Katrina at carlton, lovely girl still bump into her at times,lives in awsworth 

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

Margie's lovely post about her day reminded me of something I was going to post sometime back but forgot,it was "The Bulwell Brick Company" they had a site on the Wells road that was listed in Kelly's directory from 1891-1916 and again on Kett street listed in the directory 1876-1932 closing in 1940,there was also bricks manufactured from Babbington colliery as well as Wollaton colliery and no doubt various other collieries,(make sense really to use the clay that was dug out?)I have attached a picture of a brick that I got from the very informative website "penmorfa"

Bulwell_zpscokgbwoq.jpg

Rog

Coincidentally Rog I have a "Bulwell" brick too ! About forty years ago when I turfed my back yard I dug this one up & as been used ever since as a door stop.

I don't live a million miles from Kett Street also there was McCarthy's brick yard on Thames Street, now gone of course, I wonder where my brick came from ?

P1030483_zpstf9cxsvr.jpg

• Upvote 1

Intit funny what different topics throw up on this wonderful site,Never knew about the Bulwell Brick company until I saw the bricks on that website,looking at the shape of the frog and the lettering in the brick I would say yours came from the Kett street yard later on and the one in the picture I posted came from the earlier site,as time went on the frog designs became a lot simpler, nice find Mick

Rog

• Upvote 1

Thanks Mick,I will do a search on google earth because I'm not quite sure where it was

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

It's looking quite likely I will come over to Bulwell  tomorrow morning,should be near the market place between 10.00-10.30 if any of you are about give me a shout if you see me,the only people I would recognise would be Mr and Mrs Catfan,I will keep em peeled

Rog

• Upvote 2

Bit too warm for the trike Phil,ok first thing in the morning when it's a bit cooler but It might take about four hours to get there by which time I would have melted

Rog

#838 Rog...............i will keep em peeled Rog,...............seen your photo's..........dare i ask what will you be wearing ?

Probably black trousers with a dark blue T shirt and just to be sure a baseball cap with a CAT logo

Rog

843# rog...............neh mind mate i'll still talk to you...........you'll know me..............i'll be Limping and holding my mouth.........:(

Arrived in Bulwell about 10.20 lots of traffic in Newark,anyroad had a walk up and down the main street to get my bearings,It's nearly 13 years since I was last there,nice to see friendly people walking about with smiles on their faces,plenty of leg on show as well and that was just the men,decided to have a sit down for five minutes when a voice said "plantfit" it was Chulla,very nice to meet up with someone from this website,went into Wetherspoons and had a tea for Chulla and a coffee for me and very nice it was too,we sat outside and had an amazing natter about aircraft,Chulla is very knowledgeable on the subject and I found him a very interesting person to listen to,we I had missed Benjamin which was a shame because I had polished my shoes especially for the occasion,maybe next time I'm over,

Here is a picture for the record and I look forward to another meeting in the future.

Once again thanks to Chulla for the very warm welcome and very intesting talk (I could listen to him all day talking about aircraft)

P1050717_zpsledsmigu.jpg

Rog

• Upvote 8

Sorry i just missed you Rog..........was in Wethers untill about ten,........would have stayed longer but they had no small Espresso cups,...lodged my complaint and went over to 'costa coffee' for my fix......even had a cig with it outside.......they told me i could'nt ,but being a bit grumpy with tooth and Toe ache.......told them what to do..........then had a Gander round the Market place looking for you...........glad you met Chulla,no lack of conversation when you're with him........lol................maybe next time Rog.

• Upvote 1

Sorry we missed you this morning Rog, had to visit the Doc & hot footed it afterwards to Bulwell Market & then I thought, Rog will be in Wethers with Benjamin & Chulla but no couldn't see you.

Mrs C looked everywhere but the bleddy smoking area outside, Being non-smokers we wouldn't think to look there !

Glad that at least one friendly face was  there to see you, maybe next time !

• Upvote 1

Will come over again in a couple of weeks,got to visit the medical man on the 28th so will come over that week all being well,

Rog

Well, I don't know CF! You and Mrs C didn't have your thinking-caps on. If Ben had been there you would have missed him too, because he likes an al fresco drag. Worst of all you missed my explanation to Rog of the retraction sequence of the Victor bomber's undercarriage. For those who now wished they'd been there and heard it, here it is:

The eight-wheel bogie first rotates clockwise about its main axle for about 100 degrees until it is lying parallel with the undercarriage strut. The whole lot then hinges upward to fill the hole in the wing where it resides after take-off.

• Upvote 1

Utterley devastated rog......lol

As it happened,while sat outside costa coffee with me fag,got gabbing to a chap who insisted on telling me how he had worked 30 years with a machine that cut metal of all different thickness and lengths,   bleddy glad to get home and sort me ties out 

• Upvote 5
  • 3 weeks later...

It's the Bulwell Festival next week. On Tuesday evening (11th) at 7.00 in Wetherspoons there will be poetry readings by those who fancy the opportunity. The Bard of Bulwell will be there (yours truly) reciting two or three of his own efforts. It's free (not the beer  - the entrance fee)

• Upvote 5