot under the back bumper, dead handy when carrying something bulky.

I knew my tailgate opened and closed by buttons on the tailgate , but 2 weeks after getting the car putting it in the garage and the garage door closed, I was having a bad day mobility wise and struggled to get out of the car. I then found out there is also a button for opening the tailgate on the drivers door, I must have pressed it, I heard and expensive bang, yes the tailgate opened onto the inside of the garage door. Damm this new technology.

17 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

If the light fails, it used to be a new bulb for £5....now it's a new unit for £400 +.

You might be a bit out with that CT, just had my car done after someone scuffed it in a car park. Scratched the head light (among other damage), new unit -  £1400 plus fitting!

It's no wonder insurance is so expensive. apart from the outrageous cost of parts FIVE diferent companies were involved in organising the repair. Of course they all want a slice of the pie.  

Now I'm bombarded by phone calls to make a claim for injury. When I said there is none one even suggested 'a little white lie' as there are no medical checks.

I'm sure there is a breach of the data protection by someone or they wouldn't know my name and number...  GRRR

• Like 1