• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

The council spent a small fortune doing it up Bilbraborn, now they want to knock it down & rebuild it down by the "Bogs".

This loony labour council loves spending our money on projects that are not needed, just like the Tram.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have a Bulwell Directory, giving listings of firms, businesses and residents of houses. There is no date of printing but because a Triumph Herald car features in an advert it must be in the 1960s. This is before the area clearances and the building of the new estates. If anyone would like to know who lived where at that time then PM me, or if it is about businesses and of wider interest then put it in this thread.

Bilbraborn. There is no mention of them in the Directory. The firms are only mentioned in the residence lists where someone lives at an address. In the advertisements they are not mentioned - probably only would be if they paid to be, and in the Trades section there is no mention of an upholstery company. Again, this is probably because they did not contribute to the cost of the Directory.

Eastwood Street had 14 houses, numbered 1 to 27. It was off Leonard Street - I have checked for MBC but not there.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few pages from the Bulwell Directory, which some might find of interest. The K. H. Clarke is the father of Ken Clarke MP.

Bulwell%202_zpsaq6egqr8.jpg

Bulwell%201_zpsdprkvepf.jpg

• Upvote 2

Very interesting Chulla, I played cricket a few times for Broomhill Road Methodists. Also the National Provincial Bank and the Westminster Bank merged in 1970 although I do not know when the two Bulwell branches merged. I cannot remember K H Clarke jewelers on Highbury Road I would not have had enough money to shop there.

I cannot remember K H Clarke jewelers on Highbury Road

It wasn't just on the Bulwell side of Northern Bridge was it? I remember there used to be a watchmakers in that row of shops. Maybe still is for all I know. Don't know if that would be where no. 25 is, so I could be completely wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, well well. I'm amazed !!!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

It still is 'Bomber' ,been in this morning wet and miserable weather but Bulwell very busy, car parks mostly full,shops all busy,market thriving,Church group setting up under a canvass with musical instruments,whilst a blind lady was giving Oration about the meaning of 'Easter' looked on by a crowd of about 50,plus lots of 'ey ups' from old friends...........Made me happy anyway. :)

• Upvote 4

I used to work at The Bulwell Health Centre.................1970s - 80's...........

• Like 1

Moved to Grindon Cresc in '73 . Apollo pub. Marshalls lorry yard. Adelphi cinema. Nice cars showroom. Dolly tub launderette. House of holland. Acropolis fish bar. Sun valley. Rediffusion. WHO remembers the sign FIREWORKS GALORE! Horse and jockey. Martins newsagents but i can't remember the cycle shop name near bus stops??