Blondie.. it's just that surgery that put us off!! Couple of babychams in the 3 crowns and a rum n pep in the monkeys - what more would one want?? A bag of jockeys after the Adelphi or 5bob of scratchings outta Steggles... I'm getting all misty eyed..a cappuccino with Benjamin.. I could go on!!!!!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

Moderators, Administrators, ban her, tell her she cannot post anymore messages!!! We can't have language like that, especially by someone from bleddy 'uckna.

Shutup..............Hucknall was a far superior place, well it was when I lived there......

• Upvote 1

Blondie.. it's just that surgery that put us off!! Couple of babychams in the 3 crowns and a rum n pep in the monkeys - what more would one want?? A bag of jockeys after the Adelphi or 5bob of scratchings outta Steggles... I'm getting all misty eyed..a cappuccino with Benjamin.. I could go on!!!!!

That surgery put me off too.........

Well thankyou Mr Dawson, you are so kind, I could smell the scent, I will do the same for you.........I am feeling better today too........Must meet up for a drink when I am fully recovered......... just realised that you live in Ireland, a bit far away, although I do have a great friend in Shannon.............

I'm a bit old fashioned like that,I know I moan on 'ere a bit,but I have always cared for people and am not mean..especially with listening or giving folks time.Your health is your wealth Blondie,people sometimes forget about others problems" eaten apples, soon forgotten" and all that.

I've not read the bulk of this thread but it seems my family were Bulwell through and through.

My Grandad Jack Whyman lived at No. 4 Grindon Crescent until he died in 1969. Prior to that he was a Railway Signalman and worked the box at Bulwell Crossings (St Alban's Rd/Bestwood Rd Junction.) Before that he lived in the Railway House at Bobber's Mill, which I believe was only demolished a couple of years ago. Jack won the Military Medal in WW1. Jack's Dad John Whyman also lived in the Railway House and John's Dad William was a lock keeper on the Derby Canal at Borrowash from about 1848 to 1898.

My Mum was also brought up in Bobber's Mill and then Bulwell Hall. She passed away just a couple of weeks ago aged 91. She went to Springfield School in the 1930s and then worked for Springfield Hosiery. Somewhere there's a pic of her at about 15, working in there.

When I was a kid, the area opposite Grindon Crs, was just a sort of swamp. There were trees, but they were all standing in water and full of Rooks. It's all been a garage or something since.about the 70s

As a lad I remember the shops along Bulwell Main St all had their 'awnings' out.

Who remembers that on Coventry Rd, between Buckingham Rd and Hempshill Lane, there was a pub that was closed down even in the early 60s. It was the Black Horse.

There were two chippies along main street.. Both on the right as you headed toward the Adelphi. The first was Sanderson's, or 'Sando's. The next was way further down. On a corner, around the Three Crown's area. Not as good. smelly old fat in the fryers.

• Upvote 3

My Grandad Jack Whyman lived at No. 4 Grindon Crescent until he died in 1969. Prior to that he was a Railway Signalman and ......... he lived in the Railway House at Bobber's Mill, which I believe was only demolished a couple of years ago.

This one ?

cross-2.jpg

• Upvote 1

That's the one! Thank you so much for posting it.!

I've only seen B/W pics of it so far, sent to me by a cousin! It's not still there is it?

I'm going to try to save that pic.

It's really odd to think that my Great Grandad, Grandad, Mum and uncle all lived in there at some point.

Also my Mum used to talk about living somewhere called 'Nut Yard'. She said it was scary in the dark, but I can't find any reference to it.

Col

No, it's not still there. That photo was taken by me in July 2011, and I did it for a burst of nostalgia.

My grandparents lived in Radford (Grimston Road) and when we visited - quite often - in the 1960s we would sometimes go down to the railway line to watch the trains. Easily amused in those days. I don't remember if the house was still occupied then, but I guess I would have seen your relatives.

Interesting thread (being a Bulwell resident 1964-1984).

#74/#75 Three Crowns pub - the car sales was New Crown Motors (became Vauxhall dealership then their parts dept.); maybe named after the pub?

#184, Enigma1st's photo of Main Street - bus is old format T plate, so registered bet Aug 78 and Jul 79. It would have been 12 years old by the 1990s so the photo may be earlier? (how long did NCT keep buses?)

#61 and others; the Carberry brothers. I believe their father was a chemistry teacher at The Becket grammar school.

#111/#113/#126: Steeplejacks on Radford Road near Shippo's. I think that was A W Elliott (Steeplejacks) & Co. Ltd. (incorporated 1951 but since dissolved). Local lad: Alfred William Elliott born 1911, Nottingham.

#41: Jewellers on Highbury Road/Vale. Ken Clarke's dad was indeed the jeweller with the shop in that row near Northern Bridge / Oakleigh Lodge. However, the jeweller with the manual disability was Mr Lawler, just round the corner from Henrietta Street.

MORE SHOPS

Just remembered another shop at bottom end of Bannerman Road; Frank Hunt (be careful in pronouncing his name!), general grocer with one of those scary bacon slicers (a machine, not a person). Fishing tackle shop was next door.

Round the corner on the Vale was another Frank: Frank Ellis, greengrocer (his father had the shop before him so it must have been well established). I remember mam regularly buying a 56lb bag of King Edward potatoes and Frank Ellis would deliver in person at 'close of play' - he walked to our house with the bag on his shoulder.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Them scary 'Bacon Slicers' were 'Berkel and Parnall's' and always Red,every 'Marsden' shop had one,still have a'Scar' on me thumb from one of em,oh and the 'Fishing tackle shop is still there.

Funny how Scar's invoke memories,.....IE,..Thumb,Marsdens,several others from Football days,and even more from EX Wives, kickme

• Like 1

#266 The Engineer.

I remember that bus coming to Bulwell Depot & drove it many times, usually NCT kept buses to they were well worn in ! Always maintained & in tip top condition BTW.

Some other bus companies & hauliers could learn a lot about vehicle maintainence from NCT.

Bus 652, nice to drive too ! I was at NCT when that photo was taken !

• Like 1

There should be more people in the world like you Mr Dawson .............

• Upvote 1

I can remember the Carberry brothers, John was the dentist and Paul was the doctor at Bulwell Health Centre, I used to work for Drs Carberry, Ansell and Grant back in the 1970/80s...........

• Like 1

Yes Denshaw - It is a long way to Tipperary, I've been there and it is a nice place, much better than Bulwell...........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1