OMG Enigma! That is the very place my Grandad. Jack Whyman MM worked when I was a kid. Jack died in 1969. I've been in there and actually turned the wheel that opened the crossing gates. Fabulous memories. All the more poignant just now as only yesterday we said our farewells to my Mum, Joyce (nee Whyman) who passed away recently aged 91.

I have a picture of a similar signal box, with my Grandad Jack at the open window. I can't say exactly where it was, but it may be Bobber's Mill.

21133797939_a15d825d17_b.jpg

There you go! This picture is dated: July 22nd 1927.

Col

• Upvote 5
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

https://www.flickr.com/gp/136033576@N07/R7cz4Q

OK. As you can see from #277 above, I had no trouble posting my signal box image from Flickr. But now, I can't get the above link.. also from Flickr, to post 'inline'. It's a lovely pic from Springfields Hosiery Finishing in Bulwell and features my Mum as a girl, in white, on the left. I'm guessing she's about 15/16, which would make it about 1938/9. If anyone can advise why I can't get it 'in line', or advise exactly what 'that image extension' is that I'm not allowed to use, I would be deliighted.

Thanks.

Col

• Upvote 1

P.S. Also found out yesterday that my uncle Frank Radford kept the Horse and Jockey in Bulwell Mkt for a while in the 60s. Anyone remember him?

Col

• Upvote 1

Many thanks Fynger.

But what's the secret? ....... :huh:

Col

O right....

OK I've tried that but when I select the largest image and right click I don't get the option to 'copy image'. Only to 'copy link location'.

P'raps they don't like me..

Nope. Still won't work. I can get 'copy image' from the 'all sizes' page, but it won't let me paste in here. No optoioon appears here when I right click.

Flickr is very rubbish now, so could be their issue.

Col

Yep well that worked but not straightforward as you said. I right clicked, then had to click 'Save' in bottom right, then right click on next image which came up then come here, then I had to refresh this page before I could get a 'paste' option. I have saimilar probs on another board that uses this software. I have no probs on others.

Right, I'm going to try again.

21456307302_7c6a459a19_b.jpg

This time it worked and I did nowt different! That's my Grandad Driver Jack Whyman of the Royal Field Artillery aged 17. Pic is dated June 21st 1915. He won the MM later.

Col

Now then you Bulwell folk ...... we're on holiday at the moment and left our dog with a dog sitter in Broxtowe Estate. He escaped through an open garden gate around midnight on Tuesday. The lady has informed Police, RSPCA, dog wardens, got his pic on Dogs Lost but no joy yet. However there have been two possible sightings around Bulwell/Highbury Vale area today. He's never been to Broxtowe nor Bulwell before but maybe if it's him he is like a homing pigeon, heading back to Mapperley Park?

Please keep a look out for our little chap. He's a small Patterdale Terrier, black but going grey, nearly 9 years old, microchipped, docked tail. Looks a bit like 'Spit the Dog'. Really grateful, thanks

Not possible to upload from iPad, although I've never tried. Maybe Katyjay or Mick could as there are some on Facebook and they are FB mates.

Yes, I know ...... Broxtowe Estate ....... I'd never been there until we dropped him off on Monday. Good and bad folk everywhere though Catfan.

• Upvote 1

I'll scout around for you Lizzie, in walking to Bulwell tomorrow morning.