Bradrail closed about a year ago, and was supposed to be reopening, but as of last week,.... Nothing's happened. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

Going back to the 'Co-op' .  It was definitely in the same building that is now the William Peveril, up to at least late 60s.. Maybe a bit longer, but as I effectively left about 1970 I can't be sure.

I also have a vague and fuzzy memory of the building from when it may have still been a cinema.  I vaguely recall a vertical blue neon type sign and for some reason the word 'Union', but that could be pure memory trick. If I'm not mistaken, the old Woollies was also a former theatre and I recall my old mate Melvin Starkey telling me that his dad took him to shows there when he was very small (That would be early 1950s)

When I was last in the William Peveril a few months back (In the excellent company of Bejamin..  ) I was looking at the shape of the place.  It has a classic theatre/cinema shape.  And if you look at the ceiling above the front of the building it is low, as if there is a 'mezzanine' type floor up there (Is that the right word?)  I don't know if they still access or use that space, but it is exactly where the upstairs 'Cafe' used to be when it was the Co-op. My Mum and late Sister used to go there every Saturday morning for the bulk of the week's shop and would also call into Hardy's Bakery for one of their excellent loaves, still warm..

I went in occasionally too. Cup of 'frothy coffee' and a rather anaemic looking sausage roll. What always struck me back then was that if you looked straight out of the upstairs windows you could see along Montague Street and over the whole 'Cantrell Rd area to the tall 'sand hopper' that used to be part of the sand quarry which was right next to Rigley's Wagon works a couple of miles away.

Col

• Upvote 1

Is Chadburns the same shop that is now called Chuddy's ? 

#654 Col. It has been mentioned by me or someone else, that the Bulwell Wetherspoons started life as the Palace Cinema.

• Upvote 1

Palace Theatre!  Excellent!  I was definitely a regular visitor to Bulwell as a small child and will have seen the Palace.  I was 6 in 1955. Dunno where I got 'union' from!  Wondering now about the old 'Woollies' opposite the Bogs.  Also a theatre I think.  Anyone know what it was called? 

Col

• Upvote 1

I'm intrigued by something mentioned in the link from taxi ray's post #662.

The Olympia Variety Theatre was finally closed on 12th July 1952, in its final years it presented mainly nude shows.

The idea of that in Bulwell in the early 1950s is mind-boggling.

3 hours ago, Enigma. said:

i think ian meant chadburns - they are still there but access to the shop is via bulwell high road now / coventry road 

Or up the alleyway side of Eyewear Opticians (Chadburns old shop).

Got me thinking: there was a 1st floor dance hall at the very end of Peacheys Street- just behind Moons.

Colin Cripps ran it before he went to the Admiral Duncan.

There were dances there ,twice a week...wonder if the Poly's appeared at the Peacheys st.venue?

Recall a big Vauxhall Cresta too.

11 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I'm intrigued by something mentioned in the link from taxi ray's post #662.

The Olympia Variety Theatre was finally closed on 12th July 1952, in its final years it presented mainly nude shows.

The idea of that in Bulwell in the early 1950s is mind-boggling.

Yep. That had me wondering too.  What was my mate Mel's Dad thinking?

Col

Enigma # 658.

Looking at the chap in the wheelchair on the right.  It's not too clear but Ithere are no obvious front wheels on it.  There used to be an old chap who had a peculiar machine which was driven by a set of hand pedals which drove a single front wheel via a chain.  Wonder if thats him?

Something like this but much older and clunkier.  And all black.

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/426293920952132672/

Col

Talking of Bulwell and Wheelchairs......read in the Nottingham Post today.......that a contestant on ex Factor Cori Burns who was in a wheelchair........lived in Bulwell for 30 years.......WOW.......we really are on the map now....and just as an aside they said she loved a 'Cockatooter'..............lol.

• Upvote 1

Sorry Ben.  You're going to have to enlighten me..  'Cockatooter'  ?

Also on a Bulwell theme, there was a question about Booker Prize winners on 'Pointless' the other day.

I got a pointless answer.  Stanley Middleton for 'Holiday'  .Stan was born in Bulwell, played organ locally and was a pupil then an English teacher at High Pavement in addition to knocking out about 40 novels.

Col

Cockatooter  Scooter.............she also liked her Parrot.........but preferred a Cockatoo............sorry Col. just my silly sense of humour............lol.

• Upvote 1