Sorry Benjamin BUT hubby (from Basford) says Bulwell the last place God made. So you could say he was either fed up or had lots of practice.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

Benjamin #574.

Spot on Benjamin. It really is a lovely place and I especially like the old Bulwell Stone. A lot like the local Nottm sandstone which I believe was called 'Bunter Sandstone', but often more golden and a bit coarser in texture.

Still a lot of old stone buildings about and the 'Bogs' is still a nice area. (Though naturally it was better in my day.. ;) )

All that said, the powers that be need to be more sensitive to the history of the place and stop wrecking everything in rthe name of 'progress'.

Col

• Upvote 2

If I'm not mistaken that is a horse trough next to the lamp front and centre. It got me to thinking. I have a very vague memory of asking my Mum about something similar when I was very small and her telling me it was so that the horses could have a drink. I put my hands in the water and she told me off. I think the one I recall was close to a wall. Anybody remember any horse troughs still about in Nottingham, Bulwell etc., into the 1950s?

Col

Col,

I certainly remember the horse-trough that stood next the No.7 bus terminus (and its clock). bogside just before you turned left onto the bridge.

• Upvote 2

Thanks Chulla. Sounds like it could be what I recall. I don't remember a No7though. Only recall the trolleybuses parking on the other side by the Horse and Jockey/ Penguin Cafe area. Do you mean before turning onto the Highbury Road bridge, or the older bridge over to the Horse Shoe?

Col

The little old stone bridge that leads to the Horse Shoe Inn; the station - tram and train now. I would think that it was there until sometime in the 1960s. Up until the late 1950s horse and carts were not an unusual sight.

I don't remember the road through the middle of the island like that. Was it removed when the trams disappeared?

I certainly remember the horse-trough that stood next the No.7 bus terminus (and its clock). bogside just before you turned left onto the bridge.

The answer to everything and more. The trough (Tr) and fountain (D. Fn) are both marked here. As well as the tram-lines going down the middle.

bulwell_zpstbi7h9t3.jpg

• Upvote 1

The trough I refer to was right where the L in Leen is. That was the No.7 bus terminus. I would imagine that the trough was moved when the market island was made circular. No sign of the Olympia theatre. I see the old Liberal Club - later the 360 Club.

• Upvote 1

Such a crying shame. Another once beautiful building gone to rack and ruin.

• Upvote 1

Noticed the other day that the Bull and Well carving on St.Mary's school is now completly obscured by 'Ivy'...........felt like ripping it all off...........lol.

Thank you,Thank you Mick!

Great memories of the 70's & 80's.

I had forgotten about Just Sarah,couldn't forget the Laundrette next door my Dad trapped my Mothers fingers in the door of his Oxford one Saturday when the washer had broke.

Great nights in the Lion Revived..Pernod times..ouch!!

Question: did the men let homing pigeons off from the Market Place one time?

Seem to recall my Dad telling me there was a brilliant cafe run by a Husband/Wife near the Adelphi.( 40's )

Anyroad.. ta.

If I'm not mistaken, the 'Lion Revived' is the former Robinson's Hill Social Club. For a brief few months in around 1967 the place was run by a young couple who had some relationship to the owners. (I will refrain from using names.) The place was re-named 'The Tabla' ( A sort of drum used in various countries of the Indian sub continent.) The bar area was painted out with psychedelic imagery using 'Dayglo' paint on black, by a rather talented bloke. (Whose name I will also refrain from using) It was essentially run as a disco, but with the focus more on psychedelia etc., than on the more usual Soul/Motown stuff. The approach to licensing laws and drinking ages was, shall we say..... relaxed. I could go into much more detail, but perhaps best not to.

As you might expect, it didn't last long, but I recall seeing the first TV showing of the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour on the telly there when there was a 'lock in'.

Shortly after the failed, but hugely entertaining 'Tabla' experiment, the place was redecorated... again.. and opened as a normal social club. As well as the 360 Club, I also did DJ sessions at 'Robbo's Hill'. Never that busy because it was essentially midweek, but a good laugh. The chap who was running it at this point started a 'Film Club'. ( Before you start... NO, it was not THAT sort of film club... :Shock: ) The only film I recall seeing was 633 Squadron. You have to grasp that back then you saw it on telly or in the cinema, or you missed it. There were no DVD's VCRs, Sky Boxes, iPlayers etc.

After that I lost contact and by 1971 was away from Nottm, so I cxan't comment on later times.

Col

• Upvote 1

Ian Dawson mentioned a brilliant café near the Adelphi cinema, I reckon he was referring to the Magpie café which was owned by an ex-Notts County footballer ( goal keeper I think) named Eddie Lawrence. My Mother worked (part time I think) in the café and when I was off school, I often went there for my lunch. The river Leen ran at the bottom of the café garden, I used to watch the brown trout.

Happy days.

posted by Newbie

• Upvote 2

Ian #594. I recall pigeon fanciers sitting in the bar of the old Lord Nelson on Hempshill Lane, setting their race clocks. I never saw them actually release the birds, but the Market wasn't far away.

Col

No, clocks set at departure point, then again at arrival point.

Another usual collection point for the pigeons was at the Swinger at Bulwell Hall, nice big car park to park an artic up !

I was once offered a job driving that wagon on a casual basis when the regular driver was off, a polite refusal ensued.

The pigeons were all released at various places around the country all at the same time,you had to make it hard for the pigeons to remember their way home ! hellothere

Maybe I've explained what I meant wrong or maybe I don't know how it works. i thought what happened was that all the pigeons were taken to (a pub for example) and loaded onto a lorry. they were all then driven miles away to be released while the clocks were synchronised at the pub. The fanciers then go back home to await their birds. DJ360 saying he'd not seen them released but the market was nearby made me think he meant the birds were released near the pub which I think is wrong. Have I got it right or do I not understand how it worked?