• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

Following on from Ben's post yesterday regarding the new barber shop in the town since the Salvation Army pulled out, they reckoned they couldn't make the cafe pay it's way, the rent was about £300 pw plus overheads & if this barber is charging £9 a go he certainly has to cut some hair !

mNYEy3j8jcqziO3ylAgOOKfa_1E8lUQbA-oNyvcj

Don't reckon much to the hand painted shop sign. Lowers the tone of the neighbourhood !

• Like 3

Premises far too big for a Barber,, £300 rent plus rates,,electric and Gas,,, that must be about 50 haircuts just to pay his overheads,,,can't see it lasting long,,its not as if Bulwell is short of Barber shops.

Edit,, it would make a good Marsdens or Farrands,, get a bit of service back in the place,,,

Good morning Madam,, Qtr of Cooked Ham ?  certainly,, thank you 2/6 please,,...........lol

• Like 2
1 hour ago, catfan said:

Don't reckon much to the hand painted shop sign. Lowers the tone of the neighbourhood !

Got the spelling right though, so there's a bonus

Rog

• Like 1

Might be a success,, i was told this morning its going to be a Coffee shop as well,,,,seems a good idea,,,when i've been in some Arabic parts of southern Spain thats what they seemed to do,,,went in a place in Cartegena,,,(sp) the men just met there in the morning,,,some having 'Beard trims/haircuts others just chatted over a 'Smoke and Coffee'.........really nice i thought,,,don't know whether it would go down well in Bulwell though,,,

Hi Ian, Apologies for this tardy response, am still catching up and have only just read your posting of May 7 2018, regarding Gerards. I left Nottingham to be the Soap Room Manager at Cussons in Manchester and readily recognise the goings-on you described. Believe me when I tell you I have experienced everything from having my privates grabbed by a lady passing by as I spoke to the MD to false teeth coming down the packing belt. All designed to test my patience and good humor.The secret was never afford the ladies the pleasure of an over reaction.I spent 13 very happy years at Cussons terminating when all the Soap making equipment, including Plodders were sent down to Gerards. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I think Ben missed his vocation. He might have enjoyed Gerard's.  :rolleyes:

From what I remember of the soap finishing room at Gerard's, evolution had passed by and forgotten a lot of the employees in there.

When a large group of women work together it can be dangerous for us men.  In 1970 I worked part time for a rag trade factory just off Alfreton Road near Canning Circus, for two weeks ,as much as I wanted the extra money, I couldn't cope for longer. My job was to take work to outdoor workers most of the time, the company had about 60 employees , the owner an elderly man, a middle aged Irish man who no one could understand , myself an innocent 20 year old and the rest women.  I admit I finished after 2 weeks a quivering wreck, most of the time I was out and about in the van, after the first day I tried to time things so I didn't have to go into the canteen, alas sometimes I failed.

To enter the torture chamber you took your life in your own hands, that's when your hands were not protecting vital parts of your body. Some of the things they demanded you do or tried to do were beyond belief,  one of the mildest things was when they placed a row of 12 old pennies on a table and was told to cover them with ******* , it was not a request it was a demand they were evil. I was then surrounded a  mob , I didn't know I could move so fast.

Even nowadays the thought of the place brings me out in cold sweats.

• Like 2

The situations of the type elucidated by trogg were/are the norm where women make up the majority of the workplace. Even in all-male work environs, things were far from convivial.

All of this current female 'me2' sexual harassment crusade amounts to nothing more than a load of barlocks when compared to some of the goings-on in factories and offices by sex-mad workers (of all genders) on innocent new male employees. Described as 'initiation ceremonies' and 'harmless fun' these humiliations left some men and boys scarred for life (both mentally and physically).

When I worked in an office in Nottingham in the 70’s new starters were sent to another department to ask for a long stand. Amazing how many (both male and female) fell for it. I always thought it was a bit cruel on your first day in a new job. 

I agree that the current wave of hysteria regarding sexual harassment of women in the workplace is nauseating...and I'm a feminist!  Although I have never worked in a factory, I know people who have and the tales they tell of predatory behaviour by females are horrendous.

I've been on the receiving end of unwanted attentions from male colleagues from the day I entered the workplace. You either deal with it or leave. What's so difficult about that?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Never really thought about men being sexually harassed......but i'm sure it happens.....the nearest iv'e been harassed by women (although at the time just thought it was funny) was when i was about 17 (1963/4) and relief manager at Marsdens Netherfield,,,the shop closed at 5.30 but i didn't know the Manager stayed open for the ladies that worked a local factory,,(Bourne street ?)

I soon found out when trying to lock up at 5.30 the first day,, they were banging on the door and windows,,i let them in,,and they told me in no uncertain terms what they would do to me if i closed at 5.30 again...........Was nearly tempted........lol

• Like 3

Nearly got sexually harassed in a lift when I worked for a short while at Hunt and Colleys on hucknall rd. Unfortunately someone else got in the lift on the next floor!!

• Like 1

To a large extent, the baby has been thrown out with the bath water, as it were.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of friendly banter or an affectionate gesture...an arm around the shoulders or even a hug, in the workplace.  It's a question of intention.  

The worst incident occurred when I was around 19  and was cornered one day in my office by a chap in his 60s.  He had always been pleasant and his behaviour on this particular day was very out of character. I was alone in the room but had I screamed or shouted, others would have heard me and arrived to investigate. I didn't scream or shout.  He grabbed me, I told him to let go, he didn't so he got kneed in the testicles. He let go then. There were a couple of heavy objects to hand with which I could have bashed him over the head and if he hadn't backed off I would have done so quite happily. I was very angry.

The following day, he turned up with a large box of chocolates and a profuse apology. I opened the chocolates and emptied them over his head.  He never came near me again. It was an unpleasant episode but hardly worthy of counselling!

I had done nothing to invite his behaviour but I accept that men and women sometimes get carried away with whatever is going on in their own heads.

That said, I have no sympathy for women who walk around scantily and provocatively clad, inebriated and then complain of serious sexual assault.  They undermine the tremendous efforts of generations of women who have fought for equality and they deserve all they get.

• Like 7

My mum recalls as a you g girl working in the shipyard in Barrow in Furness she was often asked to go and find a male and female plug, connection or whatever . When she went off to find them  they always gave her explicit actions of what they intended. Very embarrassing for a young girl. But she gave back plus what she was given. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well said Jill,,,as much as i enjoy 'Banter' on a Daily basis,,would be ashamed of myself if i took it too far,,and iv'e never been tempted to,,,even with the Scanty clads'' in fact they turn me off completely,,you can complement a lady without Vulgarity,,,

• Like 5

Spot on Ben. No one can turn me on just with a vulgar comment ! Anyway, I've always been shy !

• Like 1

True, Ben. Sadly, some people of both genders don't know when they've crossed the line. They don't even know the line exists!

I've been accused, in my time, of being anti male. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, I get on better with men than women due to the absence of bitchiness in men.

What I won't tolerate is being regarded as a piece of meat in the butcher's window and, during my working life, I've met many males who think it's acceptable. I've never hesitated to impress upon them that it isn't.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The trouble is for men these days is that you’ve only got to look at a woman to be accused of being a pervert and put on the sex offenders register. As for talking to a child or patting it on the head - don’t even go there! How do people get to meet with the opposite sex (or should it be the same sex!) these days. I suppose it’s all done through dating sites where all participants have a common agenda.

• Like 3

After leaving our Beer Off in the 1980s I still needed to earn money, so took up a counter assistant position in a town center Butchers shop. There was sexual harassment  on a daily basis, not only that but bullying as well. We had a large walk in Fridge freezer by the shop floor. It was guaranteed that if you had to go in there, one of the male butchers would run in and shut the door. I will leave the rest to your imagination.

You may think 'Why not report it'? To be honest, no point, you might as well leave the job as you would be shunned or laughed at for being a prude. We had one particular Butcher who was about 6ft 5in and well over 20stone, ( No problem there, if he had  had a few manners )he would come to the counter with a tray of meat to stock up, he didn't say excuse me, but would just side shove you out of the way, no contest, being 5ft 2in and half his weight. 

I don't think for one minute they would get away with it today.