• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

The church in the distance looks rather like the beginning of Ragdale Road. Not certain as I can't see the facade well enough from that angle. A contemporary at Manning lived in Ragdale Road. The church is still there, I believe, or at least the building has survived.

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i could cry.........No photo description available.

• Like 7

Aah, Ben, so pleased you’ve discovered the photo.  You’re nearly making me cry, too.  
My dad was in the Home Guard (but not Bulwell !!). He was based near Gainsborough.

• Like 1

thanks Margie........sorry didnt mean to put photo on again.....i am more than happy about it................because we never had a photo of his days in the home guard...........when i was little i used to ask him about his time in it ........and all he ever did was tell me funny stories about it........my Dad a lovely Gentleman...No photo description available.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

That chap looks rather like Private Walker (the Spiv) as played by James Beck.

Funny that Jill.........Dad always said i was a ''Spiv'' cos i never did manual work........:Shock:

• Like 1

Never conscripted, ....he had a job on the railway and it was a ''Reserved occupation''

3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Funny that Jill.........Dad always said i was a ''Spiv'' cos i never did manual work........:Shock:

Golly haven’t heard the word “spiv” in years, predictive text wants to change it to “spit” Haha

16 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i could cry.........

For anyone who wants to see the source (and many other Bulwell photos).....

https://www.facebook.com/BulwellBygones/photos/a.168005006732208/618904438308927/

• Like 2

Its absolutely brilliant......you will see how many really nice places there are in Bulwell.....many people have completely the wrong impression of the place...

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Bulwell just gets better........had Breakfast at ''Jerome's'..........sat outside people watching and all human life was there...people of all colours and languages...but all mixing well with smiling faces..........the place was very busy bathed in Sunshine and some 20 or so flea market stalls selling all sorts of Bric-a-bat.........to say nothing of a chap singing 70s Reggae'' (sp) who was excellent.....made you feel like Dancing.......served in 'Jerome's' by my fav waitress 'Chelsea'''.....obviously i call her 'Arsenal'........:biggrin:

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Bulwell a great place, I must try to go there more often, Jeromes is also my favourite place for a decent coffee and something to eat and as Ben stated the best place to people watch.

• Like 1

I was chatting to one of my former primary school teachers the other evening and he happened to mention Brooklyn Road in Bulwell.  His wife was a Roman Catholic and, when they lived in Basford, she regularly attended Our Lady of Perpetual Succour on Brooklyn Road. He recalled that the local school children found the name of the church too difficult to pronounce and it was known as Our Lady of the Petrol Suckers among most of them.

Next to the church was the only enclosed, contemplative order of RC nuns in the Nottingham Diocese: The Poor Clares.  Apparently, they have now been forced to abandon their convent because the property was so dilapidated that it was falling down around their ears.  Appeals and attempts by the nuns to raise funds for a new convent or, at the very least, repairs to the existing building have failed.  When you consider the vast wealth of the RC church, would it have hurt them to cough up instead of the sisters being forced to go cap/wimple in hand to the general public and the RC faithful to maintain a roof over their head.  If there's any truth in what Christ said about camels and the eyes of needles, I think there are going to be a few soutane-clad chaps receiving a nasty shock one of these days.

• Like 1

Looking at it on Streetview, it seems an odd place to put a contemplative order. It's a fairly small building very close to the street. Fully enclosed contemplatives normally live well away from other habitations (no pun intended) often in the countryside. There's a community centre right next to it. Solitude must be difficult when you're cheek by jowl with folks turning up for karaoke nights/Boy Scouts/jumble sales, etc. I don't know where they've gone and there probably weren't many of them left. Women joining contemplative orders are few and far between these days.  Actually, it would appeal to me. I love solitude, silence, meditation and Gregorian chant. My only problem would be the religious dogma. No good, then, is it?

My primary school, Henry Whipple, played 'Our Lady..' at football in the Redfern Cup around 1957-8-9.  We called them 'Our Lady of Pathetic Soccer':)... And we won...

We played on the field next to St Albans Rd/Cantrell Rd, close to what is now Bulwell Forest Garden.

• 4 weeks later...

So many memories of ST Albans road playing field from school boy days in the 50s........

Football redfearn cup cup final....kicked off by 3 Forest players Bob Mckinlay...Jack Burkitt and i think Jim Barratt...

The Pitch rose up down the left wing(still does) and always recall our Football Teacher teacher Mr Barnes calling it the Nob ....as in ''Hit it hard up the 'Nob'''

Also the only time my mother came to watch me play....it was against Highbury school 1956...she was there with my brother in his pram.......i got kicked in the ''Goolies'' and she ran on the pitch pushing the Pram...to see if i was ok......took some living down did that...lol..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

When you consider the vast wealth of the RC church, would it have hurt them to cough up instead of the sisters being forced to go cap/wimple in hand

"You have turned my fathers house into a den of thieves" springs to mind where ever the god botherers get involved, hypocrites the lot of them, an outlived institution where only the gullible are sucked into their agenda,

My opinion of course

Rog

• Like 1

I was tempted to laugh at your post Phil but being a cyclist myself I know what it's like to be knocked of a bike, however he chose to desert his flock is that because he found out the truth about the church or did he feel guilty taking money off the poor and vulnerable, just a thought

Rog