Major Barber and Barber Walker & Co

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Further to the above 1881 Census , the marriage of Robert Barber and Elizabeth Catherine  Baker occurred at Biggleswade in Sept Qtr 1874 .   The death of Canon Barber's father Robert Barber

This is him in 1939 .   The Vicarage , Hucknall Thomas G Barber DOB 18 Jun 1875 Occupation  Clerk In Holy Orders Wife : Gertrude Barber , born 1879   Daug

This is Thomas G Barber with parents on 1881 Census at  3, Avenue No 10 Sherwood Rise, Nottingham  Robert Barber Head Married Male 32 1849 Solicitor Greasley, Nottinghamshire,    Eliz

Pianoman, you are probably one of the few people who can remember The Grange, even as a derelict shell. No one has ever been able to identify those photos for certain.

I particularly like the windows of The Manse, with their bull's eye glass panes, although I suspect they may not be there now. As Catfan says about the 1920s flapper photo of Ruth Barber, the pictures recall a very different era.

• Upvote 1

I remember Grange Cottage being derelict as well, although the front was was lived in until later on until finally it was all abandoned. That has been made into a nice dwelling now. They owners have incorrectly named it 'The Grange'.

In #12, Pianoman says The Grange occupied the site of what is now Thorntree Gardens. I assume that after Fryar's sudden death from appendicitis in August 1915, his successor occupied the house and so on, up to nationalisation. What happened to it after that I have no idea.

I do know that Fryar was often invited to Eastwood Hall, just across the road, as a guest at various celebrations. Ruth Barber noted in her diary for 1913 that she and her cousin, Caroline Fryar (J W Fryar's niece) stayed at Eastwood Hall over New Year and enjoyed the celebrations. Eastwood Hall was the home of the Walker family.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.0241797,-1.303795,18z

It was demolished to build what is now Thorntree Gardens. The L shaped building with a garage making it look almost like U shaped building above Thorntree Gardens, left of the lake is/was Grange Cottage

I note there is a Fryar Road running off Coach Drive which, presumably, is in memory of John William. Interesting also to note the name Robey on a street name as this family was also connected with the Strelleys and the Barbers. They all intermarried and all had interests in coal mining.

• Upvote 1

Just found an article online from the Eastwood Advertiser dated September 2012 which shows an image of The Grange. I'll ask Catfan to post it for me. It states the house, Grange Cottage, the garage and outbuildings were all sold in 1953 for £5100.

You must be right about Fryer. Robey Drive was named after a local doctor - Dr. Robey. Whether he was a member of the same family or not I have no idea. I have never known why Thorpe Road is that, although I have lived there 58 years!

I lived in Brinsley for some years and heard much about old Dr Robey, whom all the older residents had known. I don't know where, or even if, he fits into the Robey family I'm thinking of but I think it likely.

The new image of The Grange is interesting as there are some definite similarities with the two photos I have, e.g. the door casing. There are also some differences. Be interesting to see what others think.

• Upvote 1

The article stated that The Grange and 800 acres of land were acquired by Barber Walker in 1916 on the sale of the Cowper Estate and that the house became the residence of Barber Walker's general manager. However, we know that Fryar lived there prior to this date! Contradictory information.

23 minutes ago, catfan said:

The Grange from an old newspaper article. (JS).

3135229643_zpsv2kf2oem.jpg

Mansfield Road (or correctly Nethergreen) would be reached off down the lane to the right of that picture. The estate I live on built beyond the picture in the distance. It is nearer to the lane than I remember it but hey it was a long time ago. The photographer would have been standing, I think, where the lake above Grange Cottage is now. Grange Cottage being to the photographers right elbow. The lake on my Google map above is incidentally man made.

Interesting map, CT. The Grange was clearly a much larger building than is indicated by the 2 photos I have of it...if indeed they are of The Grange. There are photos taken in the garden. Not sure if I sent one to Catfan, showing J W Fryar with his dog. The grounds appear extensive. His sisters would also have lived there prior to their brother's demise.

Just had another look at them. Your pictures seem to suggest that it was on a hump in the ground. The photographer is clearly standing on ground lower than the house. The Grange was on distinctly flat land if not in a slight hollow.

Just been out with my camera. 

Grange Cottage as it is today. Nothing like it originally was. It was a 2 storey house

2ptpa4j.jpg

Here I am standing outside the entrance to Grange Cottage. The large tree in the centre of the picture was smack in front of The Grange. The tree was probably there when The Grange was. Note that all of the ground slopes away.

mie4qf.jpg

View from further up the lane. The Grange would have been in the centre of the picture just to the left of that tree. (Same tree as previous picture).

11ah7y9.jpg

• Upvote 1

Grange Cottage. This  is how I remember it in the 60's and perhaps early 70's when just the front part was still lived in. Pictured in 1966

11azp8j.jpg

• Upvote 2

Regarding the above picture at #97, a guy by the name of Jack Andrews lived in it then and would have been when this picture was taken. He would have been renting it. He lived in the front piece in the centre of the picture. The rest of it was derelict when that picture was taken.

These are the slides I mentioned which were taken at Lamb Close House and grounds, showing members of the Barber family. I have no names or dates but recognise the only male in the shots as a Barber.

Re the two shooting party shots, these were taken in Scotland but, again, no dates.

I'm sure Tom Barber can identify some, if not all, of those in the pictures.

Grateful thanks to Catfan for posting these images! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1