House building companies 1940s/50s

Hi, 

I wondered if any of you knew of the major house building companies exsisting in Nottingham around the late 1940s/early 50s. 

I’m after some information regarding the houses built at the top of Southdale road and oak dale road in Carlton. Or if anyone has any memories or photos of them being built that would be fantastic. 

Thank you for taking the time to read 

Not as big as Goodchild, but another name who built quite a few is W T Norris. Especially in the Lenton/Radford area.

This is the solicitor's invoice to my grandfather when he bought a new-build house on Dunlop Avenue, Lenton, in 1907. The builder was Norris, solicitor's fees £6/9/6d, and the house cost £300.

9P5QIKD.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Wow cliff ton, your family must of been very organised to have something like that to pass down through the generations! Thank you for taking the time to upload it, 

I was interested about the house builders in the Carlton area because they seem to be of a slightly unusual design for council houses (which they originally were built for) the houses have each been given a fairly substantial plot of land each with ample room at the side for extension or a large garage. I believe that before they were built it was all farm land and I just wondered if there were any photos out there of that area before or during the construction of the estate as it must of changed the landscape and economics of the area dramatically. 

Not saying they built the houses you're interested in but a 1949/1950 a firm called Progressive Builders of 107 Carlton Hill were advertising extensively in the local newspapers for tradesmen to fulfil contracts for housing schemes for Carlton Council at Valley Road and Southcliffe Road . 

Managing Director was a F.I.Greenwood .

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Saxon said:

I’m after some information regarding the houses built at the top of Southdale road and oak dale road in Carlton. Or if anyone has any memories or photos of them being built that would be fantastic. 

Look at this, especially using the Zoom facility.  https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW043934

• Like 1