Just looked at that streetview of Bulwell and noticed a building called Stevenson House. My pal Mick Stevenson used to live just about there in the 40's 50's, Just wondering if there is a connection? He now lives in Brittany and we meet up quite often. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

My good Bulwell mate Catfan is living in the wrong house!

According to my investigations, Wollaton Hall was originally owned and sold by the Willoughby family.The 3rd generation of this family- deemed Willoughby far less dull than there original name - which was Bugge.

They thought this was less aristocratic... but Bugge means..Hobgoblin!!

Time for a move Mick??

The owners of Wollaton Hall were the Willoughby family (Lord and Lady Middleton). Like a lot of the landed gentry, they had more than one country residence, but they continued to live in Wollaton Hall part-time until they sold the place to Nottingham Corporation in 1925. So they still had a number of servants and gardeners and other staff working there right up until the sell-off. 

2 hours ago, catfan said:

Nah Ian, couldn't possibly contemplate leaving the "People's Republic of Bulwell" !

No matter what the temptation !

Catfan when visiting Nottingham we went all touristy and visited Bulwell, it was a nice day as we walked around noticed babies with the bulwell dummy and the amount of young mothers with a multitude of children, Probably not noticed if I had not read comments on Nostagia.   Oh by the way the daft dog fell in the Leen  happy days.

• Upvote 2

Good Lord, get the dog injected immediately. 

• Upvote 2

#686/7

Thanks both. There is probably some truth in the rumour although I doubt she was a lady's maid. Under house parlour maid or scullery maid is more likely. However, she acquired her airs and graces from somewhere and it was always assumed in my family that it was her time at Wollaton Hall. Another relative, admittedly one with an axe to grind, told me the woman concerned was dismissed for stealing! You can't choose whom your relatives marry! :blink:

This is getting to be a common site in Bulwell nowadays, walking through the market place this morning Greggs had the usual queue of "parents" with screaming kids waiting in line to buy their "Bulwell Dummies".  Lower down outside B&M where two women leaning on the wall having a fag & a natter.

One dressed in slippers & her nightdress ! smile2

She'd probably just left 'work',you never know! 

• 4 weeks later...

Well Alf Tupper trained on fish and chips..he uses Gregg's!

Y'know i left Bulwell in 1990 and it was a straight talking and no nonsense area...if in my day some fool was seen in a pair of pj's midday...

Slap nut on!!

I've only seen David Beckham once, on Parkinson years ago. Initially, I thought he was putting on an act and pretending to be a post frontal lobotomy patient, gifted with an IQ preceded by a minus symbol and in urgent need of a personality transplant. After 5 minutes, I realised he wasn't faking.

Who, with all their marbles at home, would want to emulate that?  :mellow:

• Upvote 2

It's high time for a mass cull of the stupid, the thick, the oafish, the chavs, the impressionable, the ignorant, the rude, the gobby, the bullies, the loutish, and the downright daft. No kidding !

• Upvote 1