Major Barber and Barber Walker & Co

The manse is shown on an 1880 map, it is about halfway between the horse and groom pub, and Reuben shaws garden centre. It is on the same side of the road as the pub.

Looking at the same map there was also a church between the pub and the manse.

On a street map it would be about 114 Moorgreen.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Further to the above 1881 Census , the marriage of Robert Barber and Elizabeth Catherine  Baker occurred at Biggleswade in Sept Qtr 1874 .   The death of Canon Barber's father Robert Barber

This is him in 1939 .   The Vicarage , Hucknall Thomas G Barber DOB 18 Jun 1875 Occupation  Clerk In Holy Orders Wife : Gertrude Barber , born 1879   Daug

This is Thomas G Barber with parents on 1881 Census at  3, Avenue No 10 Sherwood Rise, Nottingham  Robert Barber Head Married Male 32 1849 Solicitor Greasley, Nottinghamshire,    Eliz

The entrance in my Streetview Link at#45 is the one directly above and on the opposite side of the road to 'Rueben Shaw' garden centre on your second map at #52

#54...I can't see that link as being the entrance. I agree with notty ash and the entrance would seem to be further down, here...

ttps://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.0256119,-1.2783671,3a,75y,88.03h,92.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRG_3KO383eLTJlkUJjufNA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 

Lamb Close, the Barber residence, is many times larger than The Manse and further back along the road toward the direction of Underwood.

I have old slides taken at Lamb Close by Caroline Isabella Fryar in the 50s which show a building totally different from The Manse.

No it didn't. You are confusing that with New Lane, which did eventually lead to Watnall Brickyard. New Lane starts at the side of the Horse and Groom, Moorgreen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. My great aunt Naomi (daughter of Major Barber) lived at the Manse. She sadly died in 2002 and the house was sold a couple of years later so it's no longer in the Barber family. In terms of the location, Notty Ash's Google Map picture shows the correct location.

Jill, you mention that you've got some slides of Lamb Close in the 50s. I'd LOVE to see them somehow! Are there people in them? If so, might be Major Barber and other family members I can identify. Thanks!

Tom, Naomi was your great aunt was she? As I mentioned earlier, her death had recently taken place when I visited her neighbour who had known her well.

It is some time since I looked at the slides of Lamb Close but, yes, they do feature people and, if I remember correctly, Naomi is among them.

I may have scanned them when I first looked at them. I'll have a dig around and see what I can find. Putting photos on NS has always defeated me but we can probably work out a way to email the images to you. You may also be interested to see the photos I have which were taken outside The Manse in the 30s. Did you know the house personally?

My good friend, Catfan, has kindly offered to post some old photos I have of The Manse, the building I suspect could have been The Grange at Eastwood, Lamb Close, various members of the Barber Family, etc. Watch this space over the next few days!

Since all the families involved had a great love of animals and the photographer liked animals better than people, there are lots of dogs and cats in the pictures too! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

As Jill has said, here are the first couple of photo's she has kindly sent me.

An image of Canon Thomas Gerrard Barber. This is from a EP article in 2007.

P_20161008_144052_003_zpsgeh16uyh.jpg

An image of Ruth Haslam (nee Barber) 1899-1995, daughter of Dr Robert David Barber of Eastwood.

P_20161008_144948_004_zpsn3u3xxge.jpg

• Upvote 1

Three more of Jill Sparrow's oictures.

John William Fryar, manager of Barber Walker Colliery until his death in 1915 .

Grave%20of%20John%20William%20Fryar%20at

Two photos which may be of The Grange in Eastwood which is where he lived.

Believed%20to%20be%20The%20Grange%20East

Believed%20to%20be%20The%20Grange%20at%2

• Upvote 2

Many thanks Catfan.

The grave of John William Fryar can be found in Greasley churchyard. His family paid for one of the bells in the church peal as a memorial and it is inscribed with his name. His younger brother, Mark, was also a Colliery manager and his hobby was bell ringing.

The three people on the second photo are from the left, one of the Fryar sisters, Mark Fryar and his wife, Louisa Mary Fryar, nee Strelley.

Many thanks, Catfan.

First photo shows back row: Caroline Isabella Fryar, her brother Mark Strelley Fryar. Front row: Marian Robey Bell and Louisa Mary Fryar, nee Strelley. Date unknown but prior to 1934.

More Manse photos yet to come.

• Upvote 1

Great pictures.

The house in #68 that you say may be The Grange, Eastwood, certainly has the appearance that I remember it albeit derelict when I knew it. (It was an excellent playground)

#69 Ivy Cottage, Church Street, Eastwood is *reputably* the oldest house in Eastwood.