You're correct DJB. The birds were recordrd with their unique ring attatched to their leg (ringing) that showed that the "actual" bird was loaded on to the wagon & when all collected at various places they where released later.

They would be released at different places to offer a variety of races.

Not a pigeon fancier mesen but used to park the bus at the terminus & have a chat with the fanciers & wagon driver when they were parked there.

I'd much prefer watching the grass grow ! hellothere

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

Quite right. A senior moment on my part there! They definitely met in the Nelson to do strange things with clocks, but I have no idea where the birds were released.

Col

• 2 months later...

I will always champion the much maligned Bulwell,............this very morning i went in the open aired garden at the back of 'Wethers' for me cig after breakfast on returning inside and chewing the fat with an aquantance......a lady tapped me on the shoulder and handed me my jacket saying 'you left this outside mi-duck'...........it also contained my Wallet................

• Upvote 6

It is Loppy..................or it could just be they have alot to say for theesens................

• Upvote 2

I thought that I had seen it all in Bulwell until today.

Followed a woman with her two offspring in to Tesco's today & she had no shoes on ! Completely barefoot.

Skeg beach it is not.

• Upvote 1

Barefoot! Said to be common in Tennessee. I found some ants on the kitchen floor the other night. ( we are not scruffy, honest! )

I don't like ants any more than I like yellowjackets. So I gave 'em a shot of raid. Before I could say ants, Mrs Loppy walked in there in bare feet. Resulting in a nasty skid.:-). Well it wont my folt worrit? Anyway she was not amused. No more ants though. LOL.

• Upvote 1

Barefoot In the Park? The Barefoot Contessa?...Humphrey Bogart, I believe! Dad's favourite actor!

I never wear shoes indoors. All the ballet training I had resulted in rhino hide on the soles of my feet! Thankfully, there are no ants round here!

• Upvote 2

Jill, did you go to a ballet 'school' in Nottingham? I went to the 'Mavis Levy School of Dance' from 1950 until 1959 doing ballet, tap and 'Stage Branch'.

• Upvote 1

Margie, I was trained by Patricia James. The old feet in a bucket of surgical spirit trick...ouch!....toughened up the feet once Pointe training began! We were told we had to suffer for our art! Could probably walk on drawing pins now and not feel a thing!

• Upvote 1

We'd had the first heavy rain for two or three weeks a couple of days ago. I was told that makes ants very active and they will try to get inside. Especially if it is near a kitchen and they smell sugary smells.

But going on points too early (14 years old, if I remember correctly) has played havoc with my toe joints....

• 4 weeks later...

Noticed today that Gregg's the well known stockist of the "Bulwell Dummy" was closed. Shutters down, no sign of activity & this is at lunch time.

The pidgeons were lined up waiting anxiously for the left overs dropped or just discarded by chavs looked quite annoyed with nowt to eat.

• Upvote 1

Report in Nottingham Post today that Bulwell Town centre could get 'Conservation area' status to preserve its distinctive 'Character',reckon that's really good news.,it goes on say it will preserve its many buildings around the Market place,commercial and station road,plus the Bogs and the river Leen.

Also lots of nice comments about Bulwell in general,............fair warmed me 'cockles' it did.

The last time I went to Bulwell, a couple of years ago, I ended up driving down something .ca!led Bulwell High Road? I knew Bulwell quite well in the 70s and I don't remember that road. Where did it come from?

Is there anything left of old Bulwell to conserve? It didn't look like the same place I remembered but...to be fair...nowhere does these days!

Think the high road was put in to take the traffic off Main st,........and later Low rd was made from the old Lido towards the MI,so in the end High rd was not needed,...........but there is still much worth conserving in Bulwell town centre,when you look at old photos around Bulwell Market the majority of old buildings are still there,..............even the old Marsdens and Farrands............lol.

edit ,they did it when I was living down south and my back was turned in the 70s......lol.

I haven't been down the pedestrianised area that Main Street has now become but I did have a number of school friends who lived in Bulwell and remember the shops, Woolworths, Boots, Fords, Steggles, the Coop, the Post Office, etc. Much of it was flattened in the early 70s so I'm pleased to learn that some if it remains and we couldn't have em knocking down Marsden's or Farrands. On the contrary, these buildings should be marked by a blue plaque declaring "Benjamin1945 worked here!" How about it Nottingham City Council? :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

You worked at Bulwell Coop as well? I seem to remember that had a more modern appearance than its adjoining properties but it may have been altered at ground floor level, as was the TSB premises from what I've seen of much earlier photos of Main Street.

Yes Jill,as you say a more modern building,don't know when the old shop premises were demolished on that corner,i remember Rose's shoe shop many years ago there,............worked Marsdens and Farrands in the 60s and Savemore which was part of them and was next door to the 'King Billy' long demolished..........did the Co-op in the 90s

Ben, the Coop as I remember it wasn't on a corner. It was part of the row of shops further along Main Street on the same side as Ford's and the Trustee Savings Bank. I'm going back to the early 1970s now and I remember going shopping there with my friend whose parents owned Chambers the butcher's shop on Coventry Lane which has long since been demolished.

I can remember Rose the shoe shop on the corner and, thinking about it, my memories of Bulwell actually go back to around 1963 or 64 as my maternal grandparents and great grandparents were all buried in the northern cemetery and I remember going with my mother to put flowers on the grave there.  I seem to recall that we walked from the marketplace in Bulwell to the northern cemetery.

I still have friends who live in Bulwell and one of these days I shall have to make another trip so that they and I can have a wander around on foot and that way I'll be able to get a better idea of how much it has changed as it is really impossible to see much from the road these days.