• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

It wasn't an orange MGB GT was It!

Ha, no it was blue Phil

2 hours ago, David sheridan said:

Talking of Bulwell , did anyone attend my school Alderman.w.derbyshire secondary  ? The career teacher was useless , said to me wot you want to do lad for career ?   I said jockey , he said wot disc jockey ? I said no , horse race jockey , couldn't give me any info how to embark on that career ,

But I got a job out of the horse and hound magazine !

Well first off, congratulations for having the 'nous' to look in Horse and Hound.

Thing is David, if he was a 'Career Teacher', it's not surprising he knew nothing, because there was no requirement for Career Teachers to be in any way trained or qualified. The real role of Career Teacher, was to facilitate the activities of the qualified Career Adviser who came from the local Careers Service and who should have been a university graduate with a Post Graduate Diploma in Careers Guidance, plus at least one year post qualifying 'probation', before being let loose on young people. (Like wot I woz..)The Career Teacher role was more to do with ensuring the qualified adviser had access to pupils at key points, organising Careers events etc.

A good Careers Teacher was essential for the smooth operation of the Guidance system in school, but he/she was not meant to be an adviser, though some were better than others.

It's years since I retired, I never worked as an adviser in Nottm and I can't recall the details  but I would have put you in touch with a number or organisations.

Edit: I may be mistaken but I seem to recall that Alderman Derbyshire was originally a Secondary School for Girls, called Blenheim School, after the name of the area of former allotments on which it was built. It was re-named for Derbyshire who was something of a high profile local politician and as I recall the renaming was not universally popular.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Mundella was a city grammar. I had the choice of going there but it was at least one bus journey away and didn't appeal. Several of my peers from primary school did choose to go there. Bluecoat was nearer but in those days was a church school and church attendance was mandatory. A letter from the vicar was needed to gain admittance. Both Mundella and Bluecoat were coed. The remaining options, High Pavement and Manning, were not.

Pretty good summation Jill, though I wonder if we've missed any out between us?

Edit: Good info here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Nottingham

A couple I didn't know, including Clifton Hall, Brincliffe etc....

Brincliffe was very small and, in 1974, was absorbed into The Manning.

Then there were the RC affiliated schools, including Loreto and Becket. FFGS was no longer an option when I had to make a choice, although it was only a few yards up the road from the back entrance of Manning and my journey would have been, essentially, the same.

• Like 1

Bulwell in the 60s was popular for Bestwood Estate residents to go shopping, at that time you could buy most things that you wanted.  It had a very busy Market in the centre island , how anybody never was killed by the traffic going to and from the market was surprising. I can remember having to there go with on a Saturday with my mother walking there and back carrying the shopping, Bulwell as with most has seen the decline of markets and variety of shops.

• Like 1

Yep. Boowul was a lovely place. My Mum and Sister used to go shopping there on Saturday mornings.. getting most of the 'big shop' in the co-op that is now the William Peveril. I often went to the library in Highbury and then joined them for a coffee and a sausage roll in the upstairs cafe.

On 11/6/2022 at 6:51 PM, DJ360 said:

Well first off, congratulations for having the 'nous' to look in Horse and Hound.

Thing is David, if he was a 'Career Teacher', it's not surprising he knew nothing, because there was no requirement for Career Teachers to be in any way trained or qualified. The real role of Career Teacher, was to facilitate the activities of the qualified Career Adviser who came from the local Careers Service and who should have been a university graduate with a Post Graduate Diploma in Careers Guidance, plus at least one year post qualifying 'probation', before being let loose on young people. (Like wot I woz..)The Career Teacher role was more to do with ensuring the qualified adviser had access to pupils at key points, organising Careers events etc.

A good Careers Teacher was essential for the smooth operation of the Guidance system in school, but he/she was not meant to be an adviser, though some were better than others.

It's years since I retired, I never worked as an adviser in Nottm and I can't recall the details  but I would have put you in touch with a number or organisations.

Edit: I may be mistaken but I seem to recall that Alderman Derbyshire was originally a Secondary School for Girls, called Blenheim School, after the name of the area of former allotments on which it was built. It was re-named for Derbyshire who was something of a high profile local politician and as I recall the renaming was not universally popular.

Thanks Col, dunno about Blenheim girls school , but I remember we had a Blenheim house , can't remember my house name at school , but I give our maths teacher Mr Madeley a right bloody good laugh , as maths was my poorest subject , figuring I didn't have to add up sums riding racehorses , once we had a test , some of the questions went like what is 457× 53 , my answer 23 ??   The maths teacher wrote in red writing on my test sheet  you get an A star for your guessing,  and making me piss me pants laughing !!!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Later to become a coop Rog...@plantfit

Used to sit up where the 'Projectionist' sat.....watching the ''Lifters'' going about their business......when they had filled their bags with mostly ''Coffee'' and ''Razor blades''....i shot down the fire escape and said ''Ey-up'' as they exited the store....

One very well known lifter once said to me......''come on Ben thats not very fair'''... after i told him where i sat and watched him....lol.......

Funny thing is he's pushing sixty now and still at it   i often see him and we have a laugh about the old days......sometime ago had a coffee with him in Tesco''....nice chat...then just before we parted...he pulled out my favourite Gillette razors.....and asked  '''do you need any mate ?.......we both laughed and shook hands as he said ''TA RA'' Ben''.....things are not the same nowadays.....:crazy:

• Like 2

Large jars of Coffee very popular and very expensive

Same with Razors..........plus easy to sell........

If you notice most stores don't have Razors on open display nowadays.........

Used to cycle out to Bulwell from Nottingham on a Saturday to join my mate , Paul Brennan, working at the pop factory. Tough lifting jobs for young kids.

Does anyone remember a transport Cafe on hucknall lane ?  Near the what was Adelphi bingo hall and alderman.w.derbyshire school , we used to frequent there stuffing walkers crisps inside a cob , and a cuppa tea on the way to school they had a jukebox inthe Cafe,  remember Chuck berry my ding a Ling blasting away !

• 1 month later...

I was asked a question this morning and I think some members on here might be able to help, anyway, can any remember a gents outfitters on Commercial road called Crosby's or Cosby's this would have been around the 1950's/60's, any help is appreciated, thanks

Rog

C.T., why is it, I cannot open your link because I'm not on Facebook.

When I click on your link, it opens then a big screen comes over the top, asking me to 'sign in or register'. Hence, I cannot see where my Grandma lived.

Some great pictures of old Bulwell there Cliff ton.....many before my time but some within my time and memory.........just love Bulwell past and present....

• Like 2

Is Bulwell bogs still there ?   River leen to you posh uns on ere , had my first romance there with a girl from Broxtowe her name was Jaqui Foster , she had a brother called Peter Foster !

• Like 1

Here you are David...............the Bogs in all its majestic glory....

Old Jaqui hey !!!.........lovely gel......:rolleyes:Ku6qs1rDiB-sliFYAc0op6eaf1xXUFH1ilRFAcI6The Bogs still there........always wiil be.......

• Like 2
On 11/7/2020 at 5:23 PM, benjamin1945 said:

8356E927-8460-493A-BFFC-7219A5B0B645

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still sucking it when they pulled me out...twas the first of my 9 lives   lol

edit   photo thanks to Chloe

Another one to do with the Bogs for you @davidsheridan

'...about 1946....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1