Major Barber and Barber Walker & Co

Hi, I know I am a bit late to this topic, and apologies for jumping on this post but I am trying to find information on Canon Barber.  I have seen him mentioned a couple of times in this post.  Any information on his family tree would be appreciated.  Thanks

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Further to the above 1881 Census , the marriage of Robert Barber and Elizabeth Catherine  Baker occurred at Biggleswade in Sept Qtr 1874 .   The death of Canon Barber's father Robert Barber

This is him in 1939 .   The Vicarage , Hucknall Thomas G Barber DOB 18 Jun 1875 Occupation  Clerk In Holy Orders Wife : Gertrude Barber , born 1879   Daug

This is Thomas G Barber with parents on 1881 Census at  3, Avenue No 10 Sherwood Rise, Nottingham  Robert Barber Head Married Male 32 1849 Solicitor Greasley, Nottinghamshire,    Eliz

This is him in 1939 .

The Vicarage , Hucknall

Thomas G Barber

DOB 18 Jun 1875

Occupation  Clerk In Holy Orders

Wife Gertrude Barber , born 1879

Daughter : Geraldine E C Cooper (Barber) born 3rd June 1918 .

( she must have married a Mr. Cooper after 1939) 

Thomas Gerrard Barber married Gertrude Palmer at Westbury in 1902 .

Geraldine born Basford district 1918 , mothers maiden name Palmer .

• Like 1

This is Thomas G Barber with parents on 1881 Census at 

3, Avenue No 10 Sherwood Rise, Nottingham

Robert Barber Head Married Male 32 1849 Solicitor Greasley, Nottinghamshire,

Elizabeth C. Barber ( nee Baker,) Wife Married Female 24 1857-Old Warden, Bedfordshire, 

Thomas G Barber Son Single Male5 1876-Nottinghamshire, 

Walter B Barber Son Single Male 3 1878-Nottinghamshire, 

Emily Godber Cousin Single Female 12 1869 Scholar Hucknall Torkard, Nottinghamshire, 

• Like 1

Welcome, YvonneP. Are you related to Canon Barber?  As mentioned earlier in the thread, I have the papers and family photographic archive of Ruth Barber 1899 to 1995 (later Haslam) daughter of Dr Barber of Ivy Cottage, Church Street, Eastwood and his wife,  Alice Georgiana Strelley.  Ruth is related to Canon Barber in some way I have never managed to work out.

Further to the above 1881 Census , the marriage of Robert Barber and Elizabeth Catherine  Baker occurred at Biggleswade in Sept Qtr 1874 .

The death of Canon Barber's father Robert Barber , as announced in the South Notts Echo , 26th March 1929 and a mention of Lamb Close House .

Hucknall Vicar Bereaved.

The death occurred on Monday night at Avenue, Sherwood Rise, Nottingham, in his 81st year, of Mr. Robert Barber, sen., principal of the firm of
Robert Barber and Sons, solicitors, of19. Castle Gate, Nottingham.

He is the father of the Rev. Canon Barber, Vicar of Hucknall.

Mr. Barber, who was the son of the late Mr. Thomas Barber, of Lamb Close House, Greasley, was born on August 1, 1848, and educated at Uppingham and
Jesus College, Cambridge.

Deciding to take up a legal career,
he was articled to Mr. Walter Browne,
of the firm of Campbell, Burton, and Browne, then a well-known firm of
solicitors, practising in Nottingham.

Later, the partnership was dissolved, and when Mr. Barber was admitted as
a solicitor in 1874 he took over the practice which Mr. Browne had continued to carry on.

Some eight years ago he was joined by two of his sons, and the firm became Robert Barberand Sons.

A staunch churchman, Mr. Barber was a prominent member of the congregation of St. Andrew's Church, and over a long period had charge of the
Men's Bible Class. He also conducted services at St. Andrew's Mission.

When the Nottingham Incorporated Law Society was inaugurated in 1875 the deceased gentleman was one of the first members. For a number of years he represented Newthorpe on the Notts. County Council, and upon his resignation was succeeded by his nephew.

• Like 2

Re. above post. Just before I got to 'Hucknall Vicar bereaved,' I was going to say Robert Barber & Son solicitors are based on Church Street Eastwood. Suppose I need to get out of bed earlier! :)

5 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Welcome, YvonneP. Are you related to Canon Barber?  As mentioned earlier in the thread, I have the papers and family photographic archive of Ruth Barber 1899 to 1995 (later Haslam) daughter of Dr Barber of Ivy Cottage, Church Street, Eastwood and his wife,  Alice Georgiana Strelley.  Ruth is related to Canon Barber in some way I have never managed to work out.

Hi Jill, yes he was my Great Grandfather.  I thought it was a good time to start gathering some information on my father's family tree.

I have a photo of Canon Barber and Ruth Barber's grandson has always been struck by the resemblance to his grandmother in old age. Precisely what the family connection is, we don't know but she always said she was related to the Lamb Close Barbers.  Her father, Dr Robert David Barber, died young. Too much of a fondness for the demon drink! Good luck with your research.