When I worked at Gerards there was a little old fella there named Fred Radford who was a QC sample collector. His wife ran a wool shop somewhere in Bulwell. Does this strike anyone as familiar?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

IAN 123 

When you get near Shippo's on the tram you see a tall chimmey did this use to belong to "Gerrard's" and if so do you know why it's still standing?

My time at Gerard's was 1974 - 1978. A bit before yours, Ian. IL was made at Kersal Vale. Gerard's toilet soap production was confined to government contract (known as EIIR) and supermarket own brands.

I worked as the development chemist for industrial products (which were made in a separate unit on the left as you faced the buildings). My laboratory was a small isolated building nestled amongst the fat and caustic tanks.

Did'nt Gerards make ''Electrozones and Nobs of Blue ,,anyone remember them  ?

In the 60s Jonab, they were very popular...not sure exactly what what they were for,,something to do with washing clothes,,Electrozones were in a blue packet about a 1/- and 'Nobs of blue' 6d......small round things with a Nob on...............lol.

Also anyone remember ''Chloros''  Bleach ?....came in a glasss bottle about 1/6...........thought that was a Gerrards product too.......

Before my time then!

Can't remember any references to anything like you describe.

The only blue things that I'm aware of is Blue Bags (Dolly Bags) these had a small wooden "handle" to enable swishing about in the water to colour it blue which in turn tinted whatever was in the water - often net curtains. These were made by Reckitts in Hull.

Having just written that, I'm reminded of a Gerard product called "Swish" which was a solid block of detergent in a plastic cage with a handle. This thing was swished about in the washing up water which was then used to wash the pots. I think it was marketed in competition to the new dishwashing liquids like Squezy and Fairy Liquid but it didn't catch on.

Chloros bleach was made by ICI and I think it was repackaged from bulk deliveries for a time by Gerard's I remember a rubber lined (bleach resistant) storage tank there.

• Like 1

I seem to remember Electrozone was a small packet of powder that was used in addition to detergent and supposedly  enhanced 'whiteness'

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thats it Dolly bags'.........and yes made by 'Reckitts''.........think called Nobs of blue locally...................

Hmm maybe I remember the name wrong but there was an 'electo' something or other fabric brightner. 

We had 'dolly blue' but no idea of its purpose

Dolly blue bags were also recommended for bee stings. Most households had blue bags for washing and, presumably, the alkaline nature of the dolly bag counteracts the bee venom. Never tried it but lots did.

Dolly blue bags...Mam used to dip one into a bowl of water to make it look like the sea for when I played at boats with matchboxes. I'd be about 3/5 y/o then and one of my first vivid memories.

• Like 1

Chilling today after enduring a 5am get up yesterday when doing the Hucknall Lane car boot. I was under blazing sun for several hours, and trying to comprehend Urdu, Serbo Croat, Swahili, and many other languages from east of Skeggy. I did understand some Aspleh when two relatives were effing and blinding at the bacon butty van. 

However, what pleased me greatly, was when a youngish couple with a toddler in a pushchair bought two of my old T shirts. One green, and the other brown. As they were departing, the woman said to the child, 'That should be enough to make you a Robin Hood outfit'.

I was so chuffed that someone can still think for themselves and make something the little boy will treasure, rather than her buy some cheap foreign tat from the local supermarket. Well done young lady !

• Like 6

It was you was it fly,massive Q going in there when on me to work,,busy car boot that

• Upvote 1

Busiest I've ever seen it Ben. Several others were cancelled due to waterlogged fields. They even opened up the adjacent field next to the estate, to get them all in ! All the leftovers, I've donated to the Red Cross charity shop on Highbury Rd this morning  so I don't have to do another car boot.

• Like 1

On the East Midlands News this evening, there was an article regarding an attempted record for the most people dressing up as Robin Hood. I don't know what the outcome was, but I wonder if that child was amongst them in my carved up T shirts. 

• Like 2

Name that road is it Commercial road

Quarry  lane

Starr lane

Or has it been all 3.

• Like 1

Robinsons Hill disappeared when they built the High Road, the date I don't have a clue, its just one of the many things that have changed but I cannot remember when. 

I think the timeline for Commercial road was Starr lane then Quarry road and finally Commercial road, why the changes? I don't have a clue ,so I hope someone can help.

Finally on Robinsons hill who was Robinson and who went into the institute on there , usually heard as " are yer going up stute"

• Like 2

IAN 123 on facebook Bulwell Bygones page there has just been posted "then and now" photos of Commercial road and Robbinsons Hill.  Also there is a photo album headed  Commercial Road / Quarry Road / Star Lane @ Bulwell on the same page, looks to be loads of old photos that may interest you and others who have an interest in Bulwell.

• Like 3
On 5/9/2018 at 7:36 AM, trogg said:

Name that road is it Commercial road

Quarry  lane

Starr lane

Or has it been all 3.

There is reason to believe that in remote days before our time a toll gate stretched across the entrance to what is now Commercial Road, previously known as Quarry Road, and before that Starr Lane—why "Starr" I do not know. On the left-hand corner, near the market, Walker's blacksmith's shop stood back some distance, and collected there for repair were all sorts of farming implements. On a dark night, when they were sharpening colliers' picks for the next day's toil, the glow of the furnace piercing the surrounding darkness, the brawny blacksmith in the firelight hammering the red-hot iron and making the sparks fly in all directions, made pictures in light and shade in my young mind which I shall never forget.

Taken from this.

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/monographs/bulwell1946/bullwell5.htm

• Like 2

My dad did signwriting for a Fred Starr in Bulwell. He had a coachbuilding business. Same spelling as the road. 

• Like 3