Hello - Shore family, Basford

Just testing. I'm a new member interested in Basford (where my Mother was born), the Shores, Long Eaton, the Midland Railway, Will Benner (artist), Furley and Co and I'm sure, lots of new things as I read others' posts. Hope it's ok for me to revisit some older posts on topics of interest. :)

• Upvote 1

Welcome CB Hunt, go where your mind takes you there are lots of things to interest us all. Enjoy NS and post lots.

• Like 1

Cliff Ton.  My grandfather and greatgrandfather were coal merchants in Basford, both called Richard Shore.  Richard senior's father was Denton Shore, a wheelwright from Long Eaton and his father was Richard Shore originally from Misson - if I've got that right?  Richard senior's daughter, Bertha, married Will Benner, artist, from Nottingham but both she and my grandfather, Richard, died of TB in the 1920s and so I haven't any photos of them.  So, when I say the 'Shores' I mean the family.  Sorry not to be clear.  Thanks for any help on this one!!

Try looking at the Newspaper Archives. You can normally use this service free in a library, or on Findmypast if they are having a free weekend. The Newspaper Archives can be a good source of information about ancestors and sometimes there are photos. For members of my family tree I have found BMD announcements, accounts of funerals and also details of fires at their premises and when they won prizes at local flower shows. If ancestors were in a local football team you may be in luck with a photo. Hope this helps you CB Hunt. Good luck with your research. 

Another thought, try contacting Nottinghamshire Family History Society. Very nice people and helpful. I have talked to them at family history fairs in Chesterfield and at the NEC.

• Like 1
On 6/29/2019 at 3:26 PM, C B Hunt said:

My grandfather and greatgrandfather were coal merchants in Basford, both called Richard Shore. 

You may already know this, but around 1910-15 they were at 53 Mandalay Street, Basford.

• Like 1

Death notice in Nottingham Journal :

SHORE. —On April 14th. 1928 at 53. Mandalay street. Richard Shore junior, aged 35. Interment Wednesday, 2.30 p.m at General Cemetery. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

You may already know this, but around 1910-15 they were at 53 Mandalay Street, Basford.

The house on the left is 53. The arch/entrance on the right leads to what was the coal yard.

bzVDiGx.jpg

Thanks everyone (still haven't worked out how to reply to specific messages!).  I do have quite a lot of information about my grandfather and greatgrandfather's generation (Richard Shore born Long Eaton 1859-1932) and his son Richard Shore (1892-1928).  My Mother was Peggy Shore, 1920-1963, born at Mandalay Street, who was living with her grandmother, Susan Shore in Wilton Street in the 1939 Register.  Richard's sister, Bertha, was married to Will Benner, the Nottingham artist (who taught at High Pavement and there's quite a lot of information available about him), but she also died young of TB in 1921. 

I was hoping to make contact with someone who might have photos.  I was also hoping to find out more about where Bertha worked before she married (in 1911 census she is a teacher in 'council schools').  I will be visiting the cemeteries this weekend to see what I can find out.   I may also be cheeky and ask East Midlands Tubes and Fittings if I can see what was the coal yard!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was told by the owner that they see an old man with a white beard dressed in black in what was the yard of the coal merchants.  They used to see him every day at the same time but it has been less since they made some renovations to the yard area.  You'll need to speak to them directly at Mandalay Street if you want more information as I have just had this second hand from the owner!.  Luckily the description they've given doesn't sound like my ancestor!!