Arising from a lubricated difference of opinion in the 'Moot House', perhaps one of our several Whitemoor gels might answer my two questions:

1) Which bakery was located at the Alpine Street end of Basford Road?

2) The company which used the tall industrial chimney amidst the prefabs, was it Robert Shaw?

Cheers

Robt P.

I always thought Robert Shaw was situated at the bottom of Aspley Lane, were the dairy was and now it is Collins Warehouse. Speedo swimwear are down there as well.

Of course it could be my memory playing tricks and the age thing yet again...

A ;)

Rob, I can't ever remember a chimney amongst the prefabs. The only one I remember is Saxby's on Bar Lane. I'll ask my older brother, see if he remembers either of your queries.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother looked at an old Map and the only factory in the area was as I thought, Saxby's. He's stumped though with the bakery.

Thanks to you and your brother, for that...

I knew of Saxby's, but have clearly confused the name with Robert Shaw - as Ann confirms. Weren't they dyers?

Remain certain about the bakery, and it's location, as I went on a school visit circa 1951.

It was visible from the top of an inbound 41 trackless as it dropped down Alpine Street.

Can there be better workplace vapours than those that arise in a bakery?

Cheers

Robt P.

rob237 Posted on Aug 3 2006, 06:49 PM

Can there be better workplace vapours than those that arise in a bakery?

Cheers

Robt P.

Yes the smell of roasting tobacco in the morning..

There used to be a bakery near to where I lived called Blands Chard St/Zulu Rd but this wasn't near Alpine St so don't think this is the one your thinking of.Thr only chimney I can remember was Saxby's as it was so tall.What was Robert Shaws?

No Rob, you are not up the wrong oak. Robert Shaw used to make hair nets and they then went into Speedo, who, I might add, are still going strong. The dairy is now a warehouse type jobby where you can buy anything from a bar of choccy to a 42 inch plasma TV. If you go, watch it because the prices do not include VAT and are slightly deceiving.

A ;)

Would that be at Bobbers Mill bridge? if so I've been there....

Moot House rob237 where abouts is that? Have you heard of the Moot Hall on carlton road....they have at least ten real ales on at any given time....Great..! B)

Would that be at Bobbers Mill bridge? if so I've been there....

Moot House rob237 where abouts is that?  Have you heard of the Moot Hall on carlton road....they have at least ten real ales on at any given time....Great..! B)

On Ascot Dive at Bobbers Mill, I believe....

Apparently Speedo has a bargain factory shop

Moot House is on Bowland Road in Bingham......Hardy/Hanson....only!

A pub, like so many others, which has never realised it's 'potential', could really be much better with a cachment area from the whole of West Bingham, which has burgeoned in size since the pub opened in the early 80's.

A succession of inept mine hosts hasn't helped.

Took the quiz there for some years, with 30+ regular participants. We eventually fell out out with the then landlord....and it rapidly went back to 'one man and his dog'

Cheers

Robt P.

post-11-1154710425_thumb.jpg