There used to be a working mens club or some sort of club at the top of Albert street,can't remember what it was called though,I remember me dad and uncle Dennis going there odd Saturday afternoon to have a game of snooker,I went on occasions but can't ever remember seeing anyone else in there,this would be in the 60's

Rog

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

The only place i can think of Rog was the 'Piccadilly snooker club' actually on Piccadilly across the road next to the Bus Depot,went there alot in the late 50s think it closed mid 60s...................

• Upvote 1

Thats the one CT,I remember the Piccadilly snooker club Ben,got dragged passed there a few times on our way to an aunts,I'll have to have good think about the name of the place,I know as you went through the door on Albert street to the right was some sort of lounge with tables set out with beermats on them because I stole a couple (beermats that was not tables) and to the left was the snooker room,if I remember right there was just the one snooker table and a small counter or bar,I would only be about 8 so 57 years ago.

Rog

The workmans club on Albert Street in the early 60s would have occasionally have a local band play there called the Paladins who would play Shadows style guitar music,they were really good.

• Upvote 3

I remember the sweet factory, I believe they made "Mint Imperials" among other things, on Imperial Road, coincidence?

It looks to be a good conversion into flats, the bulwell stone walls being repaired and retained, the old cast road names and the old cast hydrant signs also there.

A reminder of my childhood having lived on Henrietta Street 1942 to 1966 and Bannerman Road 1968 to 1971.

Another bit of Bulwell closing down, Yorkshire bank goes in early June! My Wifes account is being moved to Smithy Row, Nottingham , she,s always said  how friendly the Bulwell Staff are but then that's Bulwell, innit!

• Upvote 1

and a 'new' bit of Bulwell going up! The site of the Lord Nelson has been cleared once again with 17 bungalows planned for Nottm City Council?

Every Saturday, if we were early enough at my Grans house I got dragged to Bulwell market from Albert street,I know it's not far but when you are a lazy 6/7 year old it might well have been the other side of the world,on reaching the railway bridge outside the hall the trolley buses used to park ther reaching their terminus,I always remember the drivers climbing down from their cabs with a wedge of wood on a bit of string and putting it under the front wheel of the bus,perhaps the park brakes weren't much good in them days,the buses were parked on the sloping road going down the railway bridge,the point to this story is,being dragged screaming and protesting at the walk to the market,(which was on the traffic island or an area set aside in the middle of the road),yet after getting back to my Grans place me and my cousins would head of to the picture house near the bottom of St Albans road (was it Carey road) and Hucknall lane with no protesting about a much further walk and probably running all the way back to Grans after the films had finished with our gaberdine raincoats tied around our necks and slapping our bottoms as we galloped along Highbury vale pretending to be riding a horse like our hero's did in the films,boring I know but it's one of me memories of Bulwell

Rog

• Upvote 3

Did you fasten your Gaberdine coat round your neck like some sort of cloak similar to what Zoro wore,though I don't think Zoro had a Gaberdine

Rog

#Rog 768..............great description of that walk from Albert st to Adelphi on corner of Carey rd............nearly met my end( one of a few) on that sloping bit outside the town Hall..........Ice covered in 1963 came off me Scooter there one night and all i remember was a Trolley Bus coming down behind me 'sideways'........got rid of my scooter soon after...............

• Upvote 1

Ben, was that the scooter I sat on at Chapel St Leonard's the previous year?  

Or was it one that you just scooted with your foot?  (Tried to put emojis on for illustration purposes but it says I'm not allowed to!)

• Upvote 1

The one thing I remember about the slope down into Bulwell market happened in the 60s.

Two gas board employees were working in a 'grip' doing underground repairs when they heard a shout along the lines of 'stop thief'. Standing up in the trench they saw a man running towards them up the road from the market, he had stolen a woman's handbag and other men were in pursuit. Without hesitation one of the guys picked up his 'grafter' a thin bladed shovel and being low down whacked the runaway across the knees as he tried to pass.

Needless to say the thief waited quietly for the police...............

• Upvote 2

Sat on Bulwell Bogs this morning and had a quiet contemplation of what I could see and the memories they conjured up.........the old Town Hall,got a photo of my Dad sat on the steps from the 30s,....St.Marys church where I was Christened and was a Paige-boy dressed in White silk shirt and trousers that Mam had made herself (I was about 8)..............then in the corner where the 'Blue brick' bridge ends were the old Gents toilets long gone.........then looking at the River just recall rolling into it in my pushchair,then later fishing with a net and skating in me wellies,and the names of my old school-mates came running back...not forgetting the old iron bridge that seems to have been there forever.

Still from the same spot could see the building that was Marsdens and memories of some of the staff.....Mr Pinder,June,Kathy and Christine,..............could also see what was the'Penguin café with its threpenny bit Juke-box........and obviously the Market still busy as it was when an Island.........and me Mam,Grandma's and Aunts used to shop on there...........then had a couple of 'Bump into's'...............Lad I worked at Marsdens with,well I say a lad he's 69 now.........no sign of the Catfans..........but did bump into our own Dave 48

Can't beat a bit of 'Waxing Lyrical' can you.....................

• Upvote 9