Bottom line here is that nobody is forced to read or follow any thread or topic, so there room for all sorts of topics, so long as nobody insists on 'flooding' the site with excessive posts.

In my experience, many forums begin with a very specific topic, but over time, as forums mature and people develop friendships, they find that they share more interests than simply the original one.

My other favourite site started as a vehicle for its owner to discuss hi-fi and deal in second hand vinyl records. 

It developed into a broad 'audio' forum covering  Modern, D.I.Y build, 'Vintage' and 'Classic' kit,, Sales and Wants, Music, a very active and informative Photography section and an 'Off Topic' section carrying everything else, including very lively, but rarely acrimonious political debate.  Furthermore, there is such a large and varied membership, in many countries, that almost any appeal for help, advice or information, will result in some sort of helpful response.

It's all good.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've just noticed it's 9 years ago today - July 24th 2010 - that I first registered on Nottstalgia.   Have I been wasting my time ?

I've been a member of Nottstalgia since 2011 and have always had a lot of respect for Cliff Ton. He's done his job as a Moderator in an  unbiased and friendly way when other members became a little co

I enjoyed the ‘Posts and Sheds’ topic, it lightened up what was becoming a rather tiresome and boring forum.  Nobody is dominating the site now and the contributors enjoy friendly banter, much like No

Sorry to show my ignorance Brew, I always thought it referred to the upper echelons of intelligence . I stand corrected !  :flyswat:

• Like 1

I was something of a regular contributor to the forum for something over a year.

In early March, this year there was a very marked deterioration in the quality of posting and the site seemed to have been taken over by a load of troublemakers posting things about garden sheds (and other equally fatuous subjects).

I decided to give Nottstalgia a rest for a while until at least the garden sheds era was over.

I will always thank the forum for reestablishing my knowledge of colloquial English and, more specifically, my native dialect which, unfortunately, was rapidly disappearing.

Whether I'll be back on a regular basis, we'll see, although I do try and keep up to date with the forum goings-on as a lurker.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

I always thought it referred to the upper echelons of intelligence .

Nah, they are referred to as Sneintonians or Cliftonites………   :laughing:

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, jonab said:

I was something of a regular contributor to the forum for something over a year.

In early March, this year there was a very marked deterioration in the quality of posting and the site seemed to have been taken over by a load of troublemakers posting things about garden sheds (and other equally fatuous subjects).

I rather suspect you missed the point of some of those posts and threads, but as I said above, nobody is forced to read any thread they aren't interested in.

It's good to see you posting.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I enjoyed the ‘Posts and Sheds’ topic, it lightened up what was becoming a rather tiresome and boring forum.  Nobody is dominating the site now and the contributors enjoy friendly banter, much like Nottstalgia used to be a year or so ago. 

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

The idea was to get rid of a serial poster that was spoiling the site

I miss @IAN123. contributions. He posted some excellent pics and has an encyclopaedic knowledge of Nottingham. Add in some cracking Nottingham anecdotes and you’ve got what should be the perfect example of someone you want on a site dedicated to Nottingham.

Instead we get banal posts about bunions (I’ve just made that up, not been on much lately but you get the idea), cats etc. It’s a NOTTINGHAM site, not “Hello” magazine.

• Like 4

It's a site for Nottingham people, whether home or abroad,  and subsequently their lives, times, memories, and gossip.

Encyclopaedic 'knowledge' can be obtained from Google and Wikipedia, or, dare I say it, even fabricated.

• Like 7

Agreed.  As I see it all are welcome to contribute, or not, to read or ignore topics, etc.  Unless they become abusive of course.  Which has happened.

I'd have thought there was enough about Nottingham, both historically and currently, to keep most people happy. But some strong friendships have developed over time, mostly through meet ups.  People are interested in other people's lives, health, disasters and triumphs. It's human nature and in my book at least, it's the humanity shown here that makes it a welcoming place to be.

I reckon I've pretty much exhausted my supply of anecdotes and memories.. after all, I left Nottingham almost 50 years ago.  But it is still nice to keep in touch with both the city and some of its residents and ex-pats.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Exactly Col, I've made many online friends here, and likewise, several I've met at meetings and also bumped into locally. 

• Like 1

With all due respect Alan I would suggest you have not been on the site long enough to know the whole story, and that's as far as I'm going with that.

There are many fine Nottingham and area folks on the site some of us from much further away.  Some of us are getting quite a bit older.  Thus the play on nostalgia.

As well as knowing a lot about Nottingham from personal experience. Some of us have shared our health concerns and expressed concern for one another. If that concerns "bunions"  so be it.  Its hard for the member concerned.  No one is forced to read it.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Nice to see you back Jonab. As you will see the site is getting back to how it used to be . Happy , caring and considerate. May it continue without  the need of garden sheds and posts.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Can anyone shed some light on which posts he's referring to  ?  Sorry :rotfl:

• Like 3

There is a group called ""Men in sheds""

Its for blokes recovering from illnesses,, twice they've tried well asked if i I'd like to join,, chaps meet up and mek things,, not quite my thing,, lol

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Regarding the 'sheds' posts I referred to, I don't think it important whether they were instrumental in the deterioration of the quality of Nottstalgia at that time or a result of it. My point was that I found the forum to be not a very pleasant place then so I decided to give it a miss for a period.

Anyway, thanks for welcoming me back 'into the fold'.

Quite a lot has happened here in the time I've been away which I might relate in due course.

Some very minor thing that did happen the other day (which possibly encouraged my return) was that the owner of the local pharmacy contacted me requesting that I helped him in dealing with an English customer whom he was unable to understand. So, off I was driven to the pharmacy to try to help out. The details of the problem are irrelevant here but it made me starkly realise that my English knowledge, especially dialect, had markedly declined in the short time I had been back to almost exclusively french. Initially, hearing the East Anglian accent was akin to hearing a foreign language, not my native tongue being spoken is a not too difficult dialect.

The pharmacy episode made me realise I was becoming a bit of a recluse so I have decided, as well as coming back to Nottstalgia, to get out more and visit/revisit more of the multitude of fascinating places in and around where I live.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Yes Jonab when you only speak one language , you get into a rut. You eat , sleep and breathe that language. When you revert to your mother tongue the word you want or need to communicate just will not enter into your mouth. It happens frequently with me but then we speak English at home so its even more disconcerting. Very often though the word you can't think of in English is replaced by a word in Italian ( which fits the situation better so all is not lost)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I did wondered if someone who had never ever been to Nottingham could join this site & contribute to it's content & get away with it? We only around 12 or 15 regular posters & only 6 or 7 actually live in Nottingham? Some may have not been back here for years?   

I don't see why not RR. I think one lives in Dreamland, and a few in Cloud Cuckoo Land. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1