Canal Street Over The Years

I have no recollection of that mural in pic 3 ! Was it a long term fixture?

Do remember the smell of the public toilet's though!

Great pics and memories ! no 8 is a my favourite.

Gotta admit HSR., can't say I've ever seen the mural either, but then again I've not seen that area for over 30 years. You could always try a screen shot of no.8 if you want your own copy. B.

• Like 1

1997 for me Beekay, gets the grey matter ticking over don't it!

Took a snapshot of the mural picture, gave me the ability to zoom in. think it's not a rat run!

I only ever caught Buses here at night. If I remember correctly all the aisles are roughly right of the photographer, unlike Victoria nothing on the mural side and it was dark in there.

Think there were about thirteen aisles in total..The bus I caught.went to Bingham, can't recall the number of the bus but the aisle was about where the pic was taken. No 12?

If I approached from the Subway my head would do a left.. what's that bl**dy stench! like the chap in the picture!

Where the vertical pole of the fence 'points' behind the car.. would that be the Sherwood Rooms? 

What number picture are you referring to when you mention a post on a fence ? (Near Sherwood rooms). Your right about stench, can't beat the delicate aroma of uric acid. Some old pub toilets used to be the same. B.

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

What number picture are you referring to when you mention a post on a fence ? (Near Sherwood rooms). 

I think it's this one. And yes, Sherwood Rooms is just visible; it's the smaller, dark building arrowed. Currently called 'Ocean'.

OUeFLMV.jpg

Thank you CT., helpful and knowledgeable as ever.  thumbsup

Never dawned on me it were that one !

If those pics were back in November 2017, when demolition began, what did they build in it's place ? and what does it look like now ? I believe that Colin street is to be pedestrianised. Is there no longer a bus station at all? Don't recognise Nottingham at all. Glad I only went to the wheelhouse, I would be totally lost now. Difficult to believe I were a bus driver there an' all !!

Aerial view showing Sherwood rooms, ( as was).IMG-20190716-123031.jpg Courtesy of Mr Google, just for you HSR.,  looking South over Collins St., and Canal St. B.

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

If those pics were back in November 2017, when demolition began, what did they build in it's place ? and what does it look like now ?

Nowt....yet. They're a bit slow off the mark. It's been a big, empty space for over a year.

On picture 45 of 51, the caption states circa 1960s., but the price sign shows £1:16 and £1:18. Surely decimalisation was never this early. Or did the garage know something we didn't..?

• 11 months later...

Which era are you talking about for the Thorntons ?   You'd have to go back to the 1930s or earlier to find housing on Canal Street; since then it's been primarily industrial.

Foundry Yard was off Narrow Marsh, and there was a Railway Wharf off Wilford Road - so both in the area of Canal Street.