Well it’s still an OK Stilton but not one I would choose after many years of tasting. There is a distinctive bitter tase about it but that’s just my personal perception. They sell plenty of it so lots of people like it. Try it against Colston Basset when you get the opportunity and you’ll see what I mean. The dairy’s just ten miles from me whereas Long Clawson is in Leicestershire. Say no more!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's everyone eating for their main meal during this warm spell? I've gone off salads and find them insipid. So far this week I've had salmon en croute, a very hot curry and steak and kidney pie. Al

I’m no connoisseur but all Stilton cheeses taste the same to me.    

This is hot weather treat for your dog but only if they like peanut butter, put in a tray freeze it cut into pieces give them to your "babies" helps cool them down. Apologies if you knew already but i

Posted Images

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than eat Stilton or it's equally disgusting mate Gorgonzola. Blech... The best thing to accompany them is a trip to the bin..  ;)

3 minutes ago, Brew said:

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than eat Stilton or it's equally disgusting mate Gorgonzola. Blech... The best thing to accompany them is a trip to the bin..  ;)

Brew you've probably only tasted the strong Gorgonzola, it is very strong but there's a milder one and extremely creamy not strong at all. I used to be like you with any cheese but I've become not an addict but love it now.

You see it’s ‘chacon a son gout’. I’m not overly keen on Gorgonzola and there are plenty of blue cheeses produced in this country which are the equal of Stilton, if you like that sort of thing. I once brought a cheese back from France and had to bury it in the garden because it smelt so foul! Cheese and wine parties used to be a rather pleasant institution which seem to have died out. I must see if I can resurrect it. I’ve been to some where people had to be carried from the village hall because of a surfeit of wine. Those were the days!

The stuff my dad ate smelt so bad it made me gag so I never actually tasted it. He used to say he liked a cheese that could bite you back.

Love all Cheeses.........when i Managed Long Eaton Marsdens back in the 60s we had a cheese and bacon window which i enjoyed making attractive to the passing high street trade,,,,most folk back then just had either Cheddar or Cheshire,,,but at this particular Marsdens we also had and displayed ,,Danish Blue,,Gorgonzola,,Blue and White Stilton,,Derbyshire sage,,Red Leicester,,Double Gloucester,,Edam,,Gouda,,and probably more. 

The reason we were able to stock such a wide range ,was the fact that we supplied Grange Farm (restaurant) with all these cheeses on a daily basis,,,and deliver via the only female Granville i ever knew good old Sandra,,,loaded the basket for her and off she went bless her,,,

Can't recall him Phil,,,it was a very popular place for many a year,,,,is it still going ?

Er indoors used to do a lovely tagliatelle, with ham and she made a Stilton sauce to put on it. Lovely with garlic bread. Yummy !!

PS. Did Stilton ever get made in Stilton, off A1 near Peterborough?

Just had some Portobello mushrooms topped with sliced tomatoes, grated cheddar and a dollop of Stilton. Oven baked and enjoyed.

Had a look on Cropwell Bishops web site. They export to Australia and U S but not Europe, afraid of competition from France and Italy?

Cromwell  Bishop is one of the more recent Stilton makers although they produce other cheeses. They are just down the road from Colton Basset and probably share similar fungal spores.

39 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Er indoors used to do a lovely tagliatelle, with ham and she made a Stilton sauce to put on it. Lovely with garlic bread. Yummy !!

PS. Did Stilton ever get made in Stilton, off A1 near Peterborough?

The cheese was never made at Stilton but originally sold from there at the Blue Bell Inn on the old Great North Road. Stilton is in Cambridgeshire and the cheese can only be called Stilton if made in Notts, Leics or Derbyshire. They do make a Stilton style cheese at Stilton but complain because they can't legally call it Stilton Cheese.

Just preparing an aubergine and cherry tomato flan this time topped with Brie. Eaten hot or cold. Chili and garlic also added. Well it is hot weather food and you don't have to like it. It was what Phil was asking I was just answering.:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Today for lunch haricot navy beans of the phaseolus vulgaris variety in a sweet tangy tomato puree paste with a splash of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce, with a twist of Piper nigrum, plonked on radiant heated wheat flour dough spread with ............ Nuff of this bollocks Beans on toast .... Heinz!     

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RR I too like Heinz baked beans be it with black pepper or white even with a splah of Worcester Sauce but I just open the can. I ask you do you have a problem with me because I describe dishes I have made or eaten ? The topic is Hot weather foods . Even I have a problem knowing what to eat during the hot weather and if I can help some members who like me get fedup with salads and they can eat things a little out of the ordinary and being tasty then thats fine for me without the sarcasm.

I have described what type of veg because the ordinary type such as mushrooms and tomatoes are not particularly suitable for that type of dish. The sliced tomato that goes on top of the portobello would be too big to go on top of a normal sized mushroom. ( our tomatoes are extra large) and the cherry tomatoes when cooked stay firm and intact , they dont go to mush like ordinary tomatoes.

So you see it isnt a case of writing menus , if anyone would like to copy without me giving the full procedure its easily understood and I would leave the individual to put their own interpretation.

Buon appitito with your beans. smile2

Lucky you Phil, here it's still hot hot hot even the 2 days of storm hasn't changed much. Afraid for me at least it's back to boring salads and cool ideas .

I used to like Heinz tinned spaghetti cold, eaten straight out of the tin. It was vital that the strands were cut up before eating so that they didn't flick all over the place when scooped up.

Very difficult to obtain here and there aren't any acceptable substitutes.

• Like 1