6 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Looking towards The Golden Ball.St.Albans Road is on the right.

.21688121-682061038659933-593645296059028

Great photo, it reminds me of my youth, the train is going over the footpath from Bulwell Common, which went over railway lines and under a tunnel and through the Kissing Gates onto St Albans Road. Nowadays it would be deemed unsafe and they would spend millions of pounds building an unsightly bridge to protect us, how did we survive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, trogg said:

.21688121-682061038659933-593645296059028

Great photo, it reminds me of my youth, the train is going over the footpath from Bulwell Common, which went over railway lines and under a tunnel and through the Kissing Gates onto St Albans Road. Nowadays it would be deemed unsafe and they would spend millions of pounds building an unsightly bridge to protect us, how did we survive.

I knew Bulwell Common well. It was on the Mellish cross country course. Up Kersall Drive, down  St. Albans,  over the common, down Hucknall Rd. to the bridge, along the footpath parallel to the railway, under the bridge, along Bestwood Rd. up St. Albans, down Piccadilly, along Jesmond Rd. Kersall Drive and back home. The longer senior course entailed going under that Hucknall Rd. Bridge, round the then farmland, back under the bridge and onto the common as before. Done that so many times. We also used the tennis courts by the clubhouse in the sixth from.

Travellers cheques from Wilsons was handy.

Cordon Bleu..handy for One Man Pan Meals.

Steggles for pork strips.

Plus i got a life ban from Sun Valley.

• Like 1

There was ever only going to be one winner. It was the same when Nottingham Omnibus tried to muscle in with their ragbag selection of secondhand Bristol VRs and Leyland Atlanteans. Nottingham folk had a great loyalty towards the "green and cream".

• Like 2

Very true Deepdene..when i worked on Howbeck Rd..3 different buses were touting to take me to Killisick..NCT won everytime.

• Like 1

Following on from Ben's post yesterday regarding the new barber shop in the town since the Salvation Army pulled out, they reckoned they couldn't make the cafe pay it's way, the rent was about £300 pw plus overheads & if this barber is charging £9 a go he certainly has to cut some hair !

mNYEy3j8jcqziO3ylAgOOKfa_1E8lUQbA-oNyvcj

Don't reckon much to the hand painted shop sign. Lowers the tone of the neighbourhood !

• Like 3

Premises far too big for a Barber,, £300 rent plus rates,,electric and Gas,,, that must be about 50 haircuts just to pay his overheads,,,can't see it lasting long,,its not as if Bulwell is short of Barber shops.

Edit,, it would make a good Marsdens or Farrands,, get a bit of service back in the place,,,

Good morning Madam,, Qtr of Cooked Ham ?  certainly,, thank you 2/6 please,,...........lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, catfan said:

Don't reckon much to the hand painted shop sign. Lowers the tone of the neighbourhood !

Got the spelling right though, so there's a bonus

Rog

• Like 1

Might be a success,, i was told this morning its going to be a Coffee shop as well,,,,seems a good idea,,,when i've been in some Arabic parts of southern Spain thats what they seemed to do,,,went in a place in Cartegena,,,(sp) the men just met there in the morning,,,some having 'Beard trims/haircuts others just chatted over a 'Smoke and Coffee'.........really nice i thought,,,don't know whether it would go down well in Bulwell though,,,

Overheads look a bit too much Ben. £9 a go is a bit pricey for a Bulwell haircut. I will say tho the coffee is usually very good esp if they bring them shisha (sp) smoking things in too. !

• Like 1

Hi Ian, Apologies for this tardy response, am still catching up and have only just read your posting of May 7 2018, regarding Gerards. I left Nottingham to be the Soap Room Manager at Cussons in Manchester and readily recognise the goings-on you described. Believe me when I tell you I have experienced everything from having my privates grabbed by a lady passing by as I spoke to the MD to false teeth coming down the packing belt. All designed to test my patience and good humor.The secret was never afford the ladies the pleasure of an over reaction.I spent 13 very happy years at Cussons terminating when all the Soap making equipment, including Plodders were sent down to Gerards. 

• Like 2

He certainly would have! There were 60 ladies on days in the soap room alone and I had the responsibility of the two other shifts as well. A very busy Department. Never a dull moment and the time flew by. 

• Like 1

Sixty females in one room alone? You do realise that Ben is now a sobbing heap on the floor, don't you? Even Marsden's can't hold a candle to that!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I think Ben missed his vocation. He might have enjoyed Gerard's.  :rolleyes:

From what I remember of the soap finishing room at Gerard's, evolution had passed by and forgotten a lot of the employees in there.