Keep em coming Rog.......my maternal grandparents lived on Albert st. before the war,and raised my Mam and all her bros and sisters there, mind you they also lived on adjacent streets Lamartine ,Northcote and Oxford,..........plus i worked in the Oxford pub about 1967 for a few months 4/- per hour and we had to mop the floor after closing including the Blood Room..............

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

I went to Albert Street infants and junior schools in 1947 to 1953, went to the Highbury cinema and was dragged down to the market. I lived on Henrietta Street the other side of Highbury Road.

The coal wagons were from more than Hucknall colliery, the line served Bestwood, Hucknall, Linby, Annesley, Newstead and many more including Calverton when it opened in the 1950's. The passenger trains were going to Mansfield and Worksop.

• Upvote 2

My Grandfather (who we called Grandpa) garden was quite a long plot of land,or it seemed it at the time,the first part about 12ft square was at the side of the toilet no inside toilets in them days,that consisted of a toilet pan attached to a lead pipe leading to a cast iron cistern,coming from that was a chain with a small cast iron handle on that you had to pull quite a few times to get the bloody thing to flush (probably the leather seal was knackered) anyroad to get back to the garden,I remember the soil being black,perhaps full of soot from the coal fire,in that he grew all sorts of veg and salad stuff,the other side of the fence was a long section of the garden leading as far down as a Bulwell stone wall,quite high if I remember that backed onto Deptford st,my Aunt lived the other side of that wall and you could get to her back garden via a set of ladders up the wall,Grandpa kept chickens and some of them had the run of that part of the garden,the rest of the chickens were in the battery house,which was not operated by a load of Ever Ready cells like I used to think,to keep these fowls warm or whatever grandpa had straw bails,on a particular Saturday he had a small garden fire to burn the usual garden waste that could'nt be dug in,just a small fire until that was me and my cousin Colin decided it would be a good idea to help Grandpa by keeping his fire going,so we pulled at the straw bail and kept the fire alive,by about tea time the fire was dying down because we had ran out of straw,the whole bail had gone up in smoke,he was not a happy bunny I can tell you,

I'll keep thinking of what else we got upto

Rog

• Upvote 3

That stretch of Highbury Vale/Highbury road which i drive along most days brings back so many memories,starting at St Marys church where i was Christened............Highbury pub.........Grandads local..........Former Albert st area now all redeveloped Mams family origins,.....the Coop ex picture house worked there,..Oxford pub worked there in the old stone building,Piccadilly snooker club,Bus depot Dad worked there,Highbury Hospital Mam worked there,Highbury ave first house i nearly bought,Oakleigh Lodge family gathering place for many years,Grandad was a founding member,Saxondale drive home of Grandma and Grandad in my growing up years,Basford North station trainspotting and catching the train to Victoria for a Penny............won't go on any more cos i think we now in Old Basford and the next bit to Basford crossings bring back more memories...............

• Upvote 3

Although I no longer live in Nottingham,like you Ben when I drive through the places I grew up in all the memories come flooding back,The last time I was down the Meadows area I stood on Holgate road looking towards the old prefab buildings what was the old Colligate school,my first ever school which i manged to escape from on my first day there,then the Bulwell connection where I was dragged kicking and screaming along the vale towards the Market of a Saturday morning,(drove along there on new years day on me way back from Matlock) although we are talking over 50 years ago I can remember most of it like it was yesterday

Rog

• Upvote 1

#735 & 736

I was also christened at St Marys, Mam and Dad were married there as were most of his family. I remember when I was at Collygate, be about six, I got the day off to go to my uncle's wedding at St Marys, reception at the Highbury.

Last memory of Collygate not good. I went past there on Wilford Grove last year on my motorbike. A dozy twat decided to pull out of his parking space without looking and knocked me off!

Across the railway lines at the bottom of Albert st was some allotments,nicely kept, and there always seemed to be someone on there digging,raking whatever allotmenteers get upto,well one Saturday there was this bloke tending his plot when we started to shout after him from the safety of the railway lines,after about half an hour of abuse from me and my cousin he started to get a bit tetchy and shout and swear back at us,well to kids that sort of gives you a licence to really "go for it" every time he turned around we would give him some abuse,not bad language or stuff like that just general pi$$ taking,anyroadup we got fed up with that after a time and got some more train spotting done or other kids games,later on just as we were about to take a walk back to my grans I caught for a gudun under the earhole,it was that bloke from the allotments,bleddy hell it dint half come keen,would'nt dare tell me mam or dad else there would have been another one coming my way,just put it down top experience I suppose,uh kids eh?

Rog

• Upvote 3

On reaching the bottom of Albert st there was a wooden fence keeping you from the railway lines,you had to turn right and walk along the footpath to the concrete bridge that crossed the lines,by following the footpath the otherside of the bridge you could go to the right and onto Bulwell and the Bogs,if you turned to the left it would take you to the allotments and a muck path alongside the river,this is the footpath I used to take to go fishing in the Lean,just under the rail bridge (I think that line went to Babbington pit) you came into what looked like to our young eyes a different world,wild hedge rows,wild birds,peace and quiet,lovely spot for catching roach in the river yet only a few yards from the terraced houses and roads,as for the Bogs,well in summer we would make our way there for a paddle in the river, not the purpose made paddling pool,for some reason the river was for the more adventurous and challenging than the pool,the pool was for "kids",Innocent days eh?

Rog

• Upvote 1

My Grans house on Albert street was a sort of two up two down affair I think,we were never allowed upstairs,there was the front room with a heavy curtain hanging down seperating the backroom from the front room as well as a door , it was probably there to keep the draughts out,Looking back I suppose that was only used for funerals,weddings and royalty,I dunno,the back room that we always sat in on our Saturday visits was cozy enough with a coal fire on the opposite wall to the back door which was down a small alleyway,(on the left was the back door for the neighbour)   a little way along from getting through the back door was the kitchen,a rather small affair with a Belfast sink on the left with a curtain hanging from the bottom, i suppose that was to hide the cleaning stuff that was kept under the sink,Vim scouring powder,Lux soap flakes and fire lighters,(aint it funny the things that stick in your mind?)opposite the sink was shelving with all sort of stuff on,tins of cocoa,blue bags with sugar in,packets of tea,(no teabags then) butter was always kept in a covered dish on a stone slab,at the side of the sink was a gas stove with a plate rack above to keep the plates warm,I seem to remember the cooker and all the other bit's that made up the kitchen area was spotless,part of a clean regime I suppose. At the end of the kitchen was the scullery,(there's a word you don't hear very often) down one stone step to get in there,no door seperated the kitchen from the scullery,I think that housed a gas fired wash tub (copper) that was fed with gas from a red rubber tube that was pressed onto a gas outlet near the cooker,at the side of that was  a ponch and wooden scrubbing board,I suppose that only came out on Mondays,the official wash day,If I think of any more useless information I will post on here,Some memories of my paternal grandparents who lived on Wilford grove down the Meadows are coming back to me so when I get it right in me head I will post them in the Meadows threads

Rog

• Upvote 5

What a lot of detail you are remembering, Rog.  Really enjoy reading it - I've now got a picture in my head of what it was like in your gran's house...

• Upvote 1

Rog, the house sounds similar to the one where my maternal great grandparents lived at 24 Suez Street in the Little Egypt area of Old Basford. After residing in Preston Terrace in The Meadows, Manning Street, Eland Street and Liddington Street, they moved into number 24 Suez Street around 1905, remaining there until their deaths in 1942 and 1945.

They passed on before I was born but their unmarried daughter, my great aunt Minnie Cordelia, lived in the house until 1962 when she died and I remember being taken there in my pushchair.

Like Rog, I never went upstairs. There was no bathroom and the loo was outside. There were 2 bedrooms on the first floor and a third in the attic.  My mother had visited the house since her childhood and told me there was an ornate four poster bed in her grandparents' room. How they got that up the twisty stairs, goodness knows and I'd love to know what became of it!  Again, the front parlour was rarely used and smelled musty to me. If I close my eyes, I can still see the place clearly although I was only 4 years old when I last visited.

Some of the original houses in Suez Street have survived but number 24 is not among them, sadly. My mother often spoke of it and the happy memories of times she spent there.

• Upvote 1

Great memories Jill,glad you enjoy reading my memories Margie,

My uncle and aunt lived on Egypt road back in the 50's/60's and the house layout was similar to my grans,I remember in their front room was an old Singer sewing machine,the treddle type,I can also remember playing on this thing,pedaling like there was no tomorrow until the shuttle assembly flew apart,(if you are reading this uncle Dennis/aunt Marge I am sorry for the damage,in the back room of their house they had some sort of tall cabinet with two cupboard doors in the bottom that held plates and other cooking utensils,in the top were two more doors and these had two small plastic/bakerlite perforated discs in to allow air flow (once again the things you remember) I think they were for keeping food in but not sure, always looked forward to visiting Dennis and Marge they were a lovely laid back couple and their kids,my cousins were great too martin,Gail and Andrew.

Rog

• Upvote 2

It's strange, as Rog says, how these early memories remain with you, very clearly.

I can recall the downstairs furniture at 24 Suez Street. My maternal great grandmother came from a fairly well to do farming family but was disowned when she insisted on marrying the farm hand, my great grandfather, even though he came from even wealthier stock than she did, albeit his family had fallen on hard times.  Hence they lived in the terraced 24 Suez Street, very happily, with their 4 children.

I heard my mother talk about an oil painting of great aunt Minnie Cordelia which hung in the front parlour over the fireplace. No one else in the family appeared to have seen it. It was painted when Minnie was a child. My mother said much of the furniture was a bit grand for such a house but may have been passed down to great grandma after the deaths of her parents. It's easy to locate data such as census returns, birth, marriage and death certificates but the really informative stuff boils down to family gossip which, as far as that generation was concerned, had to be kept well away from the prying eyes and ears of younger folks, for example, my mum, although it was surprising how much she did know!

Most of my questions will never be answered. Very, very irritating!:mellow:

• Upvote 1

Jill #475. I hate to put you right but Suez street was/is in New Basford.

As to Minnie I think I new her, not well you understand we were just kids I would be just 15 when she died. If I am right she lived on the right hand side of Suez street going down hill. There used to be a paper shop on the corner of Egypt Road and Suez Street and she lived a few doors below it.

I lived just round the corner on Rosetta Road, again two up two down Victorian terrace, tin bath and outside loo, front room for Christmas and special occasions only. One of my abiding memories is the smell of paraffin from the lamp in the outside loo.

• Upvote 1

You're no doubt correct, NBL. I'm never sure where the boundary line is. Yes, there was a newsagent near to the house I believe. Minnie's surname was Ward and she lived there alone after 1945. I remember her quite well. As children, my sister and I rather unkindly called her 'Minniemobs' as she was regarded as a bit on the slow side, unlike her sister, my grandmother. She was a very kind lady and when I was a baby, gave me a teddy bear which I still have.

Interesting point there Jill about boundary lines,......Bulwell..Old Basford....New Basford.............have always assumed coming out of Bulwell along Highbury Vale it goes like this,

Bulwell to Northern Bridge Bulwell

Northern Bridge to Valley road...Old Basford

Valley road onwards New Basford..........or am i just boring..............lol.

• Upvote 2

Always been interested in boundary/border lines........local..National and worldwide.........so where does New Basford become Hyson Green and Forest Fields..........?