• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

Consider mesen a lucky fella @davidsheridan..to grow up and spend most of my life with my lovely Aunts and female cousins always preferred female company because of them...Nel..Doris..Rose,,Connie...Margaret...Gwen...they were my Bulwell Aunts....all great characters,,,

All now gone but never will be forgotten.....for there Laughter...singing and dancing....

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

...Nel..Doris..Rose,,Connie...Margaret...Gwen..

A good example of how names go in and out of fashion.

Rose is fairly popular now, but I'll bet there have been very few of the others in recent years.

Always found names remind you of a certain era.......all of the above were born in the 20s and 30s.....and their female children have names from the 40s and early 50s........

Brenda...Linda...Carol...Angela...Mary...Ann...June...Shirley...Joy....Helen...Christine and Donna.........and thats just the female cousins........:)

Edit...oh just remembered some more.....don't worry though won't list them.....to say nowt of second Cousins....lol

Names at Berridge during my time were: Susan, Jane/Jayne, John, Peter, Michael, Stephen/Steven,  Christopher and Colin .

No boys at Manning, of course, but every other girl was called Julie or Sharon, with the occasional Elizabeth thrown in.

Late wife's name was Janet.  Born mid forties, like me.  second wife,  Mrs Loppy, also Janet.  Guess I've always liked the name.  Also born in forties.  Not a name you hear much today.

Some of the very much older girls’ names are coming back though .  I know a few young girls called Emily, Amy, Charlotte, Emma, Alice and even one called Mabel…

The family obviously has a V obsession, but if that’s what they choose, then that’s fine.

is your daughter a V as well?

My Aunty was Audrey Jocelyn. She of the understudy to Valerie Hobson the actress. She looked very like her

Valerie Hobson was yes Beekay, not my Aunty LOL

I'm so glad you've said that Phil, it was one of the crossword answers and I didn't know how to spell it. You shouda been an interpreter.

On 2/28/2023 at 10:48 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Here you are David...............the Bogs in all its majestic glory....

Old Jaqui hey !!!.........lovely gel......:rolleyes:Ku6qs1rDiB-sliFYAc0op6eaf1xXUFH1ilRFAcI6The Bogs still there........always wiil be.......

Wow thanks Ben pretty much as I remember it , thinking of my romance there is stirring me old loins , yes they do get stirred occasionally,  I used to have me snap there in my lunch break ,when I worked briefly in a stocking hosiery factory on Greasley Street,  I was a shy young Un and the gals that worked there used to rip the fun out of me , enough to make me cheeks red !!!!!!

• Like 2

Spurtle on ? Never heard that , but gerra, spurt on lad , or you'd better dab in as me dear old dad used to say , me dad used to say comb yer hair you look like the wild man of Borneo , and to me brother who seldom cut his toe nails he'd say , cut those toe nails yer look like fu manchu  !!!!!

• Like 1