Wetherspoons in Bulwell sinking in to oblivion rapidly, went in for a coffee yesterday morning with Mrs Catfan after shopping at Tesco's.

No sign of benjamin1945 !

Every table we looked at had food debris & dirty drink glasses still on the tables, nearby were two "Women" & a bloke with baby, woman kept checking to see if baby had crapped by having a sniff of said baby's nappy.

When they decided it was time to go, (by this time the baby is crawling all over the table) mother stood up & noticed food all over the floor what they had dropped. Her solution was not to ask for someone to bring a brush & dustpan, no, she kicked all the food under the table instead. After checking no one was looking.

Sod Wetherspoons, I'll spend my brass in the Lime Kiln exclusively.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

Again catfan,you missed me,i was in 9.15 to 10am,no babys or smelly nappies,just nice expresso and eggs benedict served with a good portion of banter,do try for earlier,you won't have to buy me food............but an expresso would be good only 1.09p,........ :biggrin:

Sitting reading the posts about Bulwell , the folk were the salt of the earth and in the main it was a pleasure to work there .It certainly had its share of characters and recall dry cleaning the unusual coat of the most prolific shoplifters in Bulwell a time or two , he had his image to keep lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The thing i can never understand about many 'Shoplifters' they would wear clothes that really stood out,bright colours etc,......in Bulwell you could almost see em coming from Aspley, lol.

• Upvote 4

In 1967 and 1968 I sometimes went with friends to the Bulwell Miners Welfare Club that was by the bus stop, right in the middle of Bulwell. Their parents were members. It was always very pleasant, friendly and well behaved. I always felt comfortable and safe and the only irritation was when often the lights did not work in the ladies loo!. My memories are good.

Thought i knew Bulwell shirley,but can't ever remember a miners welfare there,Basford and Bestwood yes,but not Bulwell,am i losing it ? lol.

To be honest i never thought Bulwell was rough- Broxtowe when i was living on Grindon Cresc. was pretty dodgy- did a leaflet drop there in early 80's-it was my silver tongue or fast legs!! -that saved me from a good kicking! Made great mates- sneaked into Marshalls loads of times to look at the units etc.. Have to say as well the Bulwell bird wo'nt bad either!!

Oh please dont get me wrong , i loved Bulwell, good and bad everywhere , it was 1980s early 90s when i worked there , not forgetting 1970 at the day nursery , folks were in the main good folk but as anywhere ,there were some rum uns x

• Upvote 2

Thanks Benjamin, you set me thinking and researching where we went in Bulwell. I remembered it as being a club but it was not, it was a pub. It was a long time ago! Found a picture on the website:

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/nottinghamshire/nottingham_ng6_horsejockey.html

On the site it says it was a busy and boisterous pub. I remember the busy but not the boisterous! Just pleasant and friendly. Demolished in the 1990s. Even in 1968 it did seem old fashioned.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mam,Dad,uncles and Aunts all met up there on Market day,great memories,Dad following Mam as he pushed the shopping trolly wearing his flat cap and collar and Tie,and if a fight broke out,Dad would just say 'mind me ale' lol.

The Butcher next door was always busy,and ofcourse years before that pic.the building next to that was another Marsdens did work there for a bit the manager was a great bloke Mr Jack Pinder.

Ah,thanks again Cliff Ton,.....30 yrs after that pic.i was in there with Jack the manager and some lovely lady staff,.....June,Ivy and Christine,weighing up Tub butter,Sugar in blue bags,loose Lard,Currants,Sultannas and mixed peel,........wearing my white coat,apron,shiny shoes and white shirt with a 'slim jim tie'.i was a happy 15 yr old,

• Like 1