For those on Facebook, on the Bulwell Photos site, a hot air balloon club has posted about 40 photos of Bulwell from the air. Great set of pics.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

I'd never heard of Southglade Park and I was raised on Southglade Road.  So I just looked it up and yes, it is indeed called Southglade Park, though it's not much more than a grassed over version of what were open fields to the East of Hucknall Road, occupied by assorted farms.  So, I'm guessing that Stuart C lives on the development around Rigley Rd, which was the site of Rigley's Wagon Works?

• Upvote 1

Yes I live on the Old Rigleys site.

Been here since they were first built and have been digging up old wagon bolts and lumps of steel in the garden ever since.

Apparently Rigleys used to burn all the wood from the wagons, I think in what's now my back garden..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That's exactly where I've been, Darnal Close off Rigley Rd. I also remember when that was all fields and farms. It was part of our cross country course when I was at Mellish. Quite nice area. Not proper Bulwell though! I always think of Bulwell as the Bogs and Market Place and St. Mary's church. Bulwell actually covers a very large area.

As I remember Rigleys, they had sidings close to the old Leen Valley line.  These extended southwards towards Southglade Road, ending in a steep bank down to the field opposite Southglade.  In the South East corner they had a general dumping area, where they tipped old paint cans, furnace slag and assorted other rubbish. To the East of the works they had their sand quarry.  To the North, their offices, running pretty much all the way down to what we knew as 'Lover's Lane', now Top Valley Way.

15 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

That's exactly where I've been, Darnal Close off Rigley Rd. I also remember when that was all fields and farms. It was part of our cross country course when I was at Mellish. Quite nice area. Not proper Bulwell though! I always think of Bulwell as the Bogs and Market Place and St. Mary's church. Bulwell actually covers a very large area.

I'm on the first road, Rugby.

6 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

As I remember Rigleys, they had sidings close to the old Leen Valley line.  These extended southwards towards Southglade Road, ending in a steep bank down to the field opposite Southglade.  In the South East corner they had a general dumping area, where they tipped old paint cans, furnace slag and assorted other rubbish. To the East of the works they had their sand quarry.  To the North, their offices, running pretty much all the way down to what we knew as 'Lover's Lane', now Top Valley Way.

Found this recently 1913.

http://www.archiuk.com/cgi-bin/build_nls_historic_map.pl?search_location=, Hucknall, Nottinghamshire&latitude=53.035660&longitude=-1.211072

If you zoom in (top left of screen) on where Southglade Rd / Rigleys is, it shows the 1913 map with all the farms before Bestwood and with current layout very faint in the background.

Use the slider in the top right of screen and you can fade the current layout in.

That's excellent Stuart.

Looking at your map I think there were some Rigley’s works near Leen Valley junction back in the 50’s. The line closed during my time at Mellish and initially they provided a ‘bus from the yard at the back of Daybrook station adjacent to the Be Ro factory. Subsequently we had to get on a ‘bus at the top end of Valley Rd. and then catch a 43/44 along Vernon Rd. to Highbury Vale.

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I'm safely home now. It was quite a pleasant area near the common.

Did you check if you'd still got all your wheels and wing mirrors when you got home ??

Phil, perhaps you didn't see a sole because they were all lying flat?   They obviously weren't floundering around or you'd have spotted one...

It's a pleasure, Phil.   We Carlton le Willows girls (hello @LizzieM ) are like Rottweilers when it comes to correct English!   

Pleas feel free to corect my spelling ennytime.   

4 hours ago, DJ360 said:

As I remember Rigleys, they had sidings close to the old Leen Valley line.  These extended southwards towards Southglade Road, ending in a steep bank down to the field opposite Southglade.  

I might've posted something like this before, but here it is again. The arrow on the right is Rigley's works; arrow on the left is Bulwell Common station.

XmkrKzy.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...