• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

That's fair enough, provided the males concerned are prepared to accept being kicked in the testicles or having a sharp object thrust in them as part of the fun. The thing is, they don't! Tough. If you can't take it, don't dish it out. :Shock:

• Like 4

There is a hell of a difference between banter and harassment and its about time some people understood this. There is no justification what so ever for harassment , you have to know the person well before you start banter as they may consider it harassment  and you must respect that persons views. 

• Like 6

Correct there Trogg, I had a manager who thought it was funny to wrestle some of the guys and draw rude pictures on their foreheads or bare backs with felt tip pens,when reported and challenged about his behaviour he said it was just banter,it was not, it was a form of bullying,degrading and humiliating to the other person,tried it once with me ( I was his assistant manager) but after shoving him up against the wall and threatening to rip his throat out (no witnesses) I said to him "whats up mate it's only banter" he never tried it again. I aint no snowflake or do-gooder but I do have respect for others

Rog

• Like 4

Don't get me wrong: I am no advocate of violence in any form. However, if someone invades my personal space without my permission and is intending actions of which I don't approve, I am going to protect myself and use any means to do so. In my view, everyone has that right. If it results in injury to the perpetrator, hard cheese. Might make them think twice next time.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

As that American kept saying of England yesterday.  No guns.

Whatever one thinks about that there are some here and even the ladies can pack a small weapon.  I don't advocate gun violence but a guy better be careful.  That act of harassment could be the last thing he does. The law would almost certainly side with the victim.

I tend to keep my distance from all ladies and I don't make smart remarks.  I'm a bit long in the tooth for all that anyway.

• Like 1

I never took you as a snowflake anyway Jill. smile2

When I went on NCT in the 70s & women bus drivers were joining the ranks we alway's pulled the handbrake on that extra notch !

Many times they had to go to the depot & ask a fitter to release the handbrake for them, bit of fun but certainly no sexual harrassment from anyone.

• Like 1

I sometimes despair of the younger generation of women, it seems the slightest thing is classed as sexual harrassment. Are all the younger generation of women so spineless that a wolf whistle can cause mental distress. When I was younger it was more upsetting not to get one when you walked past a building site together with the ensuing retort. Perhaps my generation were bought up tougher than the present one. I am in no way minimising real harrassment of any kind but come on ladies (and some gentlemen) get a grip and stop crying wolf so real harrassment can be investigated.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

My dad died when I was 10 and he 79, which meant he was born in 1876, right in the middle of the reign of Queen Victoria. Whilst no means a cruel father, he was certainly a strict disciplinarian, believing in the principal that children should be seen and not heard. His attitude towards women was unwavering, they were the fairer sex and placed on a pedestal. My upbringing therefor proved ideal preparation for the rigours at the Mellish but hardly for the working environment of the swinging sixties. My first job was in the Export Department of Raleigh Industries, an office full of mainly young ladies, and me the veritable fish out of the water.I have no doubt they would have been kind to me, but I was so painfully shy, I can not remember having a conversation with any of them. I must have shown some early initiative because I was given the job of sorting out the filing system and in consequence, unfettered access to all the side offices. I threw open the door of what I thought was an empty office and lying on a desk was a young lady  having her boobs inked with a map of the world. Now I could not say if she was enjoying the experience or not but she certainly was making no attempt to get up. I made a speedy about turn and fled the scene. Should I have reported the matter to the Office Manager? Would that not have caused the young lady, complicit or not, a great deal of embarrassment? What a contrast to the prevailing attitudes of today!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

For a long period of my life I was an inveterate giver of lifts. On one occasion, having worked late, I called into the local KFC to buy a peace offering. As I came out of the shop there was a young girl stood by the door crying and I ascertained her date had let her down and she was stranded. Ever the gentleman I offered her a lift home. The young lady lived in an area of Manchester with which I was totally unfamiliar and although her directions got us to her house I became absolutely lost on the way home. When I did eventually arrive home I received a rollicking for being far later than I said I would be and another one for the fried chicken being cold. Driving back to Nottingham on my own, very late one night I picked up two young girl hitch hikers. Although nothing amiss happened I realised after I had dropped them off just how vulnerable I was to all sorts of accusations, particularly with their being two of them,. so  I stopped giving lifts. A shame but probably the safest option. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Blimey Geoffrey, you got out alive then ?  LOL. Smashing little pub though, sitting outside on a summers evening.

A real cross section of civilisation without a doubt. Great cobs too.

Haven't set foot in the Pear Tree since around 1969.  I recall it was a nice little place.  Went there to meet up with a lad from Boowul who I didn't see again for 50 years, but now regularly see in Boowul Wethies.. when I'm home.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Geoffrey Dennis said:

For a long period of my life I was an inveterate giver of lifts. On one occasion, having worked late, I called into the local KFC to buy a peace offering. As I came out of the shop there was a young girl stood by the door crying and I ascertained her date had let her down and she was stranded. Ever the gentleman I offered her a lift home. The young lady lived in an area of Manchester with which I was totally unfamiliar and although her directions got us to her house I became absolutely lost on the way home. When I did eventually arrive home I received a rollicking for being far later than I said I would be and another one for the fried chicken being cold. Driving back to Nottingham on my own, very late one night I picked up two young girl hitch hikers. Although nothing amiss happened I realised after I had dropped them off just how vulnerable I was to all sorts of accusations, particularly with their being two of them,. so  I stopped giving lifts. A shame but probably the safest option. 

It was a 'dodgy' business.  Around 1968, me and my mate John were hitching back from Wales and stuck on the A50 near Uttoxeter.  ( Or 'Uxter'.as the locals called it.)  A young girl in a mini pulled up and we got in.  I was the lucky one and got to sit in the front seat. This young lady was totally stunning.  Slim and blond, wearing a knitted pale cream dress at 'mini' length. There would have been somethng seriously wrong with me if I'd not noticed that she was gorgeous.  Naturally, John and I were true Gents thoughout and she dropped us in the centre of Nottm close to the Council House, but I doubt I'll ever forget that journey.  There can't have been so many young girls driving alone back in 1968.

• Like 1

DJ360  I do not believe any red blooded man will ever stop appreciating a good looking woman whilst still having a breath in his body. However it is always look but don`t touch and adherence to the principal that a woman has the absolute right to say NO and mean it.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I have never subscribed to the belief that the British Worker is basically lazy as portrayed for example, in the film ,I`m All Right Jack. In my experience  the willingness to work is particularly endemic in the female of the species.There are inevitably boring aspects to a lot of jobs on a production line but this boredom can be some what alleviated by job rotation. Being busy makes the time fly by and whilst I was never so naive to believe the girls would not snatch a  break when they could, generally speaking they would quickly bring a breakdown to my attention. Thereby lay a problem, how do you enter a confined space, filled with female bodies in order to  investigate the cause of the stoppage? My strategy was to enter the area with my hands at chest height palms facing outwards, visually saying to the girls, I`m coming in but I`m not going to touch you. This worked for me. 

• Upvote 1

Most of my 28 years at Plessey were on a PBR (Paid by Results) scheme. Laziness was unheard of, when people's wages almost trebled.

5 minutes ago, Geoffrey Dennis said:

I have never subscribed to the belief that the British Worker is basically lazy as portrayed for example, in the film ,I`m All Right Jack.

You obviously never worked in the docks or the car industry in the days of Red Robbo and his ilk.

39 minutes ago, Geoffrey Dennis said:

.There are inevitably boring aspects to a lot of jobs on a production line but this boredom can be some what alleviated by job rotation.

Consider myself very lucky that i never had a boring job........enjoyed all my working life.......mixing with all sorts of people,,and travelling the length and breadth of mainland Britain,,,

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Likewise Ben. 

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Consider myself very lucky that i never had a boring job........enjoyed all my working life.......mixing with all sorts of people,,and travelling the length and breadth of mainland Britain,,,

I dunno what I want to be when I grow up so I'll just muddle along for the time being...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...