• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

As mentioned earlier, Tuesday night at the Bulwell 'spoons was poetry night as part of the annual Bulwell Festival. What a very good occasion it was - attendance was 45, which pleased Wetherspoons.

About 15 of us recited and only one was not rhyming verse - I gave them five of mine. This was a far more enjoyable experience than the one I attended earlier in the year by the Nottingham Poetry Society.

The lady who organised the event, Joy, can be seen addressing the audience in the photo below. A comical gel, her 'party piece' was her singing Greensleeves. The tune was the same but the words were all about Bulwell, delivered in a Bulwell/Nottingham dialect, full of causies, mardies, black over Bill's mothers, etc, etc. A young lady, who was not a poet, told us that she took established poems and set them to music. For her example she sang the words of a Yeats poem, to her own musical composition.   

The two photos (also on Facebook) were taken by Wendy Soo Mawston.

Bulwell_poetry_night_2017.jpg

Me_at_Bulwell_poetry_night.jpg

Chulla giving it some poetic welly, not evangelizing.

• Upvote 9

All the poems were ones that are posted on NS. They were:

Bulwell

La belle elegant

The interrupted romance

A matter of the heart

Getting old

I have four more to post on NS and that will be it.

#860. No, Jill. I have run out of people who want to read them.

• 4 weeks later...

Chemo day today (number 6 of 10). Tomorrow morning will be having breakfast in 'spoons Bulwell at 9 o'clock, hopefully accompanied by Bubblewrap. Anyone want to join us then please do. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you, Jill - the infusion is straight-forward and lasts around a hour and a half.

As to your previous question - do I look like a liberty bodice person? Decorum is my middle name! Mind you, it does get a bit nippy in Tibet.

My, you know how to live it up Mick !:hungr:

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, catfan said:

Went in 'Spoons at lunchtime today, 8 oz rump steak chips& peas £3.99, praise the lord !

Hey, Mike, according to 'spoon's price list, rump steak is £10.90. If that's what being religious does, I had better see the light.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Chulla said:

Hey, Mike, according to 'spoon's price list, rump steak is £10.90. If that's what being religious does, I had better see the light.

I wonder if it was the rump from an animal other than a bullock to make it so cheap?

• Upvote 1

Margie. According to the 'spoons menu, it was Aberdeen Angus. The alternative was sirloin, for the same price. £3.99 is cheaper than Skeggy fish and chips.thumbsup

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I am meeting up with Chulla on Monday 28th August in Wetherspoons Bulwell for breakfast at about 09.00-09.30 if anyone is about come and join us

Rog

Not changed since I were a kid then Ben,never knew my luck then except the only thing that was certain was a clout of me mam

Rog

• Like 1