8 hours ago, philmayfield said:

That picture brings back memories. To get to Mellish in the 50’s we took the train from Daybrook station to Basford North. On some mornings, instead of going directly through the estate to Kersall Drive, we would go on what was known as the ‘Cutler Way’. We took a path alongside the railway which came out, up some steps, on Park Lane. Towards St. Albans Rd. we could observe the railway line and watch the Master Cutler come from under the bridge on its way to Victoria Station. From there it was a walk down Kersall Drive to arrive at school just as the bell was rung.

Yep.  I remember that path.  It ran from the bottom of the  Bulwell side of the embankment on which Basford North stood, on Highbury Vale just across from Northern baths.  There was an old WW2 Pill Box there at the base of the embankment.  The path then ran up alongside the railway and the platform of the station and then followed the curve of the line towards Bulwell Common, behind Saxondale Drive and Brayton Crs.,  but emerging onto Brooklyn Rd. From there a quick right and left onto Park Lane, which would take you up to Kersall Drive.  We used that route to walk down to Northern Baths, and the presence of railway lines, steam engines and the rest was, to us, just a normal part of what made life interesting. 

I recall one day we watched from that path as a train pulled in at Basford North heading to Nottm.  We'd probably been for an early swim at Northern Baths.  A young girl was trying to get off, but was struggling with the leather strap which, IIRC, you used to lower the window so you could access the outside door handle.  Eitherway, she failed and despite us trying to attract the attention of platform staff, the train left with her still on board. ..

In the 50+ years since, I've occasionally wondered what happened, but I'm sure she will have been rescued somehow.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

6 hours ago, trogg said:
  • Looking at the photo of Cliff tons  on the railway embankment running along Hucknall road you can see only a few trees growing , I always remember it with loads of trees, then look at the google link provided by DJ360 you can see how nature has taken over. With the rail lines gone in the 60s wild life must have also taken over , it looks a good place to explore again.

Trogg, it's certainly worth a walk, if you can put up with the incessant 'ding ding' 'excuse me', from cyclists.  The bit around to where it crosses Moor Rd near Bestwood Colliery is nice.  There are certainly many more trees on the side of Boowul Common.  Mostly Birch.  There were none at all at that end of the Common when we were kids.  There were always trees along the Leen Valley Line, but I suppose the lack of trains has let them grow a bit.  I must have a look to see if any of my old favourite trees are still there...

• Like 1

There was also a guy called James(Jimmy) Barr who worked A2Bs board as well as driving.Nev Huckerbys girlfriend also worked it ,I did a bit of board work at Bar Lane . Jimmy Corbett was Scottish and lived up Top Valley .They bought a place at Nutthall -think it was going to be a redidential home

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 1:36 AM, DJ360 said:

Yep.  I remember that path.  It ran from the bottom of the  Bulwell side of the embankment on which Basford North stood, on Highbury Vale just across from Northern baths.  There was an old WW2 Pill Box there at the base of the embankment.  The path then ran up alongside the railway and the platform of the station and then followed the curve of the line towards Bulwell Common, behind Saxondale Drive and Brayton Crs.,  but emerging onto Brooklyn Rd. From there a quick right and left onto Park Lane, which would take you up to Kersall Drive.  We used that route to walk down to Northern Baths, and the presence of railway lines, steam engines and the rest was, to us, just a normal part of what made life interesting. 

I recall one day we watched from that path as a train pulled in at Basford North heading to Nottm.  We'd probably been for an early swim at Northern Baths.  A young girl was trying to get off, but was struggling with the leather strap which, IIRC, you used to lower the window so you could access the outside door handle.  Eitherway, she failed and despite us trying to attract the attention of platform staff, the train left with her still on board. ..

In the 50+ years since, I've occasionally wondered what happened, but I'm sure she will have been rescued somehow.

I am at my big brother's house at the moment and he was talking about  Henry Mellish and some teachers he remembered.  He was at Henry Mellish from 47 to 53

TE Smith (TESS) Deputy Head - Geography

Laurence Bampton / English.Drama

Llewellyn (wife also taught there - everyone addressed her as Sir

P C Croft (Percy) / Physics - Young chap / friendly

Pablo / Chemistry Mexican moustache

Curly Hobson  - PE / Bald as a coot

Hewitt / Latin Nasty BUG.*** Naval CCF Broke a chair and threatened someone with it

Burnham / Latin

Froggy Marshall / Head of French

Sparrow / Student  Teacher / English  Funny Voice - much mimicked

Frank E Clarke / Maths

Jones (Mona) / French / Music

Bob McCandless ***** Science

Hutchinson (Hutch) / Geography / CO of Airforce CCF

George Goodall (GEG) Maths / Frightening Sadist - When your homework was wrong he would say "Take it to Mr Tom Sanderson" (Tom Sanderson was a Nottingham Tripe Merchant)  Always announced homework by saying

"For your evenings meditation"

Swaby (Maths)

IKR Stamper / English, Rowing Coach

Evans (Art)

Do any of you  remember any of above

• Like 2

I started around 54/55. TE Smith was deputy head and stood to the left of the stage as you faced it in morning assembly.

Pablo Atkins was chemistry master and took rowing. He died a few months ago aged 101.

Ernie Burnham took me for Latin. He was also a selector for Notts C.C.

Froggy Marshall - never had him but he became deputy head when TES retired.

David Sparrow, physics, was my form master in 1a. The only man who could eat a banana sideways!

Frank Clarke. Maths. Very unpleasant man. Ex RAF officer.

Moaner Jones. Had him for French.

Bob McCandles, physics. Nice man. Strict Methodist.

Pig Hutchinson. Another unpleasant ex RAF officer. Ran the CCF.

Goodall had just retired but his name lived on !

Charlie Evans, art. Nice guy. Ex Lancaster pilot. Got me through O level art which I still brag about to this day. (I do have others!)

Those I’ve missed out were not there at my time.

Hope this helps Margie. Best wishes to your brother. He must have had a good education!

• Like 1

Good list of teachers there to bring memories back to Mellish Old Boys, including Loppy’s father-in-law.

Margie, the last two names mentioned must have gone to greener pastures at that much better Grammar School in Gedling where we spent happy years! 

Ike Stamper was head of English 

Mr Swaby was head of Maths (I think) 

Both were certainly already at  Carlton-Le-Willows when I started there in 1961. 

Margie, the two teachers I’ve mentioned above are on the school FB photo of the original teachers.  Both on top row, Mr Swaby  is 3rd from right, Ike Stamper 6th from right.  

• Like 1

Lizzie, Mr Swaby and.Mr Stamper both came to CLW when it opened in 1954.  They sometimes used  to ask me how my brother was getting on and seemed really interested ....

I logged into NS on my bro's laptop and he typed in the teacher's names as it made more sense than his dictating them to me (and I can't see standard keyboards very well - I'm better with a backlit iPad)

Phil and Col,  he was really interested to read your posts about the area around the railway as he came to school on the train from Daybrook and remembered the way he walked to school from the station, too.  

Phil, he was also reminiscing about the school sixth form cap which was black and yellow stripes and the prefects' caps which had a tassel on!   He said the school dinners were atrocious, cost 2s/1d per week and you had to walk through the kitchen to get to the dining room.  The tuck shop accepted sweet coupons, as rationing was still in place in his time at the school.  He also did rowing with the school..

Happy birthday Sue x.   When we went in the cat cafe, there was a tiny cat who was very determined to try and grab my food

• 1 month later...

What a building..........and what memories i have of the place......first Snog with Christine.......first X film.......first place banned from...........even remember the lady who took your money at front desk.........Mrs Richards ,wife of my first Marsdens manager Ike Richards,,Andover road,, 1960,,,

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
6 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Looking towards The Golden Ball.St.Albans Road is on the right.

.21688121-682061038659933-593645296059028

Great photo, it reminds me of my youth, the train is going over the footpath from Bulwell Common, which went over railway lines and under a tunnel and through the Kissing Gates onto St Albans Road. Nowadays it would be deemed unsafe and they would spend millions of pounds building an unsightly bridge to protect us, how did we survive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, trogg said:

.21688121-682061038659933-593645296059028

Great photo, it reminds me of my youth, the train is going over the footpath from Bulwell Common, which went over railway lines and under a tunnel and through the Kissing Gates onto St Albans Road. Nowadays it would be deemed unsafe and they would spend millions of pounds building an unsightly bridge to protect us, how did we survive.

I knew Bulwell Common well. It was on the Mellish cross country course. Up Kersall Drive, down  St. Albans,  over the common, down Hucknall Rd. to the bridge, along the footpath parallel to the railway, under the bridge, along Bestwood Rd. up St. Albans, down Piccadilly, along Jesmond Rd. Kersall Drive and back home. The longer senior course entailed going under that Hucknall Rd. Bridge, round the then farmland, back under the bridge and onto the common as before. Done that so many times. We also used the tennis courts by the clubhouse in the sixth from.