That were like sittin atom wi me Mam by fire afore i went to bed........nearly drowned ind tu bogs sat in me pushchair sucking a sucker when i wa two....they (me aunts) said i wu still sucking it when they pulled me out............eeh they wu days........

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

Thought i had lost my Bulwell accent ...what with travelling and working all over Britain...........then a few years ago i was talking to a shop owner in Scunthorpe...when a nearby lady said to me...'''are you from Nottingham''?.........being surprised i said 'yes' is my accent that strong?..........she replied ''i'll even take a guess.''Bulwell''?............bit flabbergasted i said ''blimey yes''.......she laughed and said ''you sounded like my late husband he was from Bulwell..!!

• Like 1

Yes but the school was at the posh end of Bulwell, almost in the upmarket area of Basford. None of the boys were local to the area and came from far flung parts of the county. Stapleford, Beeston, Arnold, Woodthorpe, Gedling, Kimberley, Jacksdale, Awsworth, Hucknall etc. so there was a wide range of Notts accents. By the time they reached the sixth form even boys from Awsworth and Jacksdale were able to speak coherently!

• Like 2

Aahh just listened ter that powim..

It wont that ard ter understand..

She ed quite a genkle Boowul accent ter be onisst...

@philmayfield...Ahh tek it yerronabaht 'enri Mellish... funny place that were...

All the clever boggers frum Boowul un Bestwood wor at Igh Pavemunt..wi me..:laugh:

• Like 1

Henry Mellish started life as a boys’ county grammar school. Sometime after I left it became co-ed. It went comprehensive and ultimately became a ‘sports college’ with the intake coming from the local area. It went right down the pan after that and was put into ‘special measures’. When I attended the closing ceremony some years ago it was a total dump. I think it was combined with another Bulwell school. The fine building was demolished and looked like a bomb site when I last passed.

Hi Phil. Re: Mellish. It never really occurred to me to think about why Mellish was so close to me, yet I knew nobody who went there. 'County Grammar' is of course the answer. I suppose its proximity to both Basford North and Bulwell Market stations would have been handy for some of the lads from a transport p.o.v.

Most of the Pavment lot came from Bestwood, Boowul, Arnold, Sherwood etc. One or two travelled in from Clifton, which must have been a right royal PITA...

I've been trying to remember other Nottm grammar schools from the time.

Bramcote Hills was one.. but I've gone blank on the others..

Carlton Le Willows and West Bridgford were other county grammars. Until the train service was discontinued I walked from Woodthorpe to Daybrook station, took a four minute train ride to Basford North and walked through the housing estate to Kersall Drive. The walks were considerably longer than the train ride. The Kimberley contingent arrived at Basford North from the opposite direction. Others came by ‘bus from far away places usually involving a transfer in the Old Market Square. The closest contingent came from Hucknall. My friend, Allan Bell, whose father owned the garage just over the border in Hucknall could catch the 44 from outside his door and was the only person who went home for lunch!

I’ve never been familiar with Bulwell, having grown up the other side of town, although for years I was a patient at John Carberry’s Dental Surgery on Ragdale Road because he moved from Mansfield Road and we, (all the family) followed him to Bulwell.  
However, last Saturday afternoon we went to Bulwell to check it out.  I didn’t even know there was a railway station and tram stop there until that day.  We parked in the station car park and popped into the Horseshoe Inn (?) and never met so many friendly people!  As soon as we entered the place 2 or 3 people came up to us and introduced themselves.  There was a strong smell of cannabis around the place but then we get used to that wherever we go these days. The market was thriving and that was the first time I’ve seen Bulwell Bogs too.  Might even go back again one day!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I was at WB County Grammar, just spent the 6th form there when it went comp. What a cracking school, loved it.

57 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Anybody we know ?

I didn’t know anyone when I walked in the place but now have lots of new best friends!   There were 3 ladies sat in the corner sipping on their Barley Wine who asked me if I was looking for Ben …… :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Talking of schools, I attended Radford Academy for sons of retired Gentle folk. It were a good school, it were Approved.

Goodness Barley Wine, don’t think any ever passed my throat but my sister in law loved it, usually in the Flying Horse where she met my brother. The rest is all history as they say.

Also Cherry B or snowballs. I was quite ill with too much cherry b one night and remember asking the guy in the MGBGT (who I was trying to impress) to stop the car on the bridge so I could be sick over the side. Not exactly the result I was hoping for!

Talking of Bulwell , did anyone attend my school Alderman.w.derbyshire secondary  ? The career teacher was useless , said to me wot you want to do lad for career ?   I said jockey , he said wot disc jockey ? I said no , horse race jockey , couldn't give me any info how to embark on that career ,

But I got a job out of the horse and hound magazine !

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, LizzieM said:

I didn’t know anyone when I walked in the place but now have lots of new best friends!   There were 3 ladies sat in the corner sipping on their Barley Wine who asked me if I was looking for Ben …… :laugh:

That'd be Beryl..Maureen...and Valerie........awarded them all 2 Cherries for their Cherry Bs and Babychams back in 63....:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Mundella was a city grammar. I had the choice of going there but it was at least one bus journey away and didn't appeal. Several of my peers from primary school did choose to go there. Bluecoat was nearer but in those days was a church school and church attendance was mandatory. A letter from the vicar was needed to gain admittance. Both Mundella and Bluecoat were coed. The remaining options, High Pavement and Manning, were not.