I am thinking about getting an Alexa, watching the price on Amazon to see when the best price is. I just wondered if anyone has one and what they think. Also which is best the full size or the small dot. The reviews are very mixed, some saying they are brilliant and others saying they are rubbish. I would mostly use it for audible books and my podcasts, with some music if I can get it for free. Any comments would be appreciated.

I have just bought a Nextbase Dashcam that has Alexa. Not installed it yet but will post how I get on with it.

I have a relative with one. Thought it OK but the novelty soon palled and she had to put it back in the box after her 5 year old learnt how to use it. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve got the 2nd Generation Alexa SG.  It’s ok for what I want ...... as a change from watching tv or listening to the radio in the kitchen.  I often ask ‘her’ to play songs from certain of my favourite artists and she keeps going until you tell her to stop.  When round at a friend’s house we’ve played a music quiz but don’t do very well as we’re playing against people in the USA and it seems to be directed at American artists.  Now and again she’ll just spout out something randomly which can startle as the word ‘Alexa’ hasn’t even been said (you have to say “Alexa” to activate it every time). I don’t use it that often but for the price it’s good value.  

• Upvote 2

My brother in law is named Alex, and every time he visits , and we're in the kitchen, and someone mentions his name, the bleddy thing comes on !

• Upvote 1

My granddaughter has one in her bedroom and she says it sometimes speaks to her in the middle of the night when she. hasn't said "Alexa'.    Mind you this is from someone who still believes in Santa and the tooth fairy, so I'm not sure whether she just has an overactive imagination...

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

Mind you this is from someone who still believes in Santa and the tooth fairy, so I'm not sure whether she just has an overactive imagination...

What do you mean STILL believes, what are you trying to tell us Margie..?  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

When one of my relatives got one 

4 hours ago, MargieH said:

My granddaughter has one in her bedroom and she says it sometimes speaks to her in the middle of the night when she. hasn't said "Alexa'.  

One of my relatives has one downstairs, she said she heard hers talking in the middle of the night a couple of times, perhaps they get lonely? She also put the guard dog thingy on it, only problem was she couldn’t get it to stop and every so often had what sounded like 5 different dogs barking. She googled it and found there were a lot of people in the same situation, took her ages to get it to stop.

I regularly tell Alexa to 'Go forth and multiply', but every time I look, there's still only one there.

• 3 months later...

Don’t need a male version mine plays me things she thinks I want not what I ask for sometimes. For example,  me - “Alexa play the latest episode of true crime all the time”. Alexa - “To answer your question of why butterfly wings are coloured”.

Me - “Alexa no play the latest episode of true crime all the time”. Alexa - This podcast contains adult content which some may find upsetting”. Me - “Alexa play the latest episode of true crime all the time”. Alexa - “Sorry I don’t know that”. 
At which point she switches off and I listen on my iPad, at least that doesn’t answer back!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, denshaw said:

If you don't like Alexa, they've just introduced a male version............

It doesn't listen to a single word you say.

Which is apparently better than the female version who, according to SG, listens carefully to your request, takes it under advisement then totally ignores you and does as she pleases.

• Upvote 1

Our Alexa doesn't understand 'go screw yourself' or something similar.

• Like 1

There is a French version of Alexa now. I tried one the other day. Completely useless! I speak French with a very slight English accent but it wouldn't understand me. I speak English with a marked french accent - it wouldn't understand me. Considering all the horror stories associated with this device (here and elsewhere), I think my timewith Alexa is over.

I've  got a Scottish neighbour and I  can't  understand a word she says either ! No chance for Alexa.

I sometimes play one of the games on Alexa while I am having my breakfast. She sometimes suggests other games. I found hide and seek sounded a bit intriguing so tried that. She asked where am I, I pointed and replied are you there. Answer no. Once again where am I, this time I just said are you there without pointing and got the reply that she couldn’t see me! I swiftly shut her off. Bit spooky that.

Last sunday we had a lot of fun with grandchildren and Alexa. Of course being kids they asked all sorts of silly questions and listened or cancelled their favourite songs. Then my grand daughter said "Alexa, come si dice IL GATTO NEL CARBONE IN TEDESCO" ( how do you say the cat in the coal in german)

Well  the answer left us speechless. The reply was or sounded like ( i dont speak german) "catz in cool.". Translated  In italian  was "cazzo nel culo"

I'll leave you to translate into english. 

She had heard it at school. It was funny but not from a child.

I also speak italian with a slight english  accent so Alexa doesn't always understand and i have to repeat. Its setup in italian and until i get another phone there are things i cant do as my phone ( iphone 5 ) cant download the Alexa app.