I gave it five minutes, if that, then reverted to the Antiques Road Show. Whatever combination of wacky presenters the BBC conjour up, they'll never beat Clarkson, Hammond and May. The long Specials they did were brilliant, and can never be surpassed.

I always watch the Antiques Road Show, as being an antique, I have a special interest. I viewedTop Gear on catchup on my iPad, snugly tucked up in bed. I do hope it improves. Sacking Clarkson was huge mistake. I bet worldwide viewing figures have dropped off.

So called 'experts' claim that no one person is bigger than the 'Show'. Well Clarkson was ! A sad loss to a once  great programme.

I was so convinced about how good it would be I didn't waste any time bothering to watch it.

Clarkson and co. were good and the show WAS great, but I'd stopped watching it before they sacked him.

If they changed the cast in the Archers and moved the setting to Milton Keynes, would the original listeners still follow it, I doubt.

It's time to drop the name Top Gear, it's just causing confusion and comparison to the original.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I watched it on iPlayer and oh dear. Flintoff may be a great bloke but he is not and in my view never will be comfortable in front of the cameras. Paddy... who the hell is Paddy?

The script and the set pieces are stilted and seemingly more and more bizarre. Lately for me the only bright spot has been the episodes when Sabine Schmitz has taken part, her enthusiasm is infectious.

I stopped being a regular viewer when Clarkson and crew were doing it because they had run out of ideas long ago and were getting sillier and sillier. Stuart is right  - let it go.

To rescue the show who do the team think would make a good presenters?  Sabine Schmitz? Phil Tufnell? Nick Nowles?...

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I'd like to see Guy Martin with someone else to keep him in check!

The subtitle writer wouldn’t be able to keep up, chief. The subtitle writer wouldn’t be able to keep up.

;)

• Like 3

Magic !!! Absolute magic !!

Could someone kindly tell me why the cash strapped BBC should send non petrol heads half way round the world on jollies?

5 hours ago, FLY2 said:

The long Specials they did were brilliant, and can never be surpassed.

We used to get the original Top Gear over here. One Special was set in Vietnam, they rode mopeds. It was a great program and because of the scenery they went through, Vietnam went on my Bucket List. We are finally going next February. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That paddy McGuiness seems to get on everything thats going. Don't matter what the programme is he fancies himself as an expert. Why does he find it necessary to shout all the time. Is he now a motoring journalist ?

5 minutes ago, katyjay said:

We used to get the original Top Gear over here. One Special was set in Vietnam, they rode mopeds. It was a great program and because of the scenery they went through, Vietnam went on my Bucket List. We are finally going next February. 

Name dropper ! Whats wrong with Bognor or Littlehampton ?  unionflag

35 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Could someone kindly tell me why the cash strapped BBC should send non petrol heads half way round the world on jollies?

Because so far the programme has generated revenue far in excess of it's costs.... so far.

When they kept calling him Paddy I thought it was a nickname. Like Lord Mayfield I'd never heard of the guy..

Then again I've never heard of Guy Martin either...

In the Clarkson days, Top Gear had by far the largest audience of any programme on BBC2 - in the region of 5-6 million, when any other BBC2 programme would be pleased to get 2 million.

And as Brew mentioned, those programmes also generate a massive amount of income for the BBC through licensing deals, programme sales, and merchandising.

Top Gear back then was one of the few programmes which put a lot more money back into the BBC than it ever cost to make.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Brew said:

When they kept calling him Paddy I thought it was a nickname. Like Lord Mayfield I'd never heard of the guy..

Gods gift to entertainment, or so he thinks !